• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay's International shipping service

67 posts in this topic

Of course many if not most Canadian eBay sellers don't give Canadian buyers a break either by charging US dollars for their listings. This annoys the out of me. It's just greed.

Cheers, Howard

This makes no sense. How is listing in US$ greedy?

The current exchange rate is $1.22 CAD for one American dollar. I can understand American sellers in the USA pricing in US dollars but not Canadian Sellers asking for that too. If I shop via eBay Canada, Canadian sellers still charge in US dollars penalizing me for buying from my own countrymen/women. My view is that Canadian sellers know about the exchange issues faced by Canadian buyers and should be a little more sympathetic. I mean even shipping on an item within Canada is charged with US dollars. Ouch!

Cheers, Howard

Ok let's look at this closer.

I do a lot of shopping on eBay in the UK and Europe. All of those items I have bought are not geared to the local shopper. I have yet to come across anyone charging something else other than their local currency.

I have bought quite a few comics from Australia. Their dollar is much like the Canadian one. Lousy against the U.S. Dollar in exchange. In fact I just checked it's worse than ours. Yet I have never seen an Australian listing pegged at anything other than the Australian dollar. I am not saying that it can't happen but if you look at listings there in general all I see is Aussie.

This is what I am driving at. It would be like I go to my local convenience store and find out they now charge for milk in US money. You may argue it's different but really it's not.

I know a lot of Canadian sellers will argue that since most of their buyers are American they should target that market. But there is nothing to stop them from charging Canadian dollars for their stuff. Nothing. If Canadian eBay sellers are targeting the U.S. Market by selling on eBay.com in U.S. Dollars then they should say bidding for Americans only. But of course they don't.

If I was a seller and targeting the US market, I could certainly think up a price I would like in US dollars and then factoring the exchange rate add on the appropriate to a Canadian dollar figure for the item. I don't agree 100% with this but at least it is not insulting the Canadian buyers market.

Thing is I have bought from some Canadian sellers and they do charge in our own currency. Kudos for them.

What bugs me still stands. Justify it anyway you want it's still greed(for some) that makes you charge US dollars over Canadian for our Canadian market. I am sure Canadian buyers are starting to nod theirs heads over this.

Think about it.

Cheers, Howard

20% of my eBay business is International and I don't use the Global Shipping Program - I opted out immediately.

I identified a long time ago the issues related to their system when it comes to adding custom charges to comic books going to countries that don't charge customs on them.

I still use the eBay shipping/bulk shipping tabs to print my own international labels and I still drop them off with the rest of my domestic orders so to me I don't see using GSP as any "simple" or "easier" than what I'm doing. If anything it would add another leg in shipping which could screw the shipment up or delay it.

You are my hero! :foryou:

20% of my eBay business is International and I don't use the Global Shipping Program - I opted out immediately.

I identified a long time ago the issues related to their system when it comes to adding custom charges to comic books going to countries that don't charge customs on them.

I still use the eBay shipping/bulk shipping tabs to print my own international labels and I still drop them off with the rest of my domestic orders so to me I don't see using GSP as any "simple" or "easier" than what I'm doing. If anything it would add another leg in shipping which could screw the shipment up or delay it.

You are my hero! :foryou:

+1 (thumbs u

What he is saying is this:

Ex:

If he goes to a local comic shop to buy a copy of Amazing Spider-man #300 for $300, it'll be $300 + tax.

If he goes on eBay to buy the exact same copy of Amazing Spider-man #300, lets say, for arguments sake, from that local comic shop's eBay page. It will be listed in USD not CAD and therefore, he will be paying $422.00 for that exact same book.

That's what he is complaining about. Buying something within Canada costs more than it should IN Canada.

It ticked me off when I first started eBaying as well because I thought exactly that, greedy SOB's.

Then I started selling on eBay.ca and discovered that if I don't list the price in USD, it won't appear on eBay.com, narrowing my potential sales. At least that's what I read waaay back when I first started selling. Not sure if it's still true.

sorry-- didn't mean that to be pointed directly at you per se.

Seems like it makes sense to charge in the currency that you seller uses most or that both parties agree on. Now on eBay-- say you had an item that got invoiced and noticed the person lived in Canada, couldn't you suggest they pay you X amount in Canadian dollars via pay pal and just mark the item paid for on eBay?>

Of course many if not most Canadian eBay sellers don't give Canadian buyers a break either by charging US dollars for their listings. This annoys the out of me. It's just greed.

Cheers, Howard

This makes no sense. How is listing in US$ greedy?

The current exchange rate is $1.22 CAD for one American dollar. I can understand American sellers in the USA pricing in US dollars but not Canadian Sellers asking for that too. If I shop via eBay Canada, Canadian sellers still charge in US dollars penalizing me for buying from my own countrymen/women. My view is that Canadian sellers know about the exchange issues faced by Canadian buyers and should be a little more sympathetic. I mean even shipping on an item within Canada is charged with US dollars. Ouch!

Cheers, Howard

Three words - ebay dot CA

Fair enough. I asked if he assumed it was the same price in US. Most collectible stores would have increased their CDN price. Most stores I know have already increased the CDN price on regular books or are planning to soon. So the $3 book will now be priced at $3.50 or $4 CDN plus tax.
What terrible people are you buying from? I haven't seen that anywhere. In fact, all comic shops in the BC region sells graphic novels (for example) at US price, not CAD price.

sorry-- didn't mean that to be pointed directly at you per se.

Seems like it makes sense to charge in the currency that you seller uses most or that both parties agree on. Now on eBay-- say you had an item that got invoiced and noticed the person lived in Canada, couldn't you suggest they pay you X amount in Canadian dollars via pay pal and just mark the item paid for on eBay?>

No, because eBay charges a final value fee to the seller based on the 'sold' price on eBay, not Paypal. So you would end up losing $ on every transaction if you did it that way.

"Three words - ebay dot CA"

Sure prices shown are in CAD and sellers can be narrowed down to Canadian sellers only but click on the link to get to the item and bingo actual auction is in US dollars. The CAD price shown is just the result of conversion to US dollars at current exchange rates. No deal there for Canadian bidders and these are listings from Canadian sellers.

I don't see why all this is so hard to understand but perhaps this is because it's been status quo for so long no one ever challenges it. I guess until the American market dries up ( yeah right ) Canadian sellers don't need to worry about who they are selling to and what price.

Cheers, Howard

"Three words - ebay dot CA"

Sure prices shown are in CAD and sellers can be narrowed down to Canadian sellers only but click on the link to get to the item and bingo actual auction is in US dollars. The CAD price shown is just the result of conversion to US dollars at current exchange rates. No deal there for Canadian bidders and these are listings from Canadian sellers.

I don't see why all this is so hard to understand but perhaps this is because it's been status quo for so long no one ever challenges it. I guess until the American market dries up ( yeah right ) Canadian sellers don't need to worry about who they are selling to and what price.

Cheers, Howard

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but I think you're still missing the key point here.

Let's first recognize that comics (at least the kind that most of us collect and talk about here on the boards) are denominated in American dollars... They have US cover prices, for example, and although they may have cover prices in other currencies, these are always extrapolated from the US base price. They also appear in price guides, like Overstreet, which provide values in US dollars.

In a sense, the "value" of comics as traded commodities is denominated in US dollars. Thus, when a knowledgable seller, on ebay or elsewhere, wants to sell a book, the base price will be in US dollars. Of course, it's possible that they may price it in another currency, but that new price will always be based on the core US dollar value. As others in this thread have pointed out, the US $400 will be priced as CDN $500, because in real terms, those two prices are exactly the same.

You're complaining about the price of the book rising because of currency values. In fact, the price of the books is remaining exactly the same - the difference arises because your Canadian money is actually worth less. The cost/value of the book is static.