• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swamp Thing Rulz the Copper Age!
7 7

317 posts in this topic

Very cool.  Thanks for sharing a photo. That issue was so hard for me to find in 9.8.  I got impatient and at one point starting buying a ton of raw copies online to try and hit the lottery, so to speak.  None of the 20+ raw copies I got cut the mustard though.  I was finally able to wrestle this one away from someone’s personal collection by paying three times what other Moore 9.8’s went for.  It was totally worth it to me though.  I loved the Swamp Thing space travel story arc and this was the first time he met a Green Lantern.

5 hours ago, jdandns said:

Here is some original art (by Veitch/Alcala) from late in the Moore era, issue #61 "All Flesh is Grass".

There is an effects stat (called a "surprint") that lays atop on this page.

Shown is the original art page, the effect overlay, and the final printed work.

st61a.jpg

st61e.jpg

st61color.jpg

2A447378-AF12-49CE-AE45-33D751D16660.jpeg

#61 was only the second issue in the new format and I remember seeing copies with a lot of color rub on the covers across the line those first few months.

DC used those matte covers with very little of the UV coating at first with that format, so that must've been murder on that largely black cover (also on 60 & 64). By the time the various titles became Vertigo, the covers were much shinier beasts.

Great thread, congrats on your collections, those who have posted

I started regularly buying the 80s title around #35 or so, but quickly picked up all back issues, got the original series, and have not missed an issue since through all incarnations since. Beside the various Moore arcs which remain the standard, I regard the Veitch stories and Mark Millar's "River Run" as the highpoints of Swampy's adventures

The ones that have been giving me fits to find in 9.8 lately are these Walmart exclusive 100 page giants.

56 minutes ago, jdandns said:

#61 was only the second issue in the new format and I remember seeing copies with a lot of color rub on the covers across the line those first few months.

DC used those matte covers with very little of the UV coating at first with that format, so that must've been murder on that largely black cover (also on 60 & 64). By the time the various titles became Vertigo, the covers were much shinier beasts.

Great thread, congrats on your collections, those who have posted

I started regularly buying the 80s title around #35 or so, but quickly picked up all back issues, got the original series, and have not missed an issue since through all incarnations since. Beside the various Moore arcs which remain the standard, I regard the Veitch stories and Mark Millar's "River Run" as the highpoints of Swampy's adventures

The best I've been able to do on these so far are 9.6's.  Arrgghh! I hate getting 9.6's back from CGC.  I guess it beats a green or purple label though.

Swamp Thing vol. 7 #03 a.jpg

Swamp Thing vol. 7 #04 a.jpg

Swamp Thing vol. 8 #04 a.jpg

No.  I wish it was large because I think it's an awesome painting.  It's a Vertigo trading card.  Luckily I was able to get this one without having to buy the entire box set.  I was the only one who bid on it.  The shipping was more than the card.

23 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Is this a print? 

I'm a little stoked, but it isn't actually here yet. I was perusing the @mycomicshop website to research some pricing and market saturation and learned something ... not everything they have is on eBay. I'm a huge Swampy fan and always seem to be looking for something cool, and this is autographed on the splash by Alan Moore of possibly my favorite Swamp Thing issue, Annual # 2. Many consider it the first evolution prototype of Justice League Dark :cloud9: I met Moore. Bissette, and Totleben at a Con in New York City before this book was even published. I think Bissette was working on issue 28 or 29 at the show. Their enthusiasm was contagious and I started buying the title again. I loved the character since the Wrightson days, so the choice was easy. It soon became my favorite back then ... barely nudging out Byrne's Fantastic Four. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

z6xSaoD.jpg

c2eHcdq.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

I'm a little stoked, but it isn't actually here yet. I was perusing the @mycomicshop website to research some pricing and market saturation and learned something ... not everything they have is on eBay

FYI, there was indeed a listing for this book on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/363411027886

There isn't any part of our inventory that isn't automatically posted to eBay.

Glad you found a cool addition to your Swamp Thing collection!

1 hour ago, mycomicshop said:

FYI, there was indeed a listing for this book on eBayhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/363411027886

There isn't any part of our inventory that isn't automatically posted to eBay.

Glad you found a cool addition to your Swamp Thing collection!

My apologies... your site must instantly delete the eBay listing, which is good. Thanks again. GOD BLESS...

8 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I'm a little stoked, but it isn't actually here yet. I was perusing the @mycomicshop website to research some pricing and market saturation and learned something ... not everything they have is on eBay. I'm a huge Swampy fan and always seem to be looking for something cool, and this is autographed on the splash by Alan Moore of possibly my favorite Swamp Thing issue, Annual # 2. Many consider it the first evolution prototype of Justice League Dark :cloud9: I met Moore. Bissette, and Totleben at a Con in New York City before this book was even published. I think Bissette was working on issue 28 or 29 at the show. Their enthusiasm was contagious and I started buying the title again. I loved the character since the Wrightson days, so the choice was easy. It soon became my favorite back then ... barely nudging out Byrne's Fantastic Four. GOD BLESS....

z6xSaoD.jpg

c2eHcdq.jpg

I’m happy to know a fellow boardie got this, as I nearly pulled the trigger on it myself!

Many, many congrats!!!!!
I’m your huckleberry if it ever needs to depart your collection!

I think MCS also had several other Swampys signed by Moore as well, including a #21. I am deeply sorry that one escaped me.

It didn’t meet Bissette & Tottleben as early as you did, but I had a similar experience & I got back into reading Swampy around 35 - the Nukeface Papers. I had picked up #25 off the stands & thought it was pretty good, but it took me another 10 months to dive back in monthly. 

The Arcane story that finishes in Annual #2 is amazing. That story still gives me the creeps. One of the reasons I love Moore’s run on the title so much.

Edited by HighVoltage
Can’t spell

I bought this one in 1986 in the back issue bins at my childhood LCS.  I didn’t know it was signed by Moore until I took it home and read it.  The store hadn’t labeled it as being signed.  Although this was before Watchmen so I don’t think an Alan Moore signature would have commanded a premium anyway 

DC6A5973-D414-4213-843D-205B0043976E.jpeg

46ABEFF1-2B68-4E59-910D-31431AE5E1ED.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I bought this one in 1986 in the back issue bins at my childhood LCS.  I didn’t know it was signed by Moore until I took it home and read it.  The store hadn’t labeled it as being signed.  Although this was before Watchmen so I don’t think an Alan Moore signature would have commanded a premium anyway 

DC6A5973-D414-4213-843D-205B0043976E.jpeg

46ABEFF1-2B68-4E59-910D-31431AE5E1ED.jpeg

That is wonderful!

What a tremendous bonus to go with the purchase!

Congrats!!!

ST 21 is one of those books that I'll buy it if I see it.... even if I have a copy. Oddly, the books I impulsively buy extras of aren't SA or GA, but the newer books. ST favorites, like 21, 34, and Annual 2 are typical, as are especially high grade McFarlane ASM's that are 10 bucks or less. GOD BLESS...

17 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

I think MCS also had several other Swampys signed by Moore as well, including a #21. I am deeply sorry that one escaped me.

I, too, would have placed a high premium on that issue\. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)