• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swamp Thing Rulz the Copper Age!
7 7

317 posts in this topic

I don't know how people could stand waiting for this book each month.

Truly, the single best comic book published at the time, bar none, hands down.

Nothing else even came close.

Back in the day, my first 3 reads off my stack each month were Swamp Thing, Sandman and Animal Man. Just wonderful stuff DC was putting out at the time! :cloud9:

Yes...."My Blue Heaven" from #56 is an outstanding story.

(thumbs u

Just read it for the first time, a sad, yet visually striking tale of solace. This is one that definitely stands out in the title.

One of my big "regrets" was, many years ago, hesitating on purchasing a page from this issue. I forget what/whose site it was on. I balked a little at the asking price (maybe $300-375???) initially. I took a few days to noodle it and when I finally decided that, Yes! I should pull the trigger, it was gone. :tonofbricks:

Yes...."My Blue Heaven" from #56 is an outstanding story.

(thumbs u

Just read it for the first time, a sad, yet visually striking tale of solace. This is one that definitely stands out in the title.

One of my big "regrets" was, many years ago, hesitating on purchasing a page from this issue. I forget what/whose site it was on. I balked a little at the asking price (maybe $300-375???) initially. I took a few days to noodle it and when I finally decided that, Yes! I should pull the trigger, it was gone. :tonofbricks:

:(

I just finished Alana Moore's run, I wish would have started years ago. I'm sure I'll re-read the TPBs at least once a year from here on out.

Concerning #60, "Loving the Alien," I'm not going to lie, I had to go back and re-read it. The art work was great, but I couldn't quite follow. I could read the words but I could barely follow along. Is Swamp Thing now an H.R. Giger-esq Borg baby daddy?

It's essentially a story about Swampy, in his universe hopping journey back to earth, encountering a "mechanical planet", and taking on the "essence" of that world, and how foreign it is to what he knows.

So, Swampy was burned out in Swamp Thing #53, right? And in the process, they shot him with a neural disruptor, so he can't "leap into the green" on earth, which should have killed him. He "leaps" into space, and ends up as far away as he can get, which is why he is on the blue world in #56, the red world of #57, Rann and/or Thanagar in #58, and that mechanical world in #60.

Each time, Moore explores what the "world consciousness" of each of these places is. #56 is especially compelling. So is #60. It's about as alien to the way Swampy thinks as it gets. There's nothing "green", but it's still "alive", at least in some sense.

It's really quite cool. Fascinating concepts.

Sorry if I get some of the details wrong, it's been a few years since I red these.

Seriously, folks, it's really the best damn series published in the 80's. Yes, there are individual stories that are better, but there is nothing...meaning nothing...that was as consistently incredible for so long as Moore's run on Swampy. 65 (63 if you don't count Veitch's #59 and #62) issues of spine-tingling, thought-provoking immenseness, and Moore didn't have to resort to gratuitous violence and/or sex to accomplish it.

I can think of no several year series, before or since, as incredibly wonderful as this one.

Maybe I'm overselling it.

I don't think I am.

Seriously, folks, it's really the best damn series published in the 80's. Yes, there are individual stories that are better, but there is nothing...meaning nothing...that was as consistently incredible for so long as Moore's run on Swampy. 65 (63 if you don't count Veitch's #59 and #62) issues of spine-tingling, thought-provoking immenseness, and Moore didn't have to resort to gratuitous violence and/or sex to accomplish it.

I can think of no several year series, before or since, as incredibly wonderful as this one.

I don't think I am.

I don't think you are at all, but for those of us that grew up on the Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson intro, we stuck our tongues out at the initial reboot, only to be sucked in again when Moore, Veitch and Bissette took over. :cool:

I don't think I am.

I don't think you are at all, but for those of us that grew up on the Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson intro, we stuck our tongues out at the initial reboot, only to be sucked in again when Moore, Veitch and Bissette took over. :cool:

Marty Pasko is a capable writer, but he certainly didn't have any vision for the character,

Rich Henn package in the house ! ....... I don't have many SS books..... but I couldn't pass on this one.... this was, at the time, probably the wildest comic I had ever read, and while choosing a favorite issue of SOTST is impossible for me, this one does tend to rise to the top...... and the sig placement is superb, and a work of art in itself. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Swamp%20Thing%2034%20CGC%209.6...SS.jpg

Rich Henn package in the house ! ....... I don't have many SS books..... but I couldn't pass on this one.... this was, at the time, probably the wildest comic I had ever read, and while choosing a favorite issue of SOTST is impossible for me, this one does tend to rise to the top...... and the sig placement is superb, and a work of art in itself. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Swamp%20Thing%2034%20CGC%209.6...SS.jpg

awesome, awesome run

legend ....