• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swamp Thing Rulz the Copper Age!
7 7

317 posts in this topic

This thread needs a bump!

I just picked up volume 5 and 6 of the Moore run, I think I'll start over before reading 5 and 6 to refresh myself. I also picked up two volumes of the Veitch (sp?) run on eBay. But, I'll need the oop vol. 7, Regenises, to fill in the gap. :mad:

After months of searching various comic shops, I finally found the oop vol. 7 (Swampy #64-70). This was almost the bane of my existence. Every shop I went to in Denver or Colorado Springs over the last year had all six volumes of the Moore run, most even had duplicates of the previous printings with different cover art, and of course books 8 and 9, but never book 7. Now I can continue the series, post Moore.

Back to the swamp for me!

So, I was excited to find a Swamp Thing (Saga of) #25 for $5 at a show a few months ago. Pretty good shape, I'd say 8.5 at least... before I decided to open the book a week or so ago when reading through and I noticed a small portion clipped out of the mail page. Nothing that interferes with the story, but still... how much would a clipping like this alter the value of a book like this?

So, I was excited to find a Swamp Thing (Saga of) #25 for $5 at a show a few months ago. Pretty good shape, I'd say 8.5 at least... before I decided to open the book a week or so ago when reading through and I noticed a small portion clipped out of the mail page. Nothing that interferes with the story, but still... how much would a clipping like this alter the value of a book like this?

Significantly. I would never grade a book with a clip-out above a Good. If it affects story it should be an automatic Fair.

I was always surprised how little the actual issues are worth, considering how great the run is to read.

They aren't worth enough, I agree. To me a NM SOTST 21 should be $200 and a 9.8 s/b 1k. So I bought 25 of them (shrug) I think they are terrific value. Books 1/10 as interesting and just as common go for the same money.

I was always surprised how little the actual issues are worth, considering how great the run is to read.

They aren't worth enough, I agree. To me a NM SOTST 21 should be $200 and a 9.8 s/b 1k. So I bought 25 of them (shrug) I think they are terrific value. Books 1/10 as interesting and just as common go for the same money.

20 and 21 did spike in the 80's, but it seemed like the hotness went from Indy B&W, to hot artists, to Bronze reboots and 1st apps, and more hot artists - then the summer of Batman, more hot artists, X-men 1 Spidey 1 and Spawn 1 then huge dump.

20 and 21 did spike in the 80's, but it seemed like the hotness went from Indy B&W, to hot artists, to Bronze reboots and 1st apps, and more hot artists - then the summer of Batman, more hot artists, X-men 1 Spidey 1 and Spawn 1 then huge dump.

Oh I know. ST 21 was one of my first comics and it was already $25 or so when I got it. So when I see them at the same price or less 30 years later the mind boggles ;) considering the quality and impact of the issue.

Finally found a copy of Saga of swamp Thing #21 worth my purchase earlier this week... when I took it to the register I was excited when the owner said he had #20 behind the counter for $20. But, alas, it was the first volume. Oh well, I guess off to the 'bay I go.

Also, as far as Justice League Dark is concerned, which one is truly the book to have; #49, #50, or Annual #2? I have 2 of #49, 4 of #50, and none of Annual #2? For the record, I always thought it was #50...

Edited by BishopT

Finally found a copy of Saga of swamp Thing #21 worth my purchase earlier this week... when I took it to the register I was excited when the owner said he had #20 behind the counter for $20. But, alas, it was the first volume. Oh well, I guess off to the 'bay I go.

Also, as far as Justice League Dark is concerned, which one is truly the book to have; #49, #50, or Annual #2? I have 2 of #49, 4 of #50, and none of Annual #2? For the record, I always thought it was #50...

If you read issue 49 I think you would have your answer.

If you read issue 49 I think you would have your answer.

That's true, but I'd be sure to have all three in my collection. :)

I guess it is #49, then. I have read #49, but it was well over a decade ago and in the form of a trade, so forgive me for not having that great of a memory of it. I'm currently in the process of rereading them (in single issue form when I can, I have the first two trades of the run currently) and haven't even reached the introduction of Constantine yet.

I don't even remember if the annual was included in the trade...

Edited by BishopT

I guess it is #49, then. I have read #49, but it was well over a decade ago and in the form of a trade, so forgive me for not having that great of a memory of it. I'm currently in the process of rereading them (in single issue form when I can, I have the first two trades of the run currently) and haven't even reached the introduction of Constantine yet.

I don't even remember if the annual was included in the trade...

The story in the Annual is the last part of the story from #29-#31.

I've been watching this for months on eBay, and when the seller dropped the price I jumped on it. This is probably my favorite cover from the Alan Moore run. It represents a major development point in the character; Swamp Thing finally puts Alec Holland to rest alongside his own humanity, embracing his true elemental nature. His thousand-mile stare as he carries Holland's splayed skeleton to the hand-dug grave, rain beating down, is chilling.

25343924779_51d90870ac_b.jpg

I've been watching this for months on eBay, and when the seller dropped the price I jumped on it. This is probably my favorite cover from the Alan Moore run. It represents a major development point in the character; Swamp Thing finally puts Alec Holland to rest alongside his own humanity, embracing his true elemental nature. His thousand-mile stare as he carries Holland's splayed skeleton to the hand-dug grave, rain beating down, is chilling.

A very elegant description as well as a very nice piece you now have, Vorpal. This cover is amazing, I only have one Swamp Thing slab, you're now making want to get more. It's good to see tracking in this wonderful thread again, congratulations!

:golfclap: