• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When will the VARIANT COVER bubble burst

51 posts in this topic

Holy mess, really? There is one of those not 5 miles from me...

...dammit, looks like I am going out in the rain (again), to the mall, on a Friday night!

*EDIT* Called them first to make sure they had some, got a weird story - the guy on the phone says they have them but "aren't allowed to sell them right now." He said he didn't know why, and they are inthe store, but not for sale at this time.

This may be my paranoia kicking in, but maybe the manager saw how much they were going for on the aftermarket and is hoarding them?

:frustrated:

-slym

We are only a con or two away from having a ONE-OF-A-KIND Variant for every person who wants to buy one.

They already have that--blank covers sketched and entombed in a SS. :grin:

I like variant covers, although Star Wars did get out of hand by the time it released (didn't stop me from buying a few though).

Holy mess, really? There is one of those not 5 miles from me...

...dammit, looks like I am going out in the rain (again), to the mall, on a Friday night!

*EDIT* Called them first to make sure they had some, got a weird story - the guy on the phone says they have them but "aren't allowed to sell them right now." He said he didn't know why, and they are inthe store, but not for sale at this time.

This may be my paranoia kicking in, but maybe the manager saw how much they were going for on the aftermarket and is hoarding them?

:frustrated:

-slym

That actually makes sense. They're given certain days to open product.

I went to two stores so far and neither of them had copies.

One of the LCS here gets their delivery in on Wednesday evening, but have to wait until the following morning to start selling, so not necessarily any sinister reason for the delay.

We are only a con or two away from having a ONE-OF-A-KIND Variant for every person who wants to buy one.

They already have that--blank covers sketched and entombed in a SS. :grin:

Yeah, the sketch covers are one-of-a-kind for sure. But they're still a lot of people who aren't into them as true "variants" because they aren't "published". If Marvel (or whomever) opened a booth and "published" your one-of-a-kind variant, I think you'd have people kicking their grandmother over to get one.

And, yes - that's all just semantics - but it's those semantics that help define variants. :banana:

Yeah, the sketch covers are one-of-a-kind for sure. But they're still a lot of people who aren't into them as true "variants" because they aren't "published". If Marvel (or whomever) opened a booth and "published" your one-of-a-kind variant, I think you'd have people kicking their grandmother over to get one.

And, yes - that's all just semantics - but it's those semantics that help define variants. :banana:

I hear ya, I was thinking that taken to an extreme, a hand-sketched cover is about as one of a kind as you get for a "variant". You're right, it's not an official variant so a line can be drawn there.

Have there been cases of hand drawn covers that are official? Kind of like the special hand-drawn inserts put into packs of collectible cards. Your example of a published one-of-a-kind is getting pretty close, look at the Ant Man #1 shrinking variant. I know that Disney does an art-on-demand program where you can order any image you want in the format you want, that same tech can be applied to comics easily.

I like variants. I've started liking the cover art more and more lately. I don't think it will bust, but I don't think it will get worse than it is. I don't see anything wrong with a different cover with the same story.

I mean, who really cares?

.well, aside from the OP.

I don't like Variants because I am not that "up" on what modern books I have bought or not. So when I go to the LCS and look at the new books shelf I can recognize a book i have bought for the most part by the cover. Add in the variants and suddenly I am not that sure.

Just confuses things to me.

Just don't buy them...?

(shrug)

It's not that simple.

If you are a completionist, I get it.

It happens to me too...

If not, why isn't it?

People are freaking out about the Star Wars covers, but who cares? Just don't get them. If they don't sell, Marvel gets the point.

But they do sell. Because most collectors love them.

The bubble for 90% of variants bursts anywhere between 30 days after release to a year after release. Of those that retain value, I'd say half have a couple years, a decade at best. And the other half (about five percent of total variant covers?) will just hold their value, or at the very least not be dollar bin fodder in the foreseeable future.

Ah... hopefully that is all it is. I only want two copies... maybe three.

:lol:

Thanks, JL!

-slym

NEW INFORMATION: All hot topic stores were told to hold the Star Wars Hot Topic Variants due to a Funko Pop advertisment that isn't supposed to be seen by the general public yet.

No word as of yet for when the books will be released.