• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My disappearance...

52 posts in this topic

While I am sure I was hardly missed, I had to leave the boards for a while (almost 3 months) due to my job getting nuts, which put my blood pressure into a very dangerous area. i have two kids and didn't want to drop dead, but couldn't take a leave from my job because the sh*t was really hitting the fan there. Anyway, my apologies as I had a sales thread where I had not sent out some of the invoices and I just didn't do it before disappearing because I did not want to get anyone's money and then take forever to ship their stuff because I was getting home from work at 2 a.m. and passing out. I just did not even want to come here to check my messages because 2 minutes can turn into 2 hours and I have an addictive problem with these boards. Needed to temporarily quit cold turkey. I have not even been to a comic shop in 3 months. Anyway, things have cooled down at work, my BP is back down to 120/80 from 160/120 and my overlords love me again, so the BP was mainly stress related and not just because i am grossly overweight. Still broke and have a pizzed off wife, but such is life. Anyway, I'm back, but I don't think i can ever spend as much time here as I used to.
Welcome back.Your health is always priority number 1.

Welcome back blob! :foryou:

It‘s really important that you strive to lose some weight, IMO.

I have a good friend which is a lawyer, too and I know how much this can be harmful when the work produces nervous tension. Not that nervous tension is good if you are skinny, but you get the point.

It’s also a kind of job which can get you too involved (and not in a good way) if you are a sensitive person and take it seriously, but of course it depends also on which is your area of exercise. Pray for my friend if you can, as at the moment I am a bit worried for him and his wife.

yup, i need to get my sh*t together in more ways than one, but my weight is a huge priority. the work stress would probably have less impact were i not lugging around an extra human worth of weight on my frame all the time. plus i'd probably have more success in finding a better paying job were i not a fatty. the irony is that i took a government job, in part, for lifestyle reasons, which was true my first few years, but due to hiring freezes and changes in management, i often work just as many hours as i did in private practice...and for less than half of what i was making 11 years ago. with twice as many expenses.

i'll stop whining. i should be happy to have a job and a healthy family (other than me at least). some people here have had real financial and health problems.

Heres my story. I was working as a VP at a bank in Manhattan. I was 27 and the youngest VP they ever had. Was maing 100K , had a town car to take me home any night I worked past 8pm. Bonus was like 15K a year. BUT I was working from 5am to 7pm at night (Banker hours) and getting home at 9pm or later. I was getting head aches all the time. , Had stomach issues. Had a nervous twitch in my eye and hand . Went to the doctor and my BP was 170 over 110. Started taking Blood Pressure pills at a young age. Got married, my son was born. was missing his Tball games , i would get home and he would be asleep by the window, , he tried to wait for me. and one day I decided that I had enough. I looked for anther job and took a position in NJ local to my house (half hour drive) . Making 45K a year as an accounting clerk (suffice to say my wife was not happy when I told her and then told her she needed to go back to work) . Was the best thing I ever did. Now years later I am still on Bp meds but most of my issues are gone and I am healthy. I dont make much money anymore but I have a job where i work 9-5 only , no nights and no weekends. Low stress. Money is not the be all end all. So much happier. I have made every family event and every ball game of my sons and again my health is great.

Heres my story. I was working as a VP at a bank in Manhattan. I was 27 and the youngest VP they ever had. Was maing 100K , had a town car to take me home any night I worked past 8pm. Bonus was like 15K a year. BUT I was working from 5am to 7pm at night (Banker hours) and getting home at 9pm or later. I was getting head aches all the time. , Had stomach issues. Had a nervous twitch in my eye and hand . Went to the doctor and my BP was 170 over 110. Started taking Blood Pressure pills at a young age. Got married, my son was born. was missing his Tball games , i would get home and he would be asleep by the window, , he tried to wait for me. and one day I decided that I had enough. I looked for anther job and took a position in NJ local to my house (half hour drive) . Making 45K a year as an accounting clerk (suffice to say my wife was not happy when I told her and then told her she needed to go back to work) . Was the best thing I ever did. Now years later I am still on Bp meds but most of my issues are gone and I am healthy. I dont make much money anymore but I have a job where i work 9-5 only , no nights and no weekends. Low stress. Money is not the be all end all. So much happier. I have made every family event and every ball game of my sons and again my health is great.

Damn, that's a great story. :applause:

Damn, that's a great story. :applause:

Thank you

That stress and blood pressure is no joke. Mine is normally 130 over 90. Last weekend I had to travel to where my family is to put my dad in a VA home. It was very stressful. At one point I felt lite headed and my heart was racing.

Took my BP and it was 175/125. Scary.

I have that problem when I get near some kryptonite...don't tell anyone...

Good to see you back. (thumbs u

As to blood pressure:

1. Get a pet;

2. Change your diet;

3. Get some exercise.

MY BP is the lowest on the planet, but then I barely weigh 180.

My goal is to get down to 0 over 0. It'll take time but that's my goal.

@the_blob - good to hear you are back

It sounds similar to the career change I made, though mine was switching from being a partner to a sole owner. The transition process was rough, and it becomes less about money even when you aren't taking a pay cut. My priority was achieving a work lifestyle that allowed me to be around my kids more.

I need to fix a lot of things in my life (diet and exercise being way up on that list), but other than my kids' fish, no pets in my foreseeable future. I have a three year old boy. He's a lot like a puppy.

From what my lawyer friends tell me being a lawyer can be very stressful. Lots of hours. Pay isn`t like it use to be for some reason which causes much stress when you add in long hours.

For a diet and exercise REBOOT I would suggest

WALK AWAY THE POUNDS.

ATKINS DIET

I would suggest trying these two combined for at least 6 months. I am sure you will feel healthier and lose weight.

Good luck.