• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George Perez List POLL ADDED!

35 posts in this topic

Infinity Gauntlet #1 or Avengers #196 for me. Avengers #196 looks great signed.

Yeah, those seem to be two choices I'm gravitating towards also.

Avengers 196 cover is just BEGGING for the artist's sig. But I think IG1 is a bigger key.

Have him sign the splash to NTT 2 or DC Presents 26

Which brings up the eternal question: Cover vs Splash?

Splash Pros:

1) Preserves the "pristineness" of the cover and doesn't obliterate the art.

2) Possibly increases potential buyers who don't want "defaced" covers.

Splash Con:

1) You can't even see the sig on the splash in a slab so why have it, unless you crack the slab... and if you do crack the slab open then it's not an "authentic" sig anymore!

Cover Pros:

1) If done well, it might actually enhance the "art" of the cover (think Steranko).

2) You can actually see it in a slab.

Cover Cons:

1) Lot of sigs are just scribbles with bad placement.

2) Some folks just will NOT buy a cover-sig book. Period.

Then there's back-door guys (sigs on the back cover) which I guess preserves the cover-art but still lets you see the sig if you turn it around. I dunno but I think getting an artist's sig on a back-cover "Learn How To Draw" advertisement is a little tacky (but ironic though!).

So what about those authentic "Neal Adams Holo-stickers" or "Stan Lee Holo-stickers" you can get if you decide not to SS your book? I've never gotten one of those - where do people usually stick them? And do THOSE decrease the value of the book "Grader Notes: Sticker on back of book".

Another reason NTT #1 is great as a SS: most Perez covers are "busy" with a lot of detail and action (similar to Alex Schomberg covers). NTT #1 has a very neat layout and there is a fair amount of "clean" space at the bottom of that cover for his signature. I had him SS my personal copy of NTT #1 that I bought for 50 cents off the spinner rack. :cloud9:

I definitely agree with the back cover sigs as well as the Splash vs Cover breakdown.

Ultimtaley for me it comes down to placements, etc. I have Steranko sigs because he places it well and the signatue looks good. Stan Lee, i only have him sign relatively "avergae" books. I'd never ask his to sign an ASM 1 or any other high value books because his sig looks bad. I have one book signed by him, ASM 90. For Perez, I probably want a semi key signed, nothing super high value, but I also dont want your run of mill book. I'll probably bring like 3 books and talk to him, maybe ask him which is favorite, etc.

First world problems...

Being a big NTT fan, I agree with the suggestions of New Teen Titans #1, even though the #26-44 run are my favorite issues.

New Teen Titans #1 is iconic. Also worth noting that Perez wasn't just a hired hand on the title, but actually co-created/co-plotted the NTT team with Wolfman.

I did #6, #7, and #10 of Crisis on Infinite Earths (along with Jerry Ordway) and other other Perez series as well.

My #7

3110131922051.jpg

But here is the one that I would still like to get done. It is an odd choice but I have always liked this cover.

1301131802003.jpg

For me, the Wonder Woman #1 or a NTT #1 or #2 would be great to have signed by George. If you go with a Wonder Woman #1 (one of my favorite covers of all time!) - I think the issue below shows a good placement for signature:

16354567012_a01bdeed74_c.jpg

This one used to be in my collection; but alas, I sold it a few months ago :(