• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"My mom threw mine away"

85 posts in this topic

When I was 10 I had to get my tonsils out so I got to pick as many comics as I wanted. There's nothing like sitting in the hospital in your tiger jammies reading comics, man.

il_570xN.669247494_7hss.jpg

My mom never threw out my books, but she disregarded them and on occassion if they were on the floor being sorted, she had no problems stepping on them as she went by.

My en dad one time was yelling at me and picked up a stack of my books and chucked them across the room with all his might. My dad was a real .

Both of them used to berate me for collecting comics and sports cards. Still, that wasn't as bad as him trying to kill my dog one day because he was in a argument with my mom or my mom trying to drown my pet mouse for the same reason.

My relationship with him was strained all the way up to the day he died. I'm ok with my mom these days, but never really forgave her. Best thing I ever did was leave home for the USMC.

My mom always saved my comics, but like Jazzman they probably weren't worth saving.

At my old LCS. one of the older employees used to tell me stories about getting all the Marvel silver age books. Him and the owner used to ride the bus into the city, and then ride their bikes out stopping at every pharmacy and buying all the comics.

Apparently one day his mom trashed his books without him knowing in the early 70s or so. He said he literally had every issue of all the Marvel books- and sometimes he even had multiples.

Very cool story. Nice that you and your dad had that bond. I didn't get along with my dad very well untill I became an adult. I found that I am more and more like him in a good way. Now my grandpa was a cool guy. He spoiled me and bought me all the comics and Rat Fink model kits I wanted. He even rode an Indian motorcycle in the '20's and loaned me the money to buy my Norton Commando in high school!

Mom always tried to throw out my comics,but as my Dad and I both collected (well at That age,read them ) together, she rarely was able to....my Dads Mom on the other hand....:( threw away his SA Marvels and DC war.....he was SO very excited when I started collecting back issues and he saw books he used to have,he got right into it with me.I stiuffll have the first book I remember him buying for me off the stands....right before we went to see ET at the drive in.....

Miss you Papa. <3

My gramps rode an Indian Cycle as well..but a used one in the 40s.He also had a bike with a suicide stick shift.Pops and I didn't talk for years once I became a teen...cut that hair,tuck in that shirt sort of thing...happilly we saw eye to eye in my 20s.Are not most gramps the coolest?!

Still have any Big Daddy stuff?

My mom never threw out any of my books. Both mom and dad were supportive and knew comics had value; they took me to my first comic store, Bill Cole's The Comic Kingdom where I got FF #48-50, ASM #44 & 45, plus Origins of Marvel Comics and Son of Origins. (I still have them all except for the #49, which I sold a few years later since it had a cutout.)

The one book she didn't care for was Vampirella #53. I distinctly remember upon seeing the cover she said "That's disgusting!" lol The raging hormones got the better of me, Ma! That was the sole issue I had though, otherwise it was all Marvels with some Gold Keys like Boris Karloff and Turok.

Before I was old enough to take public transit in my early teens my dad used to take me to the monthly show in Boston in the mid-70s (The Sunday Funnies, run by Mr. Don Phelps) and gave me an allowance to spend on books. He even surprised me one day with a handful of single digit Spideys that I also still have.

However, after my parents divorced and we had to move she did dispose of a number of toys and games unbeknownst to me. I still have a large amount, but she pitched some heavy stuff, like the Remco Lost In Space robot, King Ding and other Ding-a-Ling robots, the Green Ghost Game, the Thingmaker et. al. Other stuff, like the Mattel Strange Change Time Machine, Mego figures, my Aurora models and Lionel trains made the trip. Never made sense to me why it didn't all make the cut.

Despite the catastrophic loss, I survived and grew into a reasonably well-adjusted adult. :insane: And if I wanted to spend the dough, I think most of it is replaceable. Except for maybe Stretch Monster.

I really didn't have to worry about my mom or dad,they liked my interest in comics.It was when I got into horror books when she started to think it was garbage,maybe that's why I seek them out now? hm

Getting back.I really had to worry about my brothers and sisters getting hold of them,and sometimes they did in spades. :pullhair: I had three brothers and four sisters,and everyone blamed each other,so there was really no way of finding out who really did what.

Though my mother told me when I was a baby I had ripped up a bunch of my big brothers Amazing Spiderman and AF15 comics.

Good times :cloud9:

I have a related story, When I was a young man I collected comics differently than my friends... While they were buying 5-10 comics off the new rack I would buy back issues so I could read more of the story at 1 time. My book of choice was the X-men

For my 14th Birthday my mom gave me a card. Inside it read "This card is redeemable for all the X-men books your missing. I had to explain to my mom that some of the books I was missing could cost a couple hundred bucks and that to me "Finding the books was the best part of collecting "and still is :)" So as a compromise she took me to the Sunshine Comics and bought me a slew of x-men "the entire dark phoenix run :) "

I kept that card, It meant a lot to me. Unfortunately I lost it to Hurricane Andrew. My parents did haul all my Comics with them when they High Tailed it out of Homestead FL to avoid the storm.

My mom has passed since then but I will always remember that Birthday card. It meant a lot to me that she recognized my love of comics and supported it :)

Similar story of a fond memory, but for me it was a Christmas gift, not birthday.

I started collected comics in 1989. The first title I collected was Wolverine, because I'd read some Classic X-Men (reprinting The Dark Phoenix Saga, actually) and I was blown away by the cover to Wolverine # 17 (by John Byrne). So it was the first issue I bought off the shelf for a title that I decided to go back and complete.

I picked up 11-16 for $1 apiece trading with another 12 year-old at a local convention, was lucky to pick up # 10 for $3.50 before it skyrocketed to $15 with the "1st Sabretooth battle" stuff, and got my # 1 signed and personalized to me by inker Al Williamson.

By the holidays I was just missing issues 6-9. Opened the package and 6, 8 & 9 were there, along with a gift certificate from the LCS good "for one copy of Wolverine # 7" without expiration date.

Love my parents for respecting my burgeoning addiction, and kudos to the shopkeep for hand-writing the gift certificate (which I redeemed ~a month later).

I kept reading Wolverine monthly until # 81, when the price went up to $1.95.

my mom was cool, it was a my dad that was the jerk!

he tossed out my prized comics, drawings and Star Wars figures because they were "full of Satan" and for an encore he didn't allow me to spend my own money that I worked hard for in a grass cutting business on books that I really wanted. He literally drug me away from an AF 15 deal in the late 70's.

What a prize!

:headbang:

The good & the bad...

The good:

I was an avid Daredevil fan back in the day. For my 13th birthday (1975) my older sister plopped a wrapped box down in front of me. Inside was a can of Pork n Beans, a bottle of Tahitian Treat, & a Daredevil #1. (sadly, when I went to college, it was sold with the majority of the rest of my comics)

The bad:

In my mid teens (late '70s), I started to realize that I might actually have some 'money' books. I packed some books into a brown paper bag & rode my 10-speed down to the 'shady' part of town to some old used book store to see what (if anything) I could get for my 'babies'.(I had lots of early Spiderman, DD, & FF) The cigar-smoking guy behind the counter ripped the bag pretty much in half when he removed the comics so I had no way of bringing the books back home. He gave me around 10 bucks. My dad was so pissed at me when I told him...not about the comics, but because I went downtown by myself.

Mike

Has anyone had the pleasure of saying to their mom:

'Hey you know those comics of mine you threw away? They're worth a couple million dollars now. Every day when I get up to go to that job I hate I think if my mom hadn't thrown away my comics-I wouldn't have to work'

When we were fully grown, a friend was finally moving out from his and parents and showed me a huge bag full of 70s Star Wars figures. I took a brief look. The next week, I asked if I could check them out in more detail. He couldn't find them. Turns out that mom that she should sell the huge bag in a garage sale for $5 total. AHAHAHHA. This is in the modern area where it should be well known.

For me, someone gave us a Boulder Hill MASK set. I was getting a bit older but always wanted to open that damn thing up. Never happened and it was sold in a garage sale. Though there were tons of toys I wished I still had from my childhood, that's one that I wished I still had that was in amazing shape.

Patrick

I was fortunate to have parents that were very supportive of my comic collecting from an early age.

My father brought me comics home from school where he was principle. Who knew that you couldn't read comics in school and that all those teacher confiscations would end up with me. Strange Tales 178, Warlock 6 and many more came to me that way.

My father was not so lucky. Or was he. Being born in 1930 and having an aunt that worked at the local store, he was able to amass a fairly nice collection of remaindered comics from 1937 through 1943. He had hundreds of these and a handful of full cover books in his box. He was a collector so he had his stamps, coins, comics and other esoterica. Of course boys grow and move on into high school and girls, then off to the Navy for a stint on the USS boxer in the Korean "War". Upon returning he found out that his step mom threw out all of his comics and magazines. Go figure that she didn't throw out the stamps or coins. :sumo:

He would tell me about the characters when I was young, plastic man, supersnipe, superman, and all the others. He could remember stories and as I started to collect golden age he would recognize certain covers and be able to tell me the gist of the stories before I opened them up. The best was when I picked up a Superman 2 and he recited portions of the book before I let him read it. He was there at the dawn, and his stepmother destroyed my chance to get the coolest thing a kid dreams of. Hand me down comics. I know he had many of the big books of the day....but that's just another young boys story of paper drives, trash cans and comic culture lost.

I was fortunate to have a cousin 15 years my senior that sent me his comics when i was 12, but 12 cent walt disney comics and stories, while cool, never quite filled the gap.

Love ya dad and miss you. :cloud9:

Ask yourself everyone what are you throwing away of your kids when they leave for college? Then think twice.