• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insurance for comic books?

46 posts in this topic

not to on the parade, but i had a situation a few years back where my storage unit somehow flooded -which to this day I have no clue how this happened considering it was in the middle on the 6th floor of a 12 story building. essentially a pipe broke and there was a faulty line built into the ceiling where excess water would run and drip off. A complete nightmare as I get home after work and get the worst phone call you can possibly get saying your unit is under water you need to get over here. I arrived and there is 5 to 6 inches at minimum covering the entire floor. I was going bat-mess crazy.

Too make a long story short I have a 300k policy with collectinsure and had a time with them getting a payout. Getting the adjustor to arrive was one thing and the payout was another. This whole process was a headache and took over a year and I had to lawyer up which cost me five figures in legal fees and I had to threaten litigation. Looking back I should have used my current homeowners insurance policy and boosted my coverage. Perhaps because the adjuster would have been local things would have been much easier.

I really don't want to say much more because it was one of the most difficult times in my life, I slipped into a depression and I cringe having to even talk about it till this day. Think of your worst dreams coming true.

Sounds unsettling. Any other collectinsure people have any real experience in making a claim?

The fact that YOU tell them what your collection is worth is a red flag, maybe that comes later. Just leaves things wide open to dispute your claim imo. I would suggest using local insurer with a 3rd party appraisal, it won't be cheap but at least you can harass them in person.

Ins. companies are rainbows and unicorns until it comes to paying up.

I use American Collector's Insurance. So far the process has been sound and they have been flexible to update as my collection has grown.

Not sure there is such a thing as a "simple/easy process" when it comes to getting an insurance company to payout. Realistically they will all do everything in their power to pay you as little as possible.

Insurance is a necessary evil, but it is still a scam for the most part. :shrug:

I use American Collector's Insurance. So far the process has been sound and they have been flexible to update as my collection has grown.

Not sure there is such a thing as a "simple/easy process" when it comes to getting an insurance company to payout. Realistically they will all do everything in their power to pay you as little as possible.

Insurance is a necessary evil, but it is still a scam for the most part. :shrug:

I am planning to get american insurance too but currently my farmers covers my books.

Buying insurance is easy but when you have a claim is a different story.

Then above 10k would be a good starting point? Thanks.

Is collectinsure really the only way to go? What about putting a rider on my home insurance?

Right now, that's how I have coverage, with a "Fine Arts" rider on my homeowners. I haven't updated it in years, so it is not nearly enough coverage - my AF15 is probably worth most of my coverage alone - but I do have it.

Do you mind if I ask what your rate was when you had the $15k coverage? I'm just wondering what my ballpark would be?

Found my old policy , 15K cost me $77 a year.

Just for comparison, I've got $8000 in coverage ($250 deductible) on my Nationwide Homeowner's policy, at a cost of $11/year.

Yep, Collectinsure.com. That is all you need to know, but please READ YOUR POLICY carefully. There are exclusions that are NEVER talked about on these forums...like:

You can only store up to $100,000 in an offsite storage facility! After that if something happens you are SOL!

Be careful how many claims you have...

Yep, Collectinsure.com. That is all you need to know, but please READ YOUR POLICY carefully. There are exclusions that are NEVER talked about on these forums...like:

You can only store up to $100,000 in an offsite storage facility! After that if something happens you are SOL!

Be careful how many claims you have...

I dropped collect insure,nothing wrong with them(to me).I just couldn't see paying for premiums that,to be honest were unnecessary. I figure if I take the time to make sure my comics are off the ground,away from areas where flooding can occur(against walls with water pipes) to the best of my ability,then I should be okay.Fire? Sometimes stuff happens,but I'll take that risk,because I do my best to alleviate any hazards of that as well.I have close to 300-400K in my comic collection,and I feel good about my chances they will make it a.okay. (thumbs u

Prevention is key

Acts of God? Can't win em all,but I think with the precautions I have put into place,I have evened the odds a little.

What about theft Oak?

I feel better paying the premium knowing my collection is financially protected.

I use ColllectInsure and thankfully have had no reason for a claim and I hope it stays that way.

I use standard protection like a house alarm, stored above the floor, in a cool dry place, etc but having the insurance certainly makes me feel better