• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

killer JIM #83 on pedigree....

106 posts in this topic

JIM #83

looking forward to the TOD #10 cgc 9.9! 893whatthe.gif

Nice copy the Thor, but this is not that impressive a 9.4. The bottom right corner looks blunted and color-breaking wear of some kind or perhaps chips on the right edge are visible. The color, especially along the top edge, seems faded. I'm not used to seeing that much wrong in a small scan of a 9.4.

The demand and offers of ridiculous money simply win out in the end. I've owned 2 ASM books that were highest on census. I was able to resist offers for a while but eventually had to sell both.

That's why I'd rather have a "run of the mill" 2nd or 3rd HCGC as opposed to the HCGC.

Brian

Wow! I understand what you're saying, but it's just crazy to me all the obssesion for "ultra-high grade"!

I would understand Golden Age "ultra-high" grade, especially pre 1943-45 books (given their scarcity due to the paper drives) & even a Showcase # 4, which is much less common that a FF # 1 , AF # 15 or an Amazing Spider-Man # 1.

And I do appreciate that JIM # 83 is a bear in high grade.

This obssesion is the same thing that drives lesser books like "higest graded" Spawn # 1 sales, or what ever other "flavor-of-the-month" books.

I don't think I've ever seen JIM 83 and Spawn 1 mentioned in the same post before. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey Murph, one last question:

The AS's you had; they were the top census at the time. Are they still the top census &, if not, do you think you would still get the same offers coming in at you?

They both still are, but the at time one was the ONLY one at that grade. Since then 2 more have appeared, so the price definately dropped on that one.

The other was tied with 6 other books for top census, and still is tied (there are still 6 others tied with it).

Brian

They both still are, but the at time one was the ONLY one at that grade. Since then 2 more have appeared, so the price definately dropped on that one.

The other was tied with 6 other books for top census, and still is tied (there are still 6 others tied with it).

Brian

so the price definately dropped on that one.

That is the example I was looking for when buying "ultra high-grade" Silver Age books: They are at the top until another joins in, or a better copy comes along. The chances of that happening with Silver Age are much higher than with Golden Age. My hypothetical $65,000.00 goes to Golden Age over Silver Age.

hi.gifflowerred.gif

true... but for keys its a bit different since the demand is higher and based on more than just its census appeal... I dont go anywhere near those BEST copy in census deals....unless Im willing to gamble that it will hold up over the long-term.

Re: Thor movie talk of earlier in this thread, one problem I have with Thor ( and no offense as I do love his comics ) it is just that he looks kinda..well you know..umm..let's say "girly manish"

Artboy99

Re: Thor movie talk of earlier in this thread, one problem I have with Thor ( and no offense as I do love his comics ) it is just that he looks kinda..well you know..umm..let's say "girly manish"

Artboy99

Yeah, but like SS said, the stories themselves could be of epic proportion, and we now have the effects to make it look real. IF directed by a killer director, i could see it as being one of the better movies made popcorn.gif...never really liked Thor as a kid, but he's really grown on me (not in a "girly manish" way!! sumo.gif) and i can see why it would have been one of Kirby's faves.

Showcase # 4 CGC NM- 9.2 (top census)
There's a 9.4 out there! makepoint.gif

Really? I wonder what that will sell for? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Still, for $ 65,000.00 I'd rather buy a Cap # 1 VF or that Marvel Comics # 1 for that kind of bling-bling, you know what I'm saying? And I'll take that hammer back from you now, thank you very much! makepoint.gif

Or, I'd spend the $ 65,000.00 on one of your sweet, sweet 100 pagers! poke2.gifdevil.gif

Actually didn't Jon say there is also a raw Church copy of Showcase that could be 9.6. I think Metro owns the 9.4 copy?

I'd probably buy the Nic Cage Marvel Comics #1 that is an October print if I had that kind of coin. You just don't see too many October issues.

Yes, Metro does own the 9.4 copy. No price known. Another dealer I know believes he has a 9.6 copy that has yet to be slabbed. We should find out this May. I don't believe it is a Church copy. Is there a Church copy?

Nope. Also, apparently Gary Carter's Cosmic Aeroplane copy that was pictured on the first Overstreet Grading Guide is now in the hands of some unknown Japanese investors/collectors.

Any idea if this Cosmic Aeroplane copy got graded before it was sold to the foreign investors? Just wondering what the CGC grade on the book would be since it was shown as a Mint 99 on the cover of the grading guide. 893whatthe.gif

If that grade holds up or even comes in at a 9.8, I could see this copy going for some really serious six figure dollars!!!

Any idea if this Cosmic Aeroplane copy got graded before it was sold to the foreign investors? Just wondering what the CGC grade on the book would be since it was shown as a Mint 99 on the cover of the grading guide. 893whatthe.gif

If that grade holds up or even comes in at a 9.8, I could see this copy going for some really serious six figure dollars!!!

As a point of reference, the Amazing Spiderman #1 NM/NM+ 95 from that guide was graded a CGC VF/NM 9.0. I understood that Showcase #4 Mint 99 was Overstreet's own copy and was purchased from a U.K. seller. Is this incorrect, or was it sold to Gary Carter subsequently ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

p.s. I wonder if the Batman #1 NM 94 from that grading guide would be a CGC 9.4. It looks pretty spectacular. hail.gif

If that grade holds up or even comes in at a 9.8

I just looked back at that guide and couldn't find any details about that copy in the interior; looks like they didn't use it as a grading example. Based upon the other example copies listed in that guide in the 95 to 100 range, I seriously doubt it'd be above a 9.6 by CGC standards, but it's possible...

JIM #83

Drool... insane.gif

Check the Pedigree Comics website. The TOD #10 CGC 9.9 copy is already listed there with a BIN price of only $10,000. Better hurry and snap it up since the bid is already sitting at $4,000. screwy.gif

Especially since the 9.8 copy is listed as being sold at the low low sum of only $3,000. Guess there's not really much difference between the two books condition wise since they are both listed as the highest certified copy. 27_laughing.gif

JIM #83

Drool... insane.gif

Check the Pedigree Comics website. The TOD #10 CGC 9.9 copy is already listed there with a BIN price of only $10,000. Better hurry and snap it up since the bid is already sitting at $4,000. screwy.gif

Especially since the 9.8 copy is listed as being sold at the low low sum of only $3,000. Guess there's not really much difference between the two books condition wise since they are both listed as the highest certified copy. 27_laughing.gif

screwy.gifthumbsup2.gif