• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Adding VG and VF/NM Prices, WOW!!

20 posts in this topic

This has been needed ever since Overstreet radically altered the spread from Gd-NM a few years ago. Like it or hate it, we are now in a time where a couple of tenths in grade can equate to a considerable difference in "value". Can we, for example, take VF and NM and average them to get a VF/NM price? You'd probably be pretty close doing this with VG (that is, averaging G and Fn) because the spread between G and Fn are less spread. But the vf/nm price is probably going to be harder to figure and also considerably more issue-dependent.

But is Overstreet really going to research each and every issue for specific VF/NM prices? I can't see how, when in the past it's been a mathematical split, no matter the issue or its individual demand in a given grade.

Like ASM 28, which is a killer to find in NM, but doesn't carry that higher price down to the lower grades. Overstreet is wrong to price that issue higher than other ASM's of similar vintage in Fine condition, while other stores have understood this inherent problem and adjusted down.

Check out Milehigh's listing:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=77906321824&publisher=MV&snumber=51

>>But is Overstreet really going to research each and every issue for specific VF/NM prices? I can't see how, when in the past it's been a mathematical split, no matter the issue or its individual demand in a given grade.<<

Probably no more than they are doing now: combine "commons" and break out keys and special interest books. They don't research every issue to get their current prices, so I wouldn't expect them to for this. What I would expect, at least initially, is

1) a basic percentage applied to pretty much all of the VG (regardless of keyness)

2) a basic percentage applied to all common VF/NM books

3) a second percentage amoung the key VF/NM vs NM with the NM getting a higher percentage

4) Major keys (FF 1, AF 15, Action 1etc.) given individual treatment and an even wider gap between the VF/NM and NM

I can also see Overstreet publishing a separate CGC guide within a year or two, at least for the higher grade books. It would not be unlike the Supplement they used to publish years ago.

"Is a VF/NM column really needed? Maybe the VG will be a good idea, but I think people can figure out the VF/NM value when the values are already there for VF and for NM."

......this is exactly where the biggest problems lie in the current price system.............

.......the NM price in overstreet is just not acurate for some books, and there is a huge discrepency between VF/ NM and NM on most silver and bronze keys..............

.....the price they list currently as NM is probably a more realistic one for VF/ NM, then that gives them some room to adjust up the NM value on books that comand high premiums in the highest grade...............

......long overdue............. grin.gif

>>the price they list currently as NM is probably a more realistic one for VF/ NM, then that gives them some room to adjust up the NM value on books that comand high premiums in the highest grade<<

That makes a lot of sense. I know for my own collecting taste, I would love to get many of the pre-code horror books in NM for the NM value! lol

This is one of those rare bits of news that really excites me. It will hopefully address the fact that the current NM listing has pretty much been a de facto VF/NM listing for books prior to 1975, and some after.

If they'd expand the market reports, and publish a quarterly update, I can die happy. wink.gif

"...but I wish they would of added something of a higher then 9.4 The 9.6 to 10.0 are so way out there as far as prices."

.....i don't think overstreet would or should get involved in the super-high grade pricing................

......there is just no reliable sales data for the huge fluctuations in prices that books in 9.6 - 10.0 bring................ confused.gif

The next issue won't come out until April or May. As for quarterly or monthly updates, I hope not. When Overstreet did this back in the early-mid 90's, the monthly price increases were almost formulaic and prices spiked incredibly over a period of 2-3 years. Unfortunately, I think it was more a case of Overstreet's price guide driving the market rather than the other way around.

Since CGC books hit the streets, the market has exploded, yet no monthly/quarterly updates? This will only make sense when a CGC-based price guide comes out, and that is really the only good point to introduce 9.6-10.0 prices. Up to this point, I don't think there has been solid data on NM+ and better books since both the grading standards and prices very so much. Also, some dealers don't use grades higher than NM, so all the NM+ or better books they sold would be included as NM copies.

Is a VF/NM column really needed? Maybe the VG will be a good idea, but I think people can figure out the VF/NM value when the values are already there for VF and for NM.

Prior to the ever-increasing price spreads, you could take the average of VF and NM to arrive at a VF/NM price. However, a close look at the CBG price spreads reveals a spread of 1:2.1:4.8 for VF:VF/NM:NM, and the spread is going to continue to grow...

As for quarterly or monthly updates, I hope not. When Overstreet did this back in the early-mid 90's, the monthly price increases were almost formulaic and prices spiked incredibly over a period of 2-3 years.

Monthly is definitely too frequent... the market doesn't shift that quickly. But I think a quarterly update would help, maybe more for the raw dealer data reported and market reports rather than the actual guide prices. Obviously, if the NM price of ASM 173 (for example) is advanced formulaicly each update, then the update quickly stops being a true reflection of the market.