• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 14 - To Conserve or Leave it Alone?

59 posts in this topic

If it's a keeper I can see leaving it alone for now, one can always decide later to repair it. If you're impatient to sell it, I could see going the no resto route, as you may decide that extra profit potential isn't worth the extra expense and effort.

I don't know what the actual costs for sealing/repairing the spine professionally and reattaching would be, but someone threw out the amount $500. It's always a bit of a guess, but at that amount I think you minimally get the added investment back, and probably come out a little farther ahead than just selling it as is, if you decide that you want to sell.

Ask Mike for a quote: http://www.herorestoration.net

Changed my mind again. I'm taking Ze-Man's advice and just getting the spine conserved.

You mean restored. :baiting:

-J.

Minimally restored. Spine repair with the necessary leaf casting. No color touch.

Please submit to CGC after you are done reading and handling the book. I am sure it will feel nice when Kenny is finished with it.

I am anxious to see how CGC grades a leaf casted book that was not color touched. I think the book would have hit 7.0 with a full resto. I wonder how much CGC takes off for no color in the areas conserved?

Changed my mind again. I'm taking Ze-Man's advice and just getting the spine conserved.

-J.

Minimally restored. Spine repair with the necessary leaf casting. No color touch.

Please submit to CGC after you are done reading and handling the book. I am sure it will feel nice when Kenny is finished with it.

I am anxious to see how CGC grades a leaf casted book that was not color touched. I think the book would have hit 7.0 with a full resto. I wonder how much CGC takes off for no color in the areas conserved?

The interior is the nicest Golden Age book I have ever held. It felt like it was brand new. You can see in the pictures how nice it is.

Hoping for the best for your book. My interest in seeing the results is from considering having some work done to my Planet Comics 15 which has the cover completely split. The CGC slab it came from also designated the cover as married. I am considering getting the book restored.

Also sign me up in the club that considers anything being done to a book to enhance it's appearance as being restoration. This includes kneadable erasing of dirt from a cover, and even pressing!

I have decided I am definitely going to have the spine repaired. I'm undecided about completing the restoration.

It depends on your money situation.

How much did you spend on that book?

How much can you afford to have the spine repaired?

How much will you sell for?

It can help your decision. For me, I will leave it alone. I am not crazy about the restorations.

-J.

Luckily the spine of superman 14 is white so the absence of color touch on the leafcasted spine shouldn't affect how it looks. I'm super excited to see the end result.

The Grade is in after Kenny leafcasted the spine and cleaned the cover.

The customer service rep that I spoke with used the language, "Conservation includes..." so I think it ended up with the blue label with the purple strip. I will post when I know for sure!

The customer service rep that I spoke with used the language, "Conservation includes..." so I think it ended up with the blue label with the purple strip. I will post when I know for sure!

Smart move and sweet book

Smart move and sweet book

I'm definitely more happy with a complete book than the 3 pieces it was in prior.