• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst excuses deadbeat buyers give for not paying for purchases on eBay?

99 posts in this topic

I just got one today from a guy who accepted my counter offer on a $2,300 guitar.

He now claims he doesn't have the limit on his credit card and can't pay.

What do I do? Neg him or just move on/?

Just to see if that is truly the case...

Offer a series of payments. Tell you can allow him to do two payments of $1150 and pay off the credit card with whatever cash necessary to get it under the limit between the two payments.

Or something like that.

You could also tell him to transfer the difference between his credit card limit & his $2300 total to his PayPal balance from his bank account & then split the source of funds in his payment.

Can you neg a buyer?
Don't think so, but can you leave positive but add a negative comment?

One of the major flaws of eBay IMO is the non-ability to leave buyers negative feedback.

Same policy applies here as well..only positive kudos? that's lame

I'd leave some negative kudos for that KPR Comics in a heartbeat :foryou:

I had a surprising one two weeks ago. I sold a novel (late 1800s Dickens reprint, pretty, but low grade) on best offer. The buyer made a lowball offer, I countered, he countered, I accepted. No payment for a week.

I sent a follow up invoice and received the following:

"Sorry I have been sick. This prevents me from making payment. I have had several conversations with eBay and they say this is a legitimate reason and you should cancel the transaction."

To which I responded:

"To be clear, your best offer is unable to be paid because you are sick enough to not click Pay, but not quite sick enough to explain it to me through your computer?"

To which he responded:

"Yes"

To which I responded:

"I think I will just stick with the Non Paying Bidder claim. Hope you feel better."

5 MINUTES LATER the buyer paid.

Fast forward a week. Item not as described claim. Interestingly, the claim was opened through PayPal, not through eBay.

I responded succinctly, pointing them towards the original conversations. 2 days later PayPal settled in my favor.

I have had a handful of ridiculous buyer protection claims over the years that have been settled against me, including packages shipped insured and with tracking showing delivery.

I guess it is nice to know that once in a while, they actually make rational decisions.

I used to have my items set up so you didnt have to pay right away . I changed that pretty quickly. It wasnt about people not paying. I just expected if you wanted it, you would pay for it right away. I got tired of waiting 3 to 4 days for someone to pay . I always get my items ready to ship ASAP. So i changed items to require immediate payment .

I also had several different options as far as shipping. Including free pickup. I changed that after I had a guy want to buy a book for 3.99 from me. He choose free pickup . Problem was he was in Colorado . He didnt want to pay the $2.50 to ship it. So i would have made about 90 or so cents on that after all the Ebay fees, Paypal fees Shipping , Shipping materials. I never shipped it, he never paid .

Too many people truly dont know how Ebay works .

So now shipping is "Free " ( I roll shipping into the price) and you pay right away .

Makes things much easier .

We are in the process of switching our listings over to require immediate payment. I don't want people to be able to tie up items (especially consignments) for a long period of time without paying for them, and I don't want people giving us negative feedback because we released the reserve after two weeks of non-payment and then they try to buy the item after it's been relisted and sold to somebody else.

The biggest issue I've seen so far with the immediate payment option is that eBay's interface is kind of a mess if you want to require immediate payment but still allow people to place a combined order for multiple items. What buyers are supposed to do is use the "Add to cart" button to pick out the stuff they want, then go through checkout to pay for everything together. But we're getting some people who continue to click the "Buy It Now" to buy one item at a time, and then want to combine them after the fact. Ebay doesn't make it easy.

I ran into this problem of wanting multiple BINs from a seller last night. They were all cheap books where the multiple shipping costs would have cost me a fair bit more than the books. It was only by sheer chance I figured out the cart option so I could request to combine. Now I'm waiting for the seller to get back to me on it.

I purchased a pair of Jeep doors on Ebay years ago and I got a pretty good deal on them. I think the pair was $125 and they were in pretty good condition and the correct version/age I was looking for so I was pleased.

The seller sent me a message saying that a load of wood had fallen on the doors, broken the glass, and crushed the metal. Needless to say I was a bit put out but I just accepted the refund and moved on. Years later the Jeep still doesn't have doors :D

The only time I ever cancelled a transaction was for a laptop I had purchased, but it was because of the seller. The seller turned it on one last time before shipping and found out it wouldn't boot. So naturally he took it to Best Buy to let them replace the hard drive, oh and by the way the video card isn't what was listed in the ad, so it'll be delayed and not what you paid for but I hope you still want it! I told the seller no thanks and found another one lol

The only time I ever cancelled a transaction was for a laptop I had purchased, but it was because of the seller. The seller turned it on one last time before shipping and found out it wouldn't boot. So naturally he took it to Best Buy to let them replace the hard drive, oh and by the way the video card isn't what was listed in the ad, so it'll be delayed and not what you paid for but I hope you still want it! I told the seller no thanks and found another one lol

the lesson here: never buy used electronics on eBay. Screams buyer beware!

To be fair I was pretty sure the video card wasn't what was listed in the ad but I figured at worst I'd simply return the laptop. I had sent a message asking for verification but never heard back until I had won the auction and this problem cropped up. I've actually had exceptional luck buying gently used laptops on Ebay - my current gaming laptop was a bargain and I could still sell it for more than I paid.

To be fair I was pretty sure the video card wasn't what was listed in the ad but I figured at worst I'd simply return the laptop. I had sent a message asking for verification but never heard back until I had won the auction and this problem cropped up. I've actually had exceptional luck buying gently used laptops on Ebay - my current gaming laptop was a bargain and I could still sell it for more than I paid.

I'd consider yourself lucky....and that's great. Just not a risk I'm willing to take. If everything checks out, you're golden. If not, you eat shipping.

Worse case, you're possibly dealing with a buyer who says it was working when it left and now it doesn't.

Just not a risk I'm willing to take.

I think my track record for relisting and selling for higher is better than 50%. I got no problem with no pay, I mean its better than shipping it and them opening up a case and getting a full refund. Leaves me out shipping and likely less than stellar feedback. Let the goons off the hook easy. Don't force people into a deal. Its not worth it. Again there is a greater chance of selling it for more next time around.

Yeah, these people are more trouble then they're worth. Cancel the transaction and move on. I get it why people get all in a froth over the excuse givers and remorse buyers but if you think about it, just canceling the transaction and moving on will likely lead to far fewer headaches and just may save your feedback rating.

I think my track record for relisting and selling for higher is better than 50%. I got no problem with no pay, I mean its better than shipping it and them opening up a case and getting a full refund. Leaves me out shipping and likely less than stellar feedback. Let the goons off the hook easy. Don't force people into a deal. Its not worth it. Again there is a greater chance of selling it for more next time around.

Yeah, these people are more trouble then they're worth. Cancel the transaction and move on. I get it why people get all in a froth over the excuse givers and remorse buyers but if you think about it, just canceling the transaction and moving on will likely lead to far fewer headaches and just may save your feedback rating.

That's very true. Sometimes taking a step back from it is the way to go. Might not feel great at first, but once the heat of the moment wears off it is easier to just move on.

You could also tell him to transfer the difference between his credit card limit & his $2300 total to his PayPal balance from his bank account & then split the source of funds in his payment.

I just got one today from a guy who accepted my counter offer on a $2,300 guitar.

He now claims he doesn't have the limit on his credit card and can't pay.

What do I do? Neg him or just move on/?

Just to see if that is truly the case...

Offer a series of payments. Tell you can allow him to do two payments of $1150 and pay off the credit card with whatever cash necessary to get it under the limit between the two payments.

Or something like that.

Good ideas thanks