• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst excuses deadbeat buyers give for not paying for purchases on eBay?

99 posts in this topic

OK after 14 years selling on eBay, I finally got the infamous "my kid bid on your comic" excuse for not paying and wanting to back out of a transaction. I've had my fair share of non-paying bidders who never respond at all, but a much smaller number of deadbeats who actually give excuses...usually citing personal illness or a death in the family. I think one guy told me the weather had knocked out internet service so he couldn't log on for a week. meh

Anyway, I suppose the "my kid did it" excuse is remotely plausible if it was a BIN...still very unlikely, but possible. However mine was a best offer...and a fair one at that...that his "12 year old son" somehow concocted. Not a high dollar book so no biggie...although this one was especially annoying because I had multiple offers in on the book and took this one which was the highest. After I accepted this offer, one of the underbidders sent me a nasty note claiming that I should have negotiated with him before selling it to somebody else. I was gracious and apologized to him and simply said the highest offer won, but now I have to relist and have probably lost at least one interested party. :frustrated:

So...how many of you who sell on eBay have gotten the kid excuse? And what are some other absurd reasons deadbeats have given you?

Unfortunately, this goes with the ebay territory, but I would actually rather read someones amusing excuse, than be totally ignored. I once listed a guitar on ebay, and two times in a row, someone chose the BIN option (pretty much as soon as I listed the item), and I never heard from them. It was almost as if they were trying to me off.

That under-bidder who gave you about not negotiating with him first sounds like a complete tool. I wouldn't want to sell my books to someone like that anyway.

We had a set of books go astronomical. They were about $30 retail. At the end of the first day, the bidding was over $600. The auction stalled, only to pick up in the end to stop at $880.

The winner claimed he had no idea how it happened. His child must have gotten up in the night and bid on it.The thing was, it was consistently bid on throughout the week. It made no sense at all.

We had a set of books go astronomical. They were about $30 retail. At the end of the first day, the bidding was over $600. The auction stalled, only to pick up in the end to stop at $880.

The winner claimed he had no idea how it happened. His child must have gotten up in the night and bid on it.The thing was, it was consistently bid on throughout the week. It made no sense at all.

Thrill ride on you at your expense!

I sell OA on ebay and sold a piece for $125 BIN. When I woke in the morning there was a message from the buyer stating he was drunk last night and really shouldn't have bought it, his money is tight but he liked the art, he was just drunk. If I recall he asked me to cancel it but did not say he would not pay. I thanked him for the honesty and cancelled it no problem.

After I accepted this offer, one of the underbidders sent me a nasty note claiming that I should have negotiated with him before selling it to somebody else. I was gracious and apologized to him and simply said the highest offer won, but now I have to relist and have probably lost at least one interested party. :frustrated:

THIS is the guy that you need to block. The guy that backed out will probably never bid with you again. The guy who has this sense of entitlement about you will be trouble. He emails this to you not knowing that the highest sale did not go through. He thinks it sold yet still sends you a nasty email. Who does he think he is? If he wanted it, he should have submitted a higher offer.

THAT is the guy who is more trouble than he is worth.

Aside from the child buying it excuse Ive had a couple people say that they were just looking at the auction and accidentally bought it. Strange when you have to push the BIN button and then confirm it for it to go through.

I think my track record for relisting and selling for higher is better than 50%. I got no problem with no pay, I mean its better than shipping it and them opening up a case and getting a full refund. Leaves me out shipping and likely less than stellar feedback. Let the goons off the hook easy. Don't force people into a deal. Its not worth it. Again there is a greater chance of selling it for more next time around.

After I accepted this offer, one of the underbidders sent me a nasty note claiming that I should have negotiated with him before selling it to somebody else. I was gracious and apologized to him and simply said the highest offer won, but now I have to relist and have probably lost at least one interested party. :frustrated:

THIS is the guy that you need to block. The guy that backed out will probably never bid with you again. The guy who has this sense of entitlement about you will be trouble. He emails this to you not knowing that the highest sale did not go through. He thinks it sold yet still sends you a nasty email. Who does he think he is? If he wanted it, he should have submitted a higher offer.

THAT is the guy who is more trouble than he is worth.

+1000

Please post the users eBay i.d.

In April 2013, I had a listing for an AMAZING SPIDER-MAN lot from #50 to #700 plus all Annuals at $4,299.99.

A buyer from the Northwest Territories purchased it using BIN but never paid and never bothered to even respond to my questions or invoice.

My investigation revealed she is probably a member of the legislative assembly of the NWT, gotta trust those politicians!

Anyway, I was nailed with $255.05 worth of final value fees which I paid.

eBay ended up crediting the full amount only after my deadbeat bidder claim went through on the next invoice cycle.

These deadbeats don't realize we still get billed FV Fees even if they don't pay.

Nothing bugs me more than "no response".

I'd rather hear a good excuse like "I was drunk"

I used to have my items set up so you didnt have to pay right away . I changed that pretty quickly. It wasnt about people not paying. I just expected if you wanted it, you would pay for it right away. I got tired of waiting 3 to 4 days for someone to pay . I always get my items ready to ship ASAP. So i changed items to require immediate payment .

I also had several different options as far as shipping. Including free pickup. I changed that after I had a guy want to buy a book for 3.99 from me. He choose free pickup . Problem was he was in Colorado . He didnt want to pay the $2.50 to ship it. So i would have made about 90 or so cents on that after all the Ebay fees, Paypal fees Shipping , Shipping materials. I never shipped it, he never paid .

Too many people truly dont know how Ebay works .

So now shipping is "Free " ( I roll shipping into the price) and you pay right away .

Makes things much easier .

I will say I honestly hit buy it now once and realized the item was not what i thought (A little different then the "my kid purchased it) . The item was $10 and $4 shipping, And I paid for it right away and then realized I made a mistake. I asked the person if i could cancel since I made a mistake buying it BUT told them they can keep the $4 shipping to cover make up for them my mistake but was fully prepared to pay the full $14 if they said no.. They said yes and took the $4 . And the reason I purchased the wrong thing was I was trying to make purchases while working.

Hey what about the sellers who say after you make a purchase that the item is already sold OR it burnt in a fire. Usually after buying an item and getting it for a great price. And yes I actually had 2 different sellers tell me that they had a fire and the book burnt up. Could be true i guess.

You never know if that is true...

I have had a couple of accidents over the years, the most recent being this morning. I think I did right by the buyer. The total on the order originally came to $10. Each item was $5. If (and I mean if) they wanted to continue to place the order they are paying the cost of the other item and shipping with the other $5 item now being sent for free.

The damaged item still works, just the DVD case is cracked and there is a scratch on the DVD.