• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst excuses deadbeat buyers give for not paying for purchases on eBay?

99 posts in this topic

Last month, I had a guy beg me to pull down an item on auction. Since I wanted to recoup some of my expenses for the holiday and he was offering a good price, I said "okay".

He told me that he'd need a week to pay, but since it was around xmas, I told him I'd give him two. Long story short, the two weeks come and go, and no word from the buyer. I reach out to him to see what's going on and that's when the fun starts. Below are the list of excuses I got each time he contacted me. For all of you aspiring songwriters, there is a veritable country anthem brewing here:

• First Day: His best friend is having a hard time with his ex-wife, so he has been staying with him. Wallet not immediately available.

• Second Day: Said friend's father is now dying of cancer. No word on the ex-wife.

• Third Day: The ex-wife and the dad's cancer drove both of them to drink copiously, and he is too hungover to go back home and get his bank card

• Fourth Day through Eighth Day: No response.

• Ninth Day: Just got out of jail.

• Tenth Day: "Bro, are you still willing to sell to me?"

No.

Anyhow, in hindsight I think that I would have just told this guy to bid. He probably would have gotten outbid anyway, and even if he welched, I could still just block him and repost. Either way, I would have gotten paid within the two-week period.

This thread is very timely. I just got a message saying that they cant sell me the comic i ordered because his grandson just got into his attic and ripped all of his copies up. hm very timely considering the book might get hot now after the FF trailer was released....

What book?

Last month, I had a guy beg me to pull down an item on auction. Since I wanted to recoup some of my expenses for the holiday and he was offering a good price, I said "okay".

He told me that he'd need a week to pay, but since it was around xmas, I told him I'd give him two. Long story short, the two weeks come and go, and no word from the buyer. I reach out to him to see what's going on and that's when the fun starts. Below are the list of excuses I got each time he contacted me. For all of you aspiring songwriters, there is a veritable country anthem brewing here:

• First Day: His best friend is having a hard time with his ex-wife, so he has been staying with him. Wallet not immediately available.

• Second Day: Said friend's father is now dying of cancer. No word on the ex-wife.

• Third Day: The ex-wife and the dad's cancer drove both of them to drink copiously, and he is too hungover to go back home and get his bank card

No.

Anyhow, in hindsight I think that I would have just told this guy to bid. He probably would have gotten outbid anyway, and even if he welched, I could still just block him and repost. Either way, I would have gotten paid within the two-week period.

OK I think we have a winner! lol

No.

Truly Awesome! But what a pain.

I had a seller tell me once that I won the item for way too low, and he wouldn't sell it at that price. He was the one who set the starting bid, but whatever.

I had a buyer tell me once that he had been arrested over the weekend and wouldn't be able to buy the items because he had to bail himself out.

I had a guy who bought an item from me. I sent him an invoice, and he didn't pay. Sent him a message and he didn't respond. Another message and he gets back to me..."sorry, I was on acid all week. I didn't mean to buy anything."

I had a seller tell me once that I won the item for way too low, and he wouldn't sell it at that price. He was the one who set the starting bid, but whatever.

I hope you negged him.

-slym

Oh yes I did.

I had a guy who bought an item from me. I sent him an invoice, and he didn't pay. Sent him a message and he didn't respond. Another message and he gets back to me..."sorry, I was on acid all week. I didn't mean to buy anything."

Wow

so then I get this wonderful message about an old CD player I've been trying to sell....

"That listing is showing over $27 dollars shipping to me in SC. Will you take $20 total including shipping? I have the Sanyo rack stereo system from around 1986 that I purchased without the CD player, which would most likely of been this model. At the time the CD player cost as much as the rest of the system (which I still use) so I deleted it. Now I would like to add it to the original rack stereo system if I can get it to work. Thank you for the auction."

so to summarize-- he wants me to pay $27 to ship this item to him but only will give me $20 to do so.

math is hard--- what a dolt.