• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree collectors

100 posts in this topic

Billy casts his net pretty wide and with the peds no longer recognized, I think the chances are vanishingly small of anyone achieving this feat again.

For the CGC recognized peds, it isn't impossible but you'd have to get a Haight-Asbury copy and last I heard, they were all in a single private collection. For me, I am missing six though the Silver and Bronze ones are available. I owned two of the others but no longer have the books.

from the site:

CGC recognizes the following pedigree collections on the CGC label:

•Allentown

•Aurora

•Bethlehem

•Big Apple

•Boston

•Bowling Green

•Carson City

•Central Valley

•Chicago

•Cosmic Aeroplane

•Crowley

•Curator

•Davis Crippen “D” Copy

•Denver

•Don Rosa Collection

•Don/Maggie Thompson Collection

•Edgar Church (Mile High)

•Gaines File Copy

•Green River

•Hawkeye

•Kansas City

•Larson

•Lost Valley

•Mass. Copy

•Mohawk Valley

•Haight-Ashbury

•Northford

•Northland

•Nova Scotia

•Oakland

•Ohio

•Okajima

•Pacific Coast

•Palo Alto

•Pennsylvania

•Recil Macon

•River City

•Rockford

•Rocky Mountain

•Salida

•San Francisco

•Savannah

•Spokane

•Suscha News

•Twilight

•Twin Cities

•Vancouver

•Western Penn

•White Mountain

•Windy City

•Winnipeg

I had no idea you were that comprehensive on the Pedigrees Jeff. :applause:

jeff, are you "doubling up" on the ones that straddle gold and silver?

I thought—briefly—about attempting something like that, but it would be impossible to do (with my budget) without making it my only priority.

-There aren't many Denver or Kansas City books I could afford.

-I'm more focused on page quality than on grade, and the Allentown, Denver, Northford, & Rockford books have lousy page quality for the most part.

-There aren't that many Carson City or Vancouver books that would fit my collection well.

...etc.

I decided it would be a Herculean task, and I hadn't even considered including books based on provenance. I wasn't worried about whether the pedigree was noted on the label, either. I do have a Diamond Run book with a label notation, but that won't last forever: eventually I'll have to get the book re-slabbed in order to get fresh microchamber paper—if I don't sell the book first, that is.

Billy casts his net pretty wide and with the peds no longer recognized, I think the chances are vanishingly small of anyone achieving this feat again.

For the CGC recognized peds, it isn't impossible but you'd have to get a Haight-Asbury copy and last I heard, they were all in a single private collection. For me, I am missing six though the Silver and Bronze ones are available. I owned two of the others but no longer have the books.

from the site:

•Allentown

•Aurora

•Bethlehem

•Big Apple

•Boston

•Bowling Green

•Carson City

•Central Valley

•Chicago

•Cosmic Aeroplane

•Crowley

•Curator

•Davis Crippen “D” Copy

•Denver

•Don Rosa Collection

•Gaines File Copy

•Green River

•Hawkeye

•Kansas City

•Larson

•Lost Valley

•Mass. Copy

•Mohawk Valley

•Haight-Ashbury

•Northford

•Northland

•Nova Scotia

•Oakland

•Ohio

•Okajima

•Pacific Coast

•Palo Alto

•Pennsylvania

•Recil Macon

•River City

•Rockford

•Rocky Mountain

•Salida

•San Francisco

•Savannah

•Spokane

•Suscha News

•Twilight

•Twin Cities

•Vancouver

•Western Penn

•White Mountain

•Windy City

•Winnipeg

Are ones like Don Rosa and Don/Maggie peds or just from their collection and not OO? What would Lloyd Jacquet collection be considered other than having poor PQ lol or Nicholas Cage which I know isn't OO?

from the site:

•Allentown

•Aurora

•Bethlehem

•Big Apple

•Boston

•Bowling Green

•Carson City

•Central Valley

•Chicago

•Cosmic Aeroplane

•Crowley

•Curator

•Davis Crippen “D” Copy

•Denver

•Don Rosa Collection

•Gaines File Copy

•Green River

•Hawkeye

•Kansas City

•Larson

•Lost Valley

•Mass. Copy

•Mohawk Valley

•Haight-Ashbury

•Northford

•Northland

•Nova Scotia

•Oakland

•Ohio

•Okajima

•Pacific Coast

•Palo Alto

•Pennsylvania

•Recil Macon

•River City

•Rockford

•Rocky Mountain

•Salida

•San Francisco

•Savannah

•Spokane

•Suscha News

•Twilight

•Twin Cities

•Vancouver

•Western Penn

•White Mountain

•Windy City

•Winnipeg

Nah, just going by the pedigree notation on the label. I've only seen one Western Penn GA book and I gave you the heads up on that one. It may sound ridiculous but I'm not really a pedigree collector except for Church, Gaines and Central Valley books. The rest all came because they either looked great or fit a hole in one of my runs. Crowleys and Crippens are the best for that.

from the site:

•Allentown

•Aurora

•Bethlehem

•Big Apple

•Boston

•Bowling Green

•Carson City

•Central Valley

•Chicago

•Cosmic Aeroplane

•Crowley

•Curator

•Davis Crippen “D” Copy

•Denver

•Don Rosa Collection

•Gaines File Copy

•Green River

•Hawkeye

•Kansas City

•Larson

•Lost Valley

•Mass. Copy

•Mohawk Valley

•Haight-Ashbury

•Northford

•Northland

•Nova Scotia

•Oakland

•Ohio

•Okajima

•Pacific Coast

•Palo Alto

•Pennsylvania

•Recil Macon

•River City

•Rockford

•Rocky Mountain

•Salida

•San Francisco

•Savannah

•Spokane

•Suscha News

•Twilight

•Twin Cities

•Vancouver

•Western Penn

•White Mountain

•Windy City

•Winnipeg

Are ones like Don Rosa and Don/Maggie peds or just from their collection and not OO? What would Lloyd Jacquet collection be considered other than having poor PQ lol or Nicholas Cage which I know isn't OO?

rosa and thompson, peds. just look where cgc puts it on the label. in middle, under title, just a notable collector's collection, i.e. cage, blades, jacquet, gibson, manarino, etc. over on the right, in the "pedigree spot," it's a ped.

Nah, just going by the pedigree notation on the label. I've only seen one Western Penn GA book and I gave you the heads up on that one. It may sound ridiculous but I'm not really a pedigree collector except for Church, Gaines and Central Valley books. The rest all came because they either looked great or fit a hole in one of my runs. Crowleys and Crippens are the best for that.

and thanks again for the tarzan. tim has several g.a. western penns, painted-cover tarzans i think.

rosa and thompson, peds. just look where cgc puts it on the label. in middle, under title, just a notable collector's collection, i.e. cage, blades, jacquet, gibson, manarino, etc. over on the right, in the "pedigree spot," it's a ped.

Thanks BP. I realized the placement was different but adding collection threw me. I honestly didn't know both Rosa and the Thompson's were bought by them off the rack.

I'm trying to do as many different pedigrees in my Pep run as possible. So far I have:

Bethlehem

Cosmic Aeroplane

Davis Crippen “D” Copy

Edgar Church (Mile High)

Hawkeye

Rockford

Western Penn

Circle 8

Diamond run

How does CGC recognize Kansas City books? I don't believe they are marked and were found by the Thompsons so long ago. I didn't think they even documented them. I think I might have a Capt. Marvel that I got in a trade from Don Thompson a hundred years ago at San Diego con I believe.

I started a "type" collection like Strawman years ago but kind of gave up when I couldn't find (or afford) many of them.

Now, I pretty much go for the ones with distinctive markings (Larson, Okajima, ect.)

I do have a Famous Funnies can't remember which issue off the top of my head, that I have the Lost Valley, Mile High, and Central Valley copies of. Would like to find more copies of that issue I don't have.

Thanks BP. I realized the placement was different but adding collection threw me. I honestly didn't know both Rosa and the Thompson's were bought by them off the rack.

I don't think they necessarily all have to be bought off the rack to get the pedigree designation (some of the Church books weren't). I think Rosa's books may actually all have been bought by him off the rack, but I believe D&M acquired some of their books second hand.

How does CGC recognize Kansas City books? I don't believe they are marked and were found by the Thompsons so long ago. I didn't think they even documented them. I think I might have a Capt. Marvel that I got in a trade from Don Thompson a hundred years ago at San Diego con I believe.

I started a "type" collection like Strawman years ago but kind of gave up when I couldn't find (or afford) many of them.

Now, I pretty much go for the ones with distinctive markings (Larson, Okajima, ect.)

I do have aFamous Funnies can't remember which issue off the top of my head, that I have the Lost Valley, Mile High, and Central Valley copies of. Would like to find more copies of that issue I don't have.

That's pretty neat. I suppose it could be another (very tough) collecting focus to get every known pedigree for a run of books.

I do have a Famous Funnies can't remember which issue off the top of my head, that I have the Lost Valley, Mile High, and Central Valley copies of. Would like to find more copies of that issue I don't have.

I'm a big fan of markings and names myself. I really don't have much interest in owning Mile High/Church copies that aren't coded, as I love those markings and "Larson" so much

I'm a big fan of markings and names myself. I really don't have much interest in owning Mile High/Church copies that aren't coded, as I love those markings and "Larson" so much

Throw camp Okajimas in that statement...

no question, sometimes a nut like me has to go outside his wheelhouse/gird himself, to keep the run going.

wpenn.jpg

Glad you finally got yourself a Western Penn GA! :applause:

You're welcome to all the Western Penn photo cover Tarzans that you want! lol

no question, sometimes a nut like me has to go outside his wheelhouse/gird himself, to keep the run going.

wpenn.jpg

Glad you finally got yourself a Western Penn GA! :applause:

You're welcome to all the Western Penn photo cover Tarzans that you want! lol

I happen to know Tim will happily trade you those for a broom closet on the Florida coast!