• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree collectors

100 posts in this topic

How does CGC recognize Kansas City books? I don't believe they are marked and were found by the Thompsons so long ago. I didn't think they even documented them. I think I might have a Capt. Marvel that I got in a trade from Don Thompson a hundred years ago at San Diego con I believe.

I started a "type" collection like Strawman years ago but kind of gave up when I couldn't find (or afford) many of them.

Now, I pretty much go for the ones with distinctive markings (Larson, Okajima, ect.)

I do have a Famous Funnies can't remember which issue off the top of my head, that I have the Lost Valley, Mile High, and Central Valley copies of. Would like to find more copies of that issue I don't have.

I'm a big fan of markings and names myself. I really don't have much interest in owning Mile High/Church copies that aren't coded, as I love those markings and "Larson" so much

every g.a. collector i know prefers the markings. in silver, however, i think they differ. for example, those guys often have disdain for a dennis-signed winnipeg, seeking a "clean" copy instead. not me--gimme the name.

How does CGC recognize Kansas City books? I don't believe they are marked and were found by the Thompsons so long ago. I didn't think they even documented them. I think I might have a Capt. Marvel that I got in a trade from Don Thompson a hundred years ago at San Diego con I believe.

I started a "type" collection like Strawman years ago but kind of gave up when I couldn't find (or afford) many of them.

Now, I pretty much go for the ones with distinctive markings (Larson, Okajima, ect.)

I do have a Famous Funnies can't remember which issue off the top of my head, that I have the Lost Valley, Mile High, and Central Valley copies of. Would like to find more copies of that issue I don't have.

I'm a big fan of markings and names myself. I really don't have much interest in owning Mile High/Church copies that aren't coded, as I love those markings and "Larson" so much

every g.a. collector i know prefers the markings. in silver, however, i think they differ. for example, those guys often have disdain for a dennis-signed winnipeg, seeking a "clean" copy instead. not me--gimme the name.

Given how distributor markings were so prevalent, I think GA folks welcome the markings as a part of the history of the book. While the markings are fine, I really enjoy the pedigrees with a history to them. Church, Okajima, Recil Macon, Crippen all have great back stories to go along with good-to-great quality books. While I love the Central Valleys for their beautiful white pages, the ones with the store stamps are the ones that I consider the coolest.

On the other hand, the SF/O'Reilly books have lost some of their allure to me given the increasing appearance that the story behind them was made up. They are lovely books and a joy to see, but knowing they might have been puffed up a bit with an urban legend diminishes the value I would place on them.

Reading this very interesting thread made me wonder if years from now,

(not in my lifetime) when and if my Collection is sold, could they be considered

as "pedigreed"? I know CGC does not consider them because of the small

quantity (700+) and quality (average 5.0)...but might a dealer find it beneficial

to list them as "Original Owner Collection"?

mm

(not in my lifetime) when and if my Collection is sold, could they be considered

quantity (700+) and quality (average 5.0)...but might a dealer find it beneficial

mm

Marty

An OOC has interest and merit in its own right for all of us. Yours definitely. Ped status is more about overall grade/quality of the trove.

As a footnote, it is interesting though that we leave this to CCG to determine for us. (Cookvilles are wonderful.)

Edited by Flex Mentallo

mm

Marty

An OOC has interest and merit in its own right for all of us. Yours definitely. Ped status is more about overall grade/quality of the trove.

As a footnote, it is interesting though that we leave this to CCG to determine for us. (Cookvilles are wonderful.)

Thanks...it's just a thought I had while reading this thread.

mm

Given how distributor markings were so prevalent, I think GA folks welcome the markings as a part of the history of the book. While the markings are fine, I really enjoy the pedigrees with a history to them. Church, Okajima, Recil Macon, Crippen all have great back stories to go along with good-to-great quality books. While I love the Central Valleys for their beautiful white pages, the ones with the store stamps are the ones that I consider the coolest.

I agree with Cheetah. Marking on golden age books adds to appeal to me. Its part of the history. My favorite stamped books are actually the easiest to attain.

I love Crowley file copies.

The in house stamp to me just rocks. As soon as you see the marking, there is no denying it came from the Crowley collection, & to know the book was one of the first of the production run and it was handled only once or twice in its life makes it twice as cool.

2rw6m2p.jpg

To me what it boils down to when talking to folks about Pedigree books and why they are so cool is simply this

Some books we collect for the story on the pages, some for the story *OF* the pages

Edited by Griff

I have a Crowley with no stamp, which seemed a little strange to me.

Is that unusual or are there a fair number missing stamps? Or perhaps some stamped internally?

I haven't cracked the slab to look for a stamp inside.

It's a Captain Midnight 17.

The in house stamp to me just rocks. As soon as you see the marking, there is no denying it came from the Crowley collection, & to know the book was one of the first of the production run and it was handled only once or twice in its life makes it twice as cool.

I have a Crowley with no stamp, which seemed a little strange to me.

Is that unusual or are there a fair number missing stamps? Or perhaps some stamped internally?

I haven't cracked the slab to look for a stamp inside.

It's a Captain Midnight 17.

most do not have the stamp. for a good taste of it, go to h.a., hit auction archives, and run "crowley." the "crowley file copy" books will constitute a distinct minority.

I think the File Copies are restricted to the Fawcett titles. Crowley retained at least one clean copy of every issue and usually one File Copy of every issue. Sometimes he kept more than one clean one. I haven't seen multiples of any File Copy issues. Books from other publishers are never file copies, just regular books.

I think the File Copies are restricted to the Fawcett titles. Crowley retained at least one clean copy of every issue and usually one File Copy of every issue. Sometimes he kept more than one clean one. I haven't seen multiples of any File Copy issues. Books from other publishers are never file copies, just regular books.

Here's a good example of both the Crowley/File Copy and a separate Crowley copy:

MasterComics11_90_zps31f0ca6b.jpg

MasterComics11_55_zps71302ff5.jpg

This is the only Recil Macon copy I own, but I am very fond of it :)

AllFlash1RecilMacon_zps3954201c.jpg