• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan question????

37 posts in this topic

Need some advice!!! I went to a local comic show yesterday, and a dealer that I've done business with before had a nice run of Conan, issues 1-24. They were all very nice, raw books (in the 9.0 - 9.2 range; some were nicer). He would let them go for $1000, and would allow me to take the books and pay him in three time payments. I have no issues of Conan, but have been thinking about picking up some. This would give me the complete (?) Barry Smith run in one purchase. Of course, my question is, not being that familiar with Conan, is this a good deal? I'm looking at about $42 per book. What do you guys think?

#1 and # 3 in that grade range would be $388 in 9.0, so it would not be a great deal, but if your going to sit on them for 10-15, then yes. If you plan to flip them, could be tuff to get the money back in raw, and the $388 would be 100% of guide.

Need some advice!!! I went to a local comic show yesterday, and a dealer that I've done business with before had a nice run of Conan, issues 1-24. They were all very nice, raw books (in the 9.0 - 9.2 range; some were nicer). He would let them go for $1000, and would allow me to take the books and pay him in three time payments. I have no issues of Conan, but have been thinking about picking up some. This would give me the complete (?) Barry Smith run in one purchase. Of course, my question is, not being that familiar with Conan, is this a good deal? I'm looking at about $42 per book. What do you guys think?

That's a horrible, horrible deal. Conan raw is a total and complete dog book, and you should be able to get 1-24 in the low NM range for at least half that, maybe more. Outside of 1, 3 and maybe 24, there's no demand for the book at all, even with the Dark Horse series. Offer him $400 and see if he bites.

Thanks for the advice. That's kinda what I was thinking. I've never been a big Conan fan, so I don't know too much about that series. Just thought I'd throw that question out and see, though. Thanks guys. Think I'll stick to the silverage DC books. — Rick

1000$ that's a lot f money, i advice you to let it go if the seller doesn't lower the price.

If you can get at 500$ or at worst 600$, now that would change considerably your take. but i wonder if the seller would be willing to lost 50% of his initial price?!

try your luck, it's a great/gorgeous one (don't buy stuff onlly thinking about the investisement - if you love it get it, even if you don't get it too cheap) and a must have for any sword/scorcery comic book reader, possibly one of his grails!!!

let us know how it went... wink.gif

good luck

If I sound pessimistic just ignore it: There is no way the books are truly 9.0-9.2 or better. The dealer would have them CGC graded himself. A quick check at GPA will give you a snapshot glance at the market. Someone posted in this thread that Conan is a dog...I guess I view Conan as a buying opportunity, in 9.4 or better only and as a 'hold' title and obviously, only at the right price. This is not a title you attempt to 'flip' currently. There are a ton of copies available but there is going to come a point where great story and art take hold in the market. Ocassionally rumored is another Conan movie...I think the latest one had TripleH in the role...by no means a blockbuster but still a potential sell bump if it did occur. Pass on the deal. I'd be wary if he did take the $500 offer...

Right now you are seeing interest in Conan at a 20 year high thanks to the Dark Horse series. That being said I wouldn't touch these books for $1,000 -- probably not even for $500. Cherry pick 1, 3 and 24 from this guy and be done with him. If you really push him you might be able to walk for < $250. You can get the rest cheap some place else.

Thanks for the great advice, everyone. I think I will pass on the deal, even at $500. I don't think he will go that low anyway. Besides, I'd much rather spend the money on a couple really nice silverage Green Lantern's or Mystery In Space. Like I said earlier, I've never been a big Conan fan, and, believe it or not, I'm not a big fan of Barry Smith, either. That being said, some of those B. Smith Conan covers are pretty nice. Again, thanks for the great advice!

if he's a dealer i don't see why he would let them go for $500 in that alleged condition

with that said, in 9.0 that stack of books is $1467 in OPG. if you have some 9.2s and 9.4s in there, and none of them are under 9.0...., maybe we're pushing $1800 in OPG?

why would the dealer sell these high grade books at 1/3 of guide?

as for the books being "dogs"... #2 (granted, in 9.8) just went for $1200 or something like that. i think there's some interest in this stuff. the number of posters alone on these boards putting together the BWS conan run alone would indicate interest.

how much would it cost to PGA them?

i wouldn't pay a grand, but that's mainly because the difference between a tight 6.0 and tight 9.0 doesn't mean that much to me.

but i'd grab that for $500 in a heartbeat. of course, it's a title i actually like and anything above an 8.0 would probably be an upgrade on all of those issues for me.

do people here really think they need CGC's seal of approval before they can consider a book a 9.0? i like cgc when i'm laying down money for a book on ebay with a lousy scan or whatever, unknown seller, etc. i don't think i need it for an "in person" purchase on bronze age books where mastermind restoration probably isn't an issue. not for a 9.0, maybe higher. i tend to downgrade 9.4s and 9.2s to 9.0 for grading purposes I suppose. well, in person i guess i downgrade them to VFs to be safe.

if he's a dealer i don't see why he would let them go for $500 in that alleged condition

with that said, in 9.0 that stack of books is $1467 in OPG. if you have some 9.2s and 9.4s in there, and none of them are under 9.0...., maybe we're pushing $1800 in OPG?

as for the books being "dogs"... #2 (granted, in 9.8) just went for $1200 or something like that. i think there's some interest in this stuff. the number of posters alone on these boards putting together the BWS conan run alone would indicate interest.

i wouldn't pay a grand, but that's mainly because the difference between a tight 6.0 and tight 9.0 doesn't mean that much to me.

but i'd grab that for $500 in a heartbeat. of course, it's a title i actually like and anything above an 8.0 would probably be an upgrade on all of those issues for me.

do people here really think they need CGC's seal of approval before they can consider a book a 9.0? i like cgc when i'm laying down money for a book on ebay with a lousy scan or whatever, unknown seller, etc. i don't think i need it for an "in person" purchase on bronze age books where mastermind restoration probably isn't an issue. not for a 9.0, maybe higher. i tend to downgrade 9.4s and 9.2s to 9.0 for grading purposes I suppose. well, in person i guess i downgrade them to VFs to be safe.

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

i guess it's hard to gauge the "raw" market, but a search of "CGC conan" followed by 8.0, 8.5, 9.0, 9.2 and 9.4 shows a bunch of books going for 80-120%+ of guide.

not a total wasteland if the OP trusts his grading ability...

but, if you're just looking for a quick flip, the uncertainty of having things slabbed, plus the cost... i think you can still make a worthwhile amount of money at $750 on the lot

$1000 may be cutting it too close after slabbing fees, even if using cheap pgx on the less expensive stuff... then again, it may not be worthwhile to slab 9.0s of those cheaper books, and then maybe not be able to unload them....

#10 use to hold some weight as well "Grim Gray God" as I think this is the 1st comic book app of.....The guy James Earl Jones played in the movie..having a brain cramp here.

Correct me if I'm wrong here,as its been many years,but JEJ plays Thulsa Doom,a villian from King Kull,not Conan. Outside of the movie specials,I don't remember Doom appearing in a Conan story.

Anyone?

If you paid $500 for that collection, you're overpaying. Again, outside of 1, 3, and maybe 24, there is no demand for the series at all NONE. Figure for $5-10 TOPS for issues 10-23, even in VF/NM 9.0 condition.

Because that's more than he'll get for them on the marketplace, and he can move the books RIGHT NOW.

Figure for $5-10 TOPS for issues 10-23, even in VF/NM 9.0 condition.

If you have a run of 10-23 in strict VF/NM, I will pay you $10 per book. And I bet that if you listed a complete 10-23 set in VF/NM on Ebay, you'd get more than $130. I listed an 11 issue set on Ebay in 2003, all in the 5-23 range, with the average grade being VF, and I got around $120 for it.