• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Favorite All-Time Cover (w/Explanation)

158 posts in this topic

I have two favorites:

1192_2951_4.jpg

bat37a.jpg

I've loved them ever since seeing them reproduced in the BATMAN:FROM THE THIRTIES TO THE SEVENTIES book in the early 1970's. Unfortunately, I don't own either one at this time.

Do you own that Tec 31? 893whatthe.gifhail.gif That's the only comic I can ever see myself spending multiple thousands on. So sweet! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Sadly not - although it's one of my grails, without question. I've wanted that comic in decent shape for a very long time........this particular copy is available from Metro for $11K!!!

893whatthe.gif I saw one at San Diego last year for 4K, looked nice except for the fact that it was a frankenbook. The centerfold (and possibly the cover, can't remember) were married to another copy. Looked to be VG/F otherwise. Good or bad price? The guy selling it was really nice, showed me the book and talked for awhile even though he knew my bankroll at the time was about $300.

Do you own that Tec 31? 893whatthe.gifhail.gif That's the only comic I can ever see myself spending multiple thousands on. So sweet! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Sadly not - although it's one of my grails, without question. I've wanted that comic in decent shape for a very long time........this particular copy is available from Metro for $11K!!!

893whatthe.gif I saw one at San Diego last year for 4K, looked nice except for the fact that it was a frankenbook. The centerfold (and possibly the cover, can't remember) were married to another copy. Looked to be VG/F otherwise. Good or bad price?

Tough call. If you really wanted the book for a "decent price" in decent shape it doesn't sound too bad, bearing in mind that an unrestored VG/F copy guides for about $7K.

I generally steer clear of married books, though. If it was just the centrefold that was married however, and the job was well done (i.e. no trimming, and no other resto on the book) I would've said that the price was acceptable, although I would've haggled the dealer down a bit.

As for myself, I'm a MODERN kinda guy. I was born long after the Silver Age, so I missed most of that and am trying to catch up by reading some Essentials TPBs.

I was born a decade after the silver age ended, but believe me, after a few months on these boards you will be chasing SA stuff and drooling over posts in the GA forum. Moderns will be a distant memory. 27_laughing.gif

BTW, good choice on the McF Spideys. Those were some of the first comics I ever read and I always felt that run was a great deal better than people gave it credit for. thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm beginning to love SA books. But I just know that I will never have a huge collection of them due to their price. So I'm perfectly happy with some of the 80s and 90s books and runs that I have, while picking up a few key moderns and SA's along the way.

Do you only collect HG? I too have a limited budget, but if you shoot for raw 6.0-8.0 SA and BA books can be had for peanuts compared to their HG counterparts.

No actually I've bought about a 3.0 ASM 50, a 4.0-5.0 X-Men 13 and a 7.0 Avengers 57. If I buy SA books, they are definitely going to be 7.0 or 8.0 and below.

Here's two oddball covers. The first really exemplifies the Silver Age, IMO. I love the late 50's/early 60's DC stuff. This isn't my book, I got it off of comiclink.com, but I do plan to get a nice graded one when I can find one. The second, is also from Comiclink, that I attempted to win today, I haven't got a confirmation on it yet. It's just a really cool Mr. Miracle cover by Kirby (and the highest graded). I could probably do without the blurbs all over it, though.

fl111.jpg

mm2.jpg

This warrior of a book is a little worse for wear, but I bought this off the newstands in the Bronx in late 1968. Still knocks me out after 36 years. I will get a high grade copy of this someday. As white as I can afford!

ca111.jpg

Such as tough call but I'd have to go with SS#4. John B was just such a notch above everyone else when came to pure talent.

SS4-8.jpg

That one WILL be my favorite when I own a HG copy. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

"It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine."

wayne1.jpg