• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Favorite All-Time Cover (w/Explanation)

158 posts in this topic

I've been procrastinating as I really can't narrow it down to a single favorite cover - but as someone mentioned no Cole yet, and I already have this scanned, I'll post it as one of my favorite covers. Ever since it grabbed my eye on the cover of The Gerber Guide I've loved this cover - simple, dramatic, colorful and unlike any other comic cover I've seen.

700952-contact12.jpg

700952-contact12.jpg.d0d9d0aecdd339c108834525aba17c52.jpg

The first Batman comic I ever bought. I got it off the spinner at the local drugstore and I still have it, about in this condition. I love the 1970s Batman books. A story per issue, solid if not fantastic art, and some very solid writing. Batman was a solo detective, not some guy saddled with Sixties pop, some punk kid in garish colors, Eighties angst, or recent character excess.

1ghq49

Here's one of my favorites, and like the Contact 12 posted above, this one features Cole's trademark use of bright reds, yellows, and blues along with a psychadelic element...way before it was fashionable (this book was published in 1943).

mask1.jpg

Here's one of my favorites, and like the Contact 12 posted above, this one features Cole's trademark use of bright reds, yellows, and blues along with a psychadelic element...way before it was fashionable (this book was published in 1943).

mask1.jpg

That's one I wish I had to post. thumbsup2.gif I WILL own one someday. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

For those of you who never make it over to the Golden Age forums, here's one that should be on all "greatest cover" lists, from 1940:

Superworld1Front.jpg

One of only 4 comic covers ever done by pulp artist Frank Paul, along with the other two issues of Superworld and, of course, Marvel Comics #1.

My choice should come as no real surprise:

701442-glga76_med.jpg

This is my copy, bought from mail order pioneer Howard Rogofsky sometime around 1980.

Why? well it is the signature book of the DC bronze age, the period and style that got me hooked on this hobby. Years before I ever saw a copy of this book for sale I knew it from the DC house ads of 1971 touting all the awards the series was winning. Absolutely love the groovy cover copy: STOP! this is the NEW Green Lantern co-starring Green Arrow.

And, my favorite color? (long before I ever picked up a comic) Yep, you guessed it.

Man, there's NO way I could narrow it down to just one.

I love FF #112 because I love battle covers, and Hulk/Thing is my favorite matchup. I also love Sub-Mariner #8 because of the battle cover.

1874_4_08.jpg

I've also always liked this issue of Iron Man (#132) as a battle cover, and it has some sentimental value for me, because it was one of the first Iron Man comics I ever owned.

1867_4_0132.jpg

For modern covers, here's a Green Lantern issue (#145) from 2002 that I think is pretty neat:

3986_4_0000145.jpg

My choice should come as no real surprise:

Why? well it is the signature book of the DC bronze age, the period and style that got me hooked on this hobby. Years before I ever saw a copy of this book for sale I knew it from the DC house ads of 1971 touting all the awards the series was winning. Absolutely love the groovy cover copy: STOP! this is the NEW Green Lantern co-starring Green Arrow.

And, my favorite color? (long before I ever picked up a comic) Yep, you guessed it.

What about that Neal Adams guy?.. where is the props for poor little Neal?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Ze-

Man, there's NO way I could narrow it down to just one.

I love FF #112 because I love battle covers, and Hulk/Thing is my favorite matchup. I also love Sub-Mariner #8 because of the battle cover.

1874_4_08.jpg

I've also always liked this issue of Iron Man (#132) as a battle cover, and it has some sentimental value for me, because it was one of the first Iron Man comics I ever owned.

1867_4_0132.jpg

For modern covers, here's a Green Lantern issue (#145) from 2002 that I think is pretty neat:

3986_4_0000145.jpg

Can't disagree with those. Bob Layton doesn't get the props he deserves.

What about that Neal Adams guy?.. where is the props for poor little Neal?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Ze-

No, never any cover credits for Neal (at least not in the 70s), but DC sure did hype the arrival of The King (take that, Stan!) in another favorite iconic Bronze Age DC cover:

701763-newgods1.jpg

701763-newgods1.jpg.4a2321735529e511f00c61b0aff2f2ae.jpg

I liked this thread, so I will try and save it from an untimely death. Here are some of my favorite covers, by some of my favorite artists (Adams excluded cause there are too many good ones)...

Kubert (tie w/ WW 6, 7)

Image Hosted by imagehosting.us

Jones (tie with Wonder Woman 199, 200)

Cardy

Buscema (tie w/ SS 4)

yeah, didn't see anything by the fine folks at First, so thought i'd just toss one in there...from the vastly underrated and underappreciated H. Chaykin:

03428295350.1.GIF

I love the tagline. i wish i had thought of it first