• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any books red hot 5-10 years ago that have now fallen?

197 posts in this topic

I don't think 9.8 should be the barometer of the hotness/coolness of a book.

Especially from 5-10 years ago. That was more a barometer for an immature market. Once there was a better understanding of the volume of 9.8's available, prices adjusted accordingly.

I think you would be better served comparing prices to a maximum of 9.4, since it would naturally buffer the far less complete information available to the market 5-10 years ago.

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

2009: $30,500

2010: $25,000

2011: $10,158

2013: $7,335

2014: $6,274 (Don & Maggie copy)

Perfect example of a hot artist being hot with his generation`s fans and not with the modern generation.

Steranko books have taken a hit, as well.

So in conclusion

A hot first appearance of a character will trump a hot first appearance of an artist in the long run.

Thank god! :grin:

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

Perfect example of a hot artist being hot with his generation`s fans and not with the modern generation.

So in conclusion

A hot first appearance of a character will trump a hot first appearance of an artist in the long run.

Thank god! :grin:

I will give Steranko credit in that I found his SHIELD comics to be better then the TV show SHIELD.

Now if the TV show SHIELD was based more on the Steranko comics, then his comics would have gotten much higher in price.

Don`t get me wrong Neal Adams and Steranko rule, but the newer generation has their own artistic favorites.

The fever that surrounded the bidding for top census copies in the early years of CGC severely inverted the "always buy the best" logic of collecting that had prevailed until then. It used to be that overpaying for high grade keys looked like a shrewd investment a decade later. Not so much anymore.

Why shouldn't we use 9.8 as a barometer for Bronze? If anything, it was the BSDs on this board who were able to buy those books, and/or bring them to market--which inflated the census numbers & decreased the prices.

And 9.8 has long been the standard for Copper & Modern books but for maybe a dozen (like TMNT 1).

If anything, this might be a particularly bad time to compare prices on Marvel Bronze, since we're smack in the middle of a movie rumor hype bubble -- which (Suicide Squad aside) hasn't yet afflicted the DC books.

DC books might be a much better (i.e., sustainable) measure of "was hot, now cold" simply because it seems every 3rd tier Marvel Bronze 1st appearance is now in demand as potential movie fodder.

Other books that have fallen = many of the past movie hype books (Tales Suspense 97, Daredevil 111, ASM 121, ASM 129, etc.)

I thought Green Lantern #76 was the poster child for this.

Only the top grades for GL 76.

As a whole, the book has increased over the years.

Ultimate Spider Man #1 is the one that jumps out to me. Cheaper now than 10 years ago.

Is it? What was it going for in 9.8 10 years ago?

Every single Bronze book in 9.8

Hulk181, GSX1, X94, GL76 etc ...

The multiples in 9.8 have dropped but those books have been slowly rising in all lower grades.

At some point the lower grades will push up the highest grades again...which is the way it should be. There needs to be a relationship between all tiers for stability.

People paying many multiples of 9.6 prices for a 9.8 was just too much volatility for the market to accept over the long term.

The comic market did exactly what the coin market did, 20 years earlier: the rush to have "highest graded, low census" created artificial prices. Hulk #181 was never, ever really worth $30,000 in 9.8....but it WAS worth about $10-$12k, and now prices have settled into what they really are. When there were only a few, the fear was on that that was all there ever was going to be, even among people who otherwise knew better and could think rationally.

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

So in conclusion

No.

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

So in conclusion

No.

Clarify please?

hm

Interesting history lesson here. The drop in the great majority (nearly all?) 9.6/9.8 Bronze Age books over a 10-year period is a careful lesson that applies with greater force to the crazy-high census-count 9.8 Coppers, issues that have an even greater number out there unslabbed, waiting to be dropped on the market.

I've been saying this for 10 years. It parallels the coin market, except it took a little longer to play out, because there was only one grading company, as opposed to two.

All the prices you see? All the 9.6/9.8 prices? None of them are real. Yes, people actually paid those prices, but they weren't a real reflection of what actually existed.

I just wish I'd been far, far more aggressive myself, but I did ok. Sold a Primer #2 for $1150 (still the record) and a Spidey #300 for $1350, among other things. ;)

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

So in conclusion

No.

Clarify please?

hm

Those prices have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the popularity of Neal Adams, who is just as popular today as he was 6 years ago, and everything to do with census numbers.

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

So in conclusion

No.

Clarify please?

hm

Those prices have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the popularity of Neal Adams, who is just as popular today as he was 6 years ago, and everything to do with census numbers.

Ah. Now I see. The census numbers for Adams went up. There is more of them on the census now.

B

Why shouldn't we use 9.8 as a barometer for Bronze?

Because the lack of information about the true availability of 9.8 Bronze books artificially overvalued them in the 5-10 year period that the OP references.

But why wouldn't that be true for 9.4 as well? Just because they haven't fallen (yet) due to increased pressing and slabbing doesn't mean they won't follow suit as supply inevitably increases.

In most cases today's prices are more a reflection of "not yet valuable enough to slab the 9.4s" rather than a true reflection of value.

Those who think the 9.2 - 9.4 prices are more stable than the 9.8 prices may be in for a rude awakening five years from now, esp. once the Disney Marvel movie hype has diminished.

B
Why shouldn't we use 9.8 as a barometer for Bronze?

Because the lack of information about the true availability of 9.8 Bronze books artificially overvalued them in the 5-10 year period that the OP references.

But why wouldn't that be true for 9.4 as well? Just because they haven't fallen (yet) due to increased pressing and slabbing doesn't mean they won't follow suit as supply inevitably increases.

In most cases today's prices are more a reflection of "not yet valuable enough to slab the 9.4s" rather than a true reflection of value.

Those who think the 9.2 - 9.4 prices are more stable than the 9.8 prices may be in for a rude awakening five years from now, esp. once the Disney Marvel movie hype has diminished.

I don`t see them diminishing.

Why would they?

Iron Man came out in 2008. Here we are in 2015 and the Marvel movies are bigger then ever!

Think of the Super Bowl. The interest in that never diminishes.

The Marvel movies are like events now.

There are three must see movies for me in 2015.

They are all Disney movies.

Avengers, Ant-Man and Star Wars.

I don`t see people getting tired of them, especially when they only make 2 or 3 of them a year.

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

I am happy for that.That way I can afford a decent copy one day

I don`t see people getting tired of them, especially when they only make 2 or 3 of them a year.

But we should not limit the volume of movies to Marvel Studios-produced movies. With Warner Bros. getting into the swing of things and Fox and Sony doing their thing, we're going to be seeing 7+ superhero movies a year, not counting the 10+ superhero TV shows that will soon be out concurrently. Non-collector popular society will tire of them eventually, but I think the next 5 years should be fine.