• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any books red hot 5-10 years ago that have now fallen?

197 posts in this topic

Westerns were dead when I was a kid in the 80s.

But after at least a 50 year run.

I had to come back for this one last point. :)

This is the big difference between western and superheroes.

The western heroes all got old and died.

John Wayne,Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers and Gene Autry all iconic heroes for their generation. All got old and died. :o

The superheroes never get old and die. In fact they keep reinventing themselves for new generations. (thumbs u

How many new Marvel, Batman and Superman fans have been introduced to the comic book movies and animation shows these last two decades?

I would say millions.

So western heroes die, and don`t come back for new generations, while superheroes never die and keep reinventing themselves.

Thus superheroes will not suffer the same fate like the cowboy TV western heroes.

:applause:

Because you haven't heard of a film it's a 'horrid example'?

It was a big budget, big name film, out at around the GOTG release and bombed.

And you haven't seen GOTG?

Perhaps less research and more watching might give you a better insight into what is being shown on screen at the moment.

How many Marvel films have you actually watched in the cinema? You can research all you like, but if you haven't actually viewed the product on offer, how can you comment on them?

As you say, just some thoughts. I'll leave this thread to those who have researched income inequality and the like.

Projection, much? This was my same exact response to you regarding the issue of the collector being made vs. born debate; which you didn't even comment on.

Uh research income equality? How does that fit into your criticism of me not watching Marvel movies...?

Wow Beige, wow. This is why I don't engage you very much in discussion. I think this post clarifies it perfectly.

Please tell me how my statement regarding income equality is incorrect in the subtext provided? As the gap between the rich and the poor widens very few individuals can afford four, five, or six figure comic books. This is FACT.

Congrats though...we once again drifted off topic...

To me that is work, but then again I have a degree in business and can easily make money in any financial climate. Sometimes I have to wonder how the mind of the speculator thinks.

Even 2007-2009? Less us know your secret! :D

Absolutely! That was the best time to buy. Here is my secret. Invest heavily in index funds while the price is low and buy up undervalued companies. Note I bought GE stock for about $5 a share and sold at over $20 a share.

REIT's have been very kind to me as well.

As stated before my net worth literally nearly quadrupled when the market recovered.

Is that really a secret; buy low, sell high?

Gee u be smarte,I wisht I wuz az smarts az u. :insane:

Not sure what the point of your post is? let's look at the facts as to why I posted this shall we?

I made a rather long post on the validity of the mind of the average speculator of mass produced items. I even asked several questions which no one bothered to answer ( a favor that will be repaid in full; don't worry).

A fellow member decides rather then to focus on that topic alone to quote a certain point from my post and focus on that instead; thus taking this whole thread completely off topic (which it is still is). I answer in kind unlike the speculators who decided to once again ignore my original questions.

You now decide to take my response and mock me as a result of it. Wow you are just such an outstanding person. I wish I could be just like you..oh wait, no I don't. Is there an emoticon I should use now? Or would that be much too childish? Or wait, don't answer much like the original speculators I asked in my original post that had nothing to do with this...

Ironically if I would not have responded to those questions asked I would be labeled as someone who ignored a question being asked...which ironically the original speculators have yet to respond to me as well...oh my the irony!

Thus the reason why I continue to only come on this forum what once every two weeks or sometimes once a month? To those that email me as to why I no longer post as much as usual you now know why.

Westerns were dead when I was a kid in the 80s.

But after at least a 50 year run.

I had to come back for this one last point. :)

This is the big difference between western and superheroes.

The western heroes all got old and died.

John Wayne,Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers and Gene Autry all iconic heroes for their generation. All got old and died. :o

The superheroes never get old and die. In fact they keep reinventing themselves for new generations. (thumbs u

How many new Marvel, Batman and Superman fans have been introduced to the comic book movies and animation shows these last two decades?

I would say millions.

So western heroes die, and don`t come back for new generations, while superheroes never die and keep reinventing themselves.

Thus superheroes will not suffer the same fate like the cowboy TV western heroes.

Uh, no. You are aware that not all the Western heroes were actually living people, correct? A lot were fictional characters. That argument does not hold merit.

guess they couldn't find an actor born post WWII to play a cowboy.

To me that is work, but then again I have a degree in business and can easily make money in any financial climate. Sometimes I have to wonder how the mind of the speculator thinks.

Absolutely! That was the best time to buy. Here is my secret. Invest heavily in index funds while the price is low and buy up undervalued companies. Note I bought GE stock for about $5 a share and sold at over $20 a share.

As stated before my net worth literally nearly quadrupled when the market recovered.

Not sure what the point of your post is? let's look at the facts as to why I posted this shall we?

I made a rather long post on the validity of the mind of the average speculator of mass produced items. I even asked several questions which no one bothered to answer ( a favor that will be repaid in full; don't worry).

A fellow member decides rather then to focus on that topic alone to quote a certain point from my post and focus on that instead; thus taking this whole thread completely off topic (which it is still is). I answer in kind unlike the speculators who decided to once again ignore my original questions.

You now decide to take my response and mock me as a result of it. Wow you are just such an outstanding person. I wish I could be just like you..oh wait, no I don't. Is there an emoticon I should use now? Or would that be much too childish? Or wait, don't answer much like the original speculators I asked in my original post that had nothing to do with this...

Ironically if I would not have responded to those questions asked I would be labeled as someone who ignored a question being asked...which ironically the original speculators have yet to respond to me as well...oh my the irony!

Thus the reason why I continue to only come on this forum what once every two weeks or sometimes once a month? To those that email me as to why I no longer post as much as usual you now know why.

Let's be honest here. You come off as a pompous azzhole,who thinks he knows everything about everything.RMA is like that as well,but you know the difference between you and RMA....He does know what he's talking about.

Nuff said! You can go back and fourth spinning your wheels like a bunch of hamsters again. :eyeroll:

Let's be honest here. You come off as a pompous azzhole,who thinks he knows everything about everything.RMA is like that as well,but you know the difference between you and RMA....He does know what he's talking about.

Nuff said! You can go back and fourth spinning your wheels like a bunch of hamsters again. :eyeroll:

Being honest would involve going back and reading what I already wrote and acknowledging what occurred. I didn't ask to be questioned about something that had absolutely NOTHING to do with the original topic.

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

2009: $30,500

2010: $25,000

2011: $10,158

2013: $7,335

2014: $6,274 (Don & Maggie copy)

Perfect example of a hot artist being hot with his generation`s fans and not with the modern generation.

Steranko books have taken a hit, as well.

So in conclusion

A hot first appearance of a character will trump a hot first appearance of an artist in the long run.

No.

Clarify please?

hm

Those prices have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the popularity of Neal Adams, who is just as popular today as he was 6 years ago, and everything to do with census numbers.

+1 There was a mania surrounding that book in high grade at the time. There was a lot of discussion here about how hard it was to find in grade, etc. that inflated the price. It was clear what was happening at the time.

+2

I think I also have to disagree that Steranko books have taken a large hit. His most in demand covers remain very strong. IH annual 1 in 9.6 has seen some very strong sales in the past six months and CA 111 commands what I consider strong prices in hg despite the large number of high grade copies available.

I think I'd have to agree with you actually. The interest in Steranko isn't totally gone. 8 of the top 10 viewed slabs I have in my collection on myslabbedcomics.com are Steranko's. Of course this is totally non-scientific, but it shows there is still some interest.

Steranko is drek. Dump your slabs now, while you still can!

:whistle:(<----without this, 75% of the people won't know I'm kidding. With it, that number improves to 50%.)

. You come off as a pompous azzhole,who thinks he knows everything about everything.RMA is like that as well,

Awww, thanks OakHEY!!!

:mad:

It was meant with love. :foryou:

If you really loved me, you would have come over to see me at Terry's show...

:cry:

I practically owned Marv Wolfman the entire day.

:D

. You come off as a pompous azzhole,who thinks he knows everything about everything.RMA is like that as well,

Awww, thanks OakHEY!!!

It was meant with love. :foryou:

If you really loved me, you would have come over to see me at Terry's show...

:cry:

I practically owned Marv Wolfman the entire day.

:D

I bought a TMNT #1 and ran outta money. :pullhair: So I went home. :sorry:

Here's a thought,why don't you guys buy what you like.If it gains value all the better,if it doesn't at least you have something you like?

Why make comics so difficult? It really would take all the fun out of the hobby(for me),to worry about all the the movie hype,investment crazed nonsense.

Showcase 22 :whee:

Here's a thought,why don't you guys buy what you like.If it gains value all the better,if it doesn't at least you have something you like?

Why make comics so difficult? It really would take all the fun out of the hobby(for me),to worry about all the the movie hype,investment crazed nonsense.

Showcase 22 :whee:

And beauty it is too! :applause:

Knocked that one out of the park.

Knocked that one out of the park.

Awww, thanks QuickHEY!!!!

Awww, thanks OakHEY!!!

lol Hey! When I said pretty much the same thing I got in trouble!

That's what you get for being UBB code savvy.

:sumo:

Most of the Byrne X-Men have treaded water at best over the last 5 years. ASM 238 hasn't done much either. Some of the Neal Adams books, 232 aside, have cooled off a bit recently. I've gone on record saying GL 76 shouldn't be the second most expensive BA book, but it's starting to look affordable in FN grade compared to some other keys. X-Men 94 isn't cheap, but is still affordable which is nice. IMO it's the single most important book of the era.

I collected those Byrne X-Men off the stands. I remember really enjoying reading them. I have not followed their value though.