• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any books red hot 5-10 years ago that have now fallen?

197 posts in this topic

B
Why shouldn't we use 9.8 as a barometer for Bronze?

Because the lack of information about the true availability of 9.8 Bronze books artificially overvalued them in the 5-10 year period that the OP references.

But why wouldn't that be true for 9.4 as well? Just because they haven't fallen (yet) due to increased pressing and slabbing doesn't mean they won't follow suit as supply inevitably increases.

In most cases today's prices are more a reflection of "not yet valuable enough to slab the 9.4s" rather than a true reflection of value.

Those who think the 9.2 - 9.4 prices are more stable than the 9.8 prices may be in for a rude awakening five years from now, esp. once the Disney Marvel movie hype has diminished.

I don`t see them diminishing.

Why would they?

Iron Man came out in 2008. Here we are in 2015 and the Marvel movies are bigger then ever!

Think of the Super Bowl. The interest in that never diminishes.

The Marvel movies are like events now.

There are three must see movies for me in 2015.

They are all Disney movies.

Avengers, Ant-Man and Star Wars.

I don`t see people getting tired of them, especially when they only make 2 or 3 of them a year.

I'm not sure the Super Bowl analogy really works here, at least not the way you think it does. The interest in this year's Super Bowl never diminishes, until it is over. How many folks care about last year's Super Bowl, or its merchandise? The event is all about hype, and for many it isn't even about the game itself. How many folks who couldn't care less about football tune in or go to parties? Is that what you'd like for comic films?

Bringing up the 2008 Iron Man is also interesting. I doubt very many folks would get that excited about that film anymore. How many TOS #39 sales do you reckon are being driven in 2015 off of that 2008 film? I'd wager that none are. If people are buying books it's because of the next film, not the past one. All of the interest in the comics is being driven by the hype of upcoming films, not the film itself (many of which aren't even due for what, five years in some cases). I love comics, and I'm tiring of the hype. I haven't even gotten around to seeing Winter Soldier yet; not because I don't want to see it, I do, but these films are becoming so ubiquitous lately that, for me at least, they aren't really that special any more. Iron Man and Spider-man were big deal, must see in the theater movies, but that effect is wearing off. Maybe because I'm in my 40s and getting crotchety, but I'm a comic fan who is pretty much over the hype. You don't think that'll happen to others?

This may be the first time in history something stays hot forever, but that's pretty unlikely.

Superhero films represent a distinct genre, and film historians have documented the way in which film genres progress. That progression is fairly predictable. From http://www.cod.edu/people/faculty/pruter/film/filmtopics.htm:

"1.Primitive--During this stage the conventions of the genre are just developing, and the audience has yet to develop set expectations for the genre.

2.Classical--During this stage, the genre is at its peak of popularity, the conventions of the genre receive their fullest expression, and the audience knows what to expect.

3.Parodic--By this stage, the conventions of the genre have become so stale and well-known, that they are laughable and ripe for parody.

4.Revisionist--During this stage, genre films consciously question and/or reverse the established conventions of the classical stage of the genre."

I haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy, but judging from the trailers, which I have seen, I'd say it may qualify as a parody of the genre (just like the comic was in all likelihood intended as a parody of super-hero comics). Kick- probably qualifies, too. As more parodies come along, superhero movies will lose some of their coolness with the general public.The revisionist phase may keep the genre going strong for a while, but like other film genres such as gangster films and westerns, superhero movies will almost certainly fade at some point.

Superhero films represent a distinct genre, and film historians have documented the way in which film genres progress. That progression is fairly predictable. From http://www.cod.edu/people/faculty/pruter/film/filmtopics.htm:

"1.Primitive--During this stage the conventions of the genre are just developing, and the audience has yet to develop set expectations for the genre.

2.Classical--During this stage, the genre is at its peak of popularity, the conventions of the genre receive their fullest expression, and the audience knows what to expect.

3.Parodic--By this stage, the conventions of the genre have become so stale and well-known, that they are laughable and ripe for parody.

4.Revisionist--During this stage, genre films consciously question and/or reverse the established conventions of the classical stage of the genre."

I haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy, but judging from the trailers, which I have seen, I'd say it may qualify as a parody of the genre (just like the comic was in all likelihood intended as a parody of super-hero comics). Kick- probably qualifies, too. As more parodies come along, superhero movies will lose their some of their coolness with the general public.The revisionist phase may keep the genre going strong for a while, but like other film genres such as gangster films and westerns, superhero movies will almost certainly fade at some point.

It wasn`t a parody, but probably the beginning of a new Star Wars type franchise.

It will probably last much longer then the original old school iconic characters because it seems new and fresh.

I don`t think the comic movies will fade.

The Avengers Age of Ultron will break all box office records in May.

Superman vs. Batman will then do another billion the year after.

Think about this.

Tim Burton`s Batman came out in 1989.

Well, here we are 25 plus years later, and superhero movies are stronger then ever.

B

Because the lack of information about the true availability of 9.8 Bronze books artificially overvalued them in the 5-10 year period that the OP references.

But why wouldn't that be true for 9.4 as well? Just because they haven't fallen (yet) due to increased pressing and slabbing doesn't mean they won't follow suit as supply inevitably increases.

In most cases today's prices are more a reflection of "not yet valuable enough to slab the 9.4s" rather than a true reflection of value.

Those who think the 9.2 - 9.4 prices are more stable than the 9.8 prices may be in for a rude awakening five years from now, esp. once the Disney Marvel movie hype has diminished.

Why would they?

Iron Man came out in 2008. Here we are in 2015 and the Marvel movies are bigger then ever!

I don`t see people getting tired of them, especially when they only make 2 or 3 of them a year.

I'm not sure the Super Bowl analogy really works here, at least not the way you think it does. The interest in this year's Super Bowl never diminishes, until it is over. How many folks care about last year's Super Bowl, or its merchandise? The event is all about hype, and for many it isn't even about the game itself. How many folks who couldn't care less about football tune in or go to parties? Is that what you'd like for comic films?

Bringing up the 2008 Iron Man is also interesting. I doubt very many folks would get that excited about that film anymore. How many TOS #39 sales do you reckon are being driven in 2015 off of that 2008 film? I'd wager that none are. If people are buying books it's because of the next film, not the past one. All of the interest in the comics is being driven by the hype of upcoming films, not the film itself (many of which aren't even due for what, five years in some cases). I love comics, and I'm tiring of the hype. I haven't even gotten around to seeing Winter Soldier yet; not because I don't want to see it, I do, but these films are becoming so ubiquitous lately that, for me at least, they aren't really that special any more. Iron Man and Spider-man were big deal, must see in the theater movies, but that effect is wearing off. Maybe because I'm in my 40s and getting crotchety, but I'm a comic fan who is pretty much over the hype. You don't think that'll happen to others?

This may be the first time in history something stays hot forever, but that's pretty unlikely.

I get the feeling that some old time comic book fans want these superhero movies to fail for some strange reason? hm

That`s my observation.

Just saying that comic book films were at their apex in 2014.

Two of the best (and highest-grossing) films of the year were 2nd or 3rd rate titles: Guardians of the Galaxy and Winter Soldier. Even Big Hero 6 came out of nowhere & did really well.

That put the Hollywood suits on notice that any comic property can be fair game, not just the A List of Spider-man / X-Men / Batman / Superman. Even moreso when Captain America smokes Spider-Man at the box office.

This won't last.

All it takes is two high-profile Green Lantern-style misses in a row for a whole slate of future comic movies to be scrapped. And "miss" is relative -- neither Green Lantern nor Superman Returns crashed, per se ($219 million and $391 million worldwide, respectively), they just under-performed against tentpole expectations.

It's like running a private equity fund that only returns a net of 10% in a year after fees -- a solid return, but not against the 18%+ expectation and benchmark for comps.

I haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy, but judging from the trailers, which I have seen, I'd say it may qualify as a parody of the genre (just like the comic was in all likelihood intended as a parody of super-hero comics). Kick- probably qualifies, too. As more parodies come along, superhero movies will lose their some of their coolness with the general public.The revisionist phase may keep the genre going strong for a while, but like other film genres such as gangster films and westerns, superhero movies will almost certainly fade at some point.

It wasn`t a parody, but probably the beginning of a new Star Wars type franchise.

It will probably last much longer then the original old school iconic characters because it seems new and fresh.

Think about this.

Well, here we are 25 plus years later, and superhero movies are stronger then ever.

And Batman and Robin came out in 1997 and killed the momentum of comic films for years. Which of these upcoming films might be this generation's Batman and Robin?

B

Why would they?

I get the feeling that some old time comic book fans want these superhero movies to fail for some strange reason? hm

That`s my observation.

Oh goodie, the "disagreement with my incredibly optimistic view means they're a hater" stance. I'll grant that that's easier than changing your view that "this time is different" that seems to be the mantra around here lately.

Think about this.

And Batman and Robin came out in 1997 and killed the momentum of comic films for a decade. Which of these upcoming films might be this generation's Batman and Robin?

facts, bah humbug!! Marvel has it figured out now- these are all masterpieces, this will NEVER happen again. oh, wait- IM2 sucked, IM3 sucked harder. to give them credit, they got it right in 2014: Cap WS and GOTG were both good.

Two of the best (and highest-grossing) films of the year were 2nd or 3rd rate titles: Guardians of the Galaxy and Winter Soldier. Even Big Hero 6 came out of nowhere & did really well.

That put the Hollywood suits on notice that any comic property can be fair game, not just the A List of Spider-man / X-Men / Batman / Superman. Even moreso when Captain America smokes Spider-Man at the box office.

This won't last.

All it takes is two high-profile Green Lantern-style misses in a row for a whole slate of future comic movies to be scrapped. And "miss" is relative -- neither Green Lantern nor Superman Returns crashed, per se ($219 million and $391 million worldwide, respectively), they just under-performed against tentpole expectations.

It's like running a private equity fund that only returns a net of 10% in a year after fees -- a solid return, but not against the 18%+ expectation and benchmark for comps.

Random thoughts.

Marvel is like Pixar now. They know what they are doing.

With Marvel only making 2 or 3 movies a year people won`t get tired of them.

GOTG came out in July with a 9 month wait until Avengers in May.

I just don`t see the Marvel movies fading in popularity.

That`s like telling me Disney will fade in popularity.

Won`t happen.

Also comparing westerns to superheroes is totally off.

Westerns were dead when I was a kid in the 80s.

I will give maybe that the non-Marvel movies could fade, but I don`t see it happening with Marvel made movies.

This won't last.

Random thoughts.

Won`t happen.

I will give maybe that the non-Marvel movies could fade, but I don`t see it happening with Marvel made movies.

A.K.A.: this time is different.

This won't last.

Random thoughts.

Won`t happen.

interesting because since Disney took over Pixar they've made mediocre (other than TS3)

This won't last.

Random thoughts.

Won`t happen.

interesting because since Disney took over Pixar they've made mediocre (other than TS3)

That doesn't change the fact that obviously every subsequent Marvel film will break the previous box office record until the sun freezes. Or something like that. Forever and ever. Amen.

B

Why would they?

That`s my observation.

Oh goodie, the "disagreement with my incredibly optimistic view means they're a hater" stance.

A lot of old time comic fans want these movies to fail.

Why?

Could be many reasons.

Anybody want to fill in the blank for the many reasons?

B

Why would they?

That`s my observation.

Oh goodie, the "disagreement with my incredibly optimistic view means they're a hater" stance.

Why?

Could be many reasons.

How is anything I said above "wanting them to fail"? How about you address that first?

This won't last.

Random thoughts.

Won`t happen.

That doesn't change the fact that obviously every subsequent Marvel film will break the previous box office record until the sun freezes. Or something like that. Forever and ever. Amen.

I can`t wait for the reaction of old-timers when Ant-Man does 240 million domestic in 2015.

They will still argue that Marvel movies are fading in popularity.

:)

This won't last.

Random thoughts.

Won`t happen.

I can`t wait for the reaction of old-timers when Ant-Man does 240 million domestic in 2015.

Because this time is different. Because it is Marvel. And comic book movies will be the most popular thing ever invented. Forever. Totally cycle-proof.

This won't last.

Random thoughts.

Won`t happen.

coming on the heels of Avengers which will do $600MM+, Aunt May & Uncle Ben: The Swinging Years would do $240MM.

how did this thread get so off topic anyway? anyone want to buy TOS #50 or TOS #97 at movie peak prices? IM #128 anyone? i'm sure you wouldn't mind shelling out $2k for a 9.8 of that one since the movies will NEVER fade in popularity.

B

Why would they?

That`s my observation.

Why?

Could be many reasons.

How is anything I said above "wanting them to fail"? How about you address that first?

It wasn`t aimed at you.

It just seems a lot of old timers don`t like the new rock star popularity their comic book heroes have now.

You don`t see and sense this?

It`s like they don`t want mainstream joining their private club.

Constantly if people keep knocking these movies and saying they suck and are stupid, then eventually they will be abandoned by mainstream because mainstream is going to believe them. Once something gets put out there negative it snowballs.

I don`t want that to happen.

GOTG and Captain America: The Winter Soldier were two of the most entertaining movies I saw in 2014.

I want to continue to see great movies like that.

I am kind of sick of people saying those kind of movies are a fad.

It`s getting old. 2c

There's a big difference between *wanting* the movies to fail and *thinking" they will, eventually. I love the comic book movies. And I love that the superhero comic book genre is white hot right now in Hollywood.

But this popularity can't last.

And as someone who's been collecting for 25+ years and has invested 10s of thousands of dollars in comic books, I'm acutely aware of how this current Hollywood bubble (particularly with Marvel Bronze books) may affect my long-term "investment" in those books. And long-term = 8-15 years from now, not 2-3.

Here's a thought,why don't you guys buy what you like.If it gains value all the better,if it doesn't at least you have something you like?

Why make comics so difficult? It really would take all the fun out of the hobby(for me),to worry about all the the movie hype,investment crazed nonsense.