• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paypal Question

19 posts in this topic

So I re-add my new CC (old one expired and they sent new one) only to find out that I have to let them charge a 1.95 in order to verify it and I have to wait a full billing cycle? What the [#@$%!!!] is that [#@$%!!!]?? Is there anyway to circumvent it? Thx

Brian

That is what I am about to do. They're calling it "expanded use" program or something of the sort. I've used Paypal a couple of times in the past month and it's nothing but a hastle anymore. This is definately going to result in me sending some hate mail Paypal's way. What a joke.

Brian

So I re-add my new CC (old one expired and they sent new one) only to find out that I have to let them charge a 1.95 in order to verify it and I have to wait a full billing cycle? What the [#@$%!!!] is that [#@$%!!!]?? Is there anyway to circumvent it? Thx

Brian

They credit the $1.95 back back to your account.

If you can check your charges online you should be able to get the numbers within 5 business days or less.

Thats how I did it!

I added new card and within 5 days I was up and running.

Or even call your credit card company in a fews days and ask then to read you the full description of the paypal charge!

Brian

They should credit that back to you Brian. I once had them charge me the $1.95 twice for verification, and had to call to have them reverse both of the charges. On a related note, In recent years, I've been using a checking/visa card and its worked great through TD Waterhouse. The way this card works is you are only able to spend what you have in your account, thus allowing you to have full control over any potential chargebacks through PayPal, or internet scams when you use the card for online purchases.

Me neither. I've been using them for four years, and I think it is a good service. There are fees that are slightly higher than a credit card, but I can get money from a stranger into my checking account in 3 days. I think that deserves a fee. The $1.95 is refunded on the cc enrollment.

In terms of fraud. You know what the number one form of fraudulent payment for online items (read Ebay) last year was:

Dramatic pause

Money orders and it wasn't even close. Personal checks were much more secure it turns out than money orders. With Paypal, using a credit card, you have two outlets for a possible refund. Primarily through your credit card company.

Yes I would be curious to hear how money orders are more of a problem than checks.

I too have never had any problems with PayPal (knock on wood).

I have heard that their customer service has gone downhill since ebay took over though (surprise, surprise)

I had my bank hold several big $$ M.O.'s and Bank Cashier's cheques for fear of fraud. Didn't think it happened, but obviously they have their security reasons. Didn't think it was that common but there you go...

So what's a good solution for limiting Money Order fraud?

Requiring Postal Money Orders only?

At least that way you certainly are setting up a Federal case if they fake it. Of course you still would be out the money if counterfeit.

I sold a motorcycle on Ebay for $6500 and received a cashiers check. I called the issuing bank, and they said yep its good.

The great thing about a cashier's check is that you can take it to the issuing bank and walk out the door with the money in your hand.

The big problem with dumping paypal is that, if you're a seller, lots of people will not buy from you if you don't take paypal. I would say 90% of my buyers pay me with paypal. Sometimes people don't have cash on hand and really want something, so having that credit card feature more than pays for itself.

I have not been ripped off yet by paypal or anyone using it, but the times people have tried, they have not succeeded because I took precautions:

1) I pay sellers I am not familiar with by credit card so I can reverse charges if they try to rip me off. This happened once; the guy took the money and ran, for a month no email returns, etc. I reversed charges and got my money back.

2) A guy reversed charges on me a while ago. Paypal asked me for signature confrimation, and I provided it to them. I did not lose a dime.

I have been careful AND lucky...so far... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif