• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

restoration question

35 posts in this topic

Hey guys I was wondering if you can safely remove color touch from a comic and make it a blue label?

a x-men #1 CGC 4.0 C1 small amount of color touch on cover

would it get a blue label? and what would happen to the grade after restoration removal?

I don't think you'll be able to remove just the resto then. You'll actually have to remove pieces of the book that have the marker.

I'm assuming the sharpie bleeds all the way thru the cover.

I don't think you'll be able to remove just the resto then. You'll actually have to remove pieces of the book that have the marker.

I'm assuming the sharpie bleeds all the way thru the cover.

aww man that's terrible

Silver sharpie can cover black sharpie and turn color touch into mark on cover

????? You'll have to explain this to me. I cannot picture what you are talking about.

That's a real interesting theory. I think the risk would be resubmitting and still getting the purple label but the grade drops even lower due to the additional marker. Maybe Kav could produce an example? It's intriguing.

????? You'll have to explain this to me. I cannot picture what you are talking about.

That's a real interesting theory. I think the risk would be resubmitting and still getting the purple label but the grade drops even lower due to the additional marker. Maybe Kav could produce an example? It's intriguing.

smame I never heard of something like this before :)

This is getting an headache!

Hey guys I was wondering if you can safely remove color touch from a comic and make it a blue label?

If this were true, there would not be any Purple Labels with CT. Also, it depends on your definiton of 'safely' remove. In most cases it's scraped off. Personally, I hate the look of a book with CT scraped off. Unless it's a tiny spot, it's pretty obvious and not pretty. If there is bleed through, the scraping turns into cutting. Unfortunately, CGC notes rarely tell you the precise amount or location of the CT.

Not sure why Kav hasn't replied to this, but let me offer two scenarios that I believe he's alluding to. Using an example of a comic with a black cover, the book either has a small CBC or very slight tape pull filled in with black Sharpie. Either a signature is added over the CT in silver obscuring the CT(assuming no visible bleed through), or if CT is small enough, the silver just appears as a random mark on the book, not unlike a stray mark or number scrawled on a cover in any other type ink.

I'm not sure if a 1/16" CT in black sharpie is still visible beneath larger CT in silver w/o any bleed through.

Not sure why Kav hasn't replied to this, but let me offer two scenarios that I believe he's alluding to. Using an example of a comic with a black cover, the book either has a small CBC or very slight tape pull filled in with black Sharpie. Either a signature is added over the CT in silver obscuring the CT(assuming no visible bleed through), or if CT is small enough, the silver just appears as a random mark on the book, not unlike a stray mark or number scrawled on a cover in any other type ink.

I'm not sure if a 1/16" CT in black sharpie is still visible beneath larger CT in silver w/o any bleed through.

So the goal is to 'change' the CT from intentional resto to a random stray mark. I would think this would only work if there was one isolated spot. If there were numerous spots of CT, I would think the markings would no longer be perceived as random.

Nice comic. :tonofbricks:

The silver sharpie will cover the black sharpie. if there's bleed through, it would be possible to deduce what happened. No bleed through, and it would be impossible to tell that they weren't just a series of random silver sharpie marks. Also, I'm not sure what the policy is-if black ct has been covered with silver, there is no longer any 'resto', so I can't see how it would be graded as 'resto'.

Ps I dont understand why ANYONE uses sharpie for CT when there are plenty of permanent black markers that do not bleed through.

I'm going to experiment to see if silver sharpie can soak through and cover over black sharpie bleed through.