• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

REMEMBERING THAT FIRST LCS...
3 3

361 posts in this topic

On 10/26/2021 at 10:17 AM, MattTheDuck said:

It was clear on the other side of town, two busses and a transfer downtown, a total of about an hour.  I had a friend up the street who also liked comics so we ventured over there

The old days that I miss, which will probably never happen again. I tell my children these types of adventures, and the one's you see on "The Sandlot" were always priceless.

On 10/26/2021 at 10:29 AM, graffix13 said:

The owner also had a good collection of old Playboys in the back. And as I got older, those would garner more quick glances from me than the comic books. IIRC, there was a makeshift sign saying you had to be 18 or older to look though the issues, but we would sneak peaks whenever the owner wasn't looking.

Same for me, my PBs were above the ice cream section at the corner liquor store, I would always sneak a peak and act like I was buying ice cream lol

On 10/26/2021 at 12:43 PM, Crimebuster said:

Anyone from Worcester, MA remember the comic / sci-fi bookstore on South Main Street just before you got to Webster Square? I've been trying to remember the name of that place but it escapes me. I got a lot of great books there, even though the owners were classic Comic Book Guys. 

Assuming you aren't talking about That's Entertainment? I remember buying from a store in that area a couple times back in the mid to late 80's but can't remember the name.

On 10/26/2021 at 3:40 PM, universal soldier said:

:cloud9: the original LCS

44aba2fdaf0e41ab329b84a3669e8649.jpg.d5722e9ecc4701d0d606fd1726824e26.jpg

Lots of mentions of the Million Year Picnic and the original Newbury comics. Frequented both back in mid 70's to early 80's. Million Year Picnic is still around but haven't been there since probably 1980 or so. I remember trying to convince my dad that he should buy me the ASM#1 on the wall for $200 (no clue on the grade).

I still have this purchase from there circa 1977 for $2.75.

ASM129_cgc.jpg.29b3c55003750ef34786c4456f4368dd.jpg

Man, NOTHING like those old spinner racks. Before pull lists, the covers (at least for me) would determine what I was collecting that week. If the issue hooked me, then I was collecting it for awhile. Yes, the copies were usually beat to hell, but we didn't care. 

My first was a mom and pop book store  Fischers Books in Riverdale, GA. It was the first place I went to that had sections of comics, the smell of that place was very overwhelming and you could smell it about 30 yards from the door. When I smell that nowadays it takes me right back to walking through those doors the first time and seeing stacks and stacks of comics.

Titan Games and Comics was just north and became my go to, but Fischers was like a whole new world opening up for me and when Titan comics was growing you sometimes would miss out on certain books and run down to Fischers to get them. Also as a kid they had books on the shelf you had never seen before and probably should not see at such an age, this was way before you must be 18 to enter rooms I guess. To that point I knew every gas station that had comics either on racks or in the magazine stand and would always try to influence which ones my parents would stop at for gas.

fischers-books-coupon-825x510.jpg

Edited by PKJ

Ski’s in Athens, Ohio. Great guy.  His store had tons of long boxes I would dig through for hours, searching for the hot back issues I read about in that month’s Wizard.  He was always interested in talking about older comics and was welcoming to kids like me who had to pay with pocket change.

Powell’s Books - Portland, OR - late 1975, maybe early 1976? Memory is fading.

I was riding with my Grandma to go to Fred Meyers, and I saw the book store with a sign that said comics. I asked my Grandma if we could stop and she said okay. 

My first time seeing back issues! 🤯

I was excited! I was overwhelmed! And forever hooked!

They had each title separated in their own boxes on shelves behind the counter. You had to tell them which box you wanted to go though, and they would pull the box down for you. One at a time.

I remember the guy behind the counter was trying to quickly teach me, an exuberant 8 year old, how to properly hold the books without damaging them. At first I had no clue what he was talking about, nor why it mattered.

I was there about an hour. My Grandma was pretty patient with me - she went browsing through the book section - even bought a few paperback western novels for my Grandpa. She finally said it was time to go. I ended up with about 40 comics.

I remember the first thing I noticed when I walked in the shop was there was an ASM 6 & FF 12 hanging over the entry way into the used book section. Grandma bought me the ASM 6 that day 😁

I never got that copy of the FF12. It became a landmark of sorts to me. Sort of like seeing a familiar face when you walk through the door. I remember over the years it was always still displayed there whenever I went, and actually noticed the color fade over time.

I ended up getting my copy of FF12 at Armchair Books.

I don’t think any of the comic shops I used to go to in Portland are still open 🥺

Edited by djpinkpanther67

On 10/27/2021 at 12:30 PM, kazoo said:

I was 7 years old in 1973, when my older brother David (then 10) and I became interested in the Marvel comics line.  Prior to that we did have some random Gold Key/Disney type comics, which were bought for us by our parents to keep us occupied on long trips.  But my brother, who was reading about Mythology, started buying a few issues of Thor, the Avengers and Captain Marvel from the local 7-11 spinner racks (in Hampton VA, where we grew up).  I was at first attracted to the DC/Superman line, since my then-favorites were Supes and the Flash.  But the lure of "cool" Marvels soon grabbed me too, and I was joining my brother at the 7-11 where I started buying Spider-Man, Avengers, Defenders, Captain America and other Marvels.

I noticed that there were also spinner racks at some of the bookstores at the local mall, and the "Book 'n' Card" store even put out their issues weeks ahead of the 7-11!   My brother's interest waned but I became more obsessed and haunted all the racks where I might find a wayward issue -- in those days, for you youngsters, distribution was spotty and the local rack might only hold a few copies of the latest issue which would sell quickly, so you really needed to constantly check to be sure you didn't miss anything.

I believe it was sometime in '73 that I went with my Dad to "Paul's Coin Shop", then in Greenwood Shopping Center (a tiny strip of stores, including a barber shop and High's Ice Cream I think).  Paul's had not only old coins but an assortment of flea market type stuff, and what blew my mind were several tall stacks of old comics.  If I remember right they were 10¢ each (cover price of a new comic at the time was 20¢).  Being 7, I had not much to spend, but found a (for me) fascinating old comic called "Not Brand Ecch" #7, with its parodies of Superman and the Fantastic Four.  I later found a really beat up copy of FF #54, which just happened to feature the "Evil Eye" which I had just read about in the Avengers/Defenders war going on at the time, another lucky find for a little kid.

So Paul's was really the first place I found old comics for sale.  I later discovered Bender's and across the river Zeno's, as well as a little store at an antique mall called Etc., and began buying via mail order catalogs/CBG ads, which went on for decades until the internet took over.

Wassup, Homey ? I bet you remember when Bender's was on Mellen instead of Mallory. My pal Rich got his first ASM 1 at Paul's for 5 cents. This was always a good place to grow up as a comic collector. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

These are a few years old, but the spirit of the place is timeless. Dave's still there.

YAiVqWF.jpg

aubsoft.jpg

C6TgNEh.jpg

J8L8foN.jpg

5fxzIHg.jpg

j1v2Wpr.jpg

wLSmBD3.jpg

On 1/12/2022 at 11:19 AM, jimjum12 said:

Wassup, Homey ? I bet you remember when Bender's was on Mellen instead of Mallory. My pal Rich got his first ASM 1 at Paul's for 5 cents. This was always a good place to grow up as a comic collector. GOD BLESS...

These are a few years old, but the spirit of the place is timeless. Dave's still there.

YAiVqWF.jpg

aubsoft.jpg

C6TgNEh.jpg

J8L8foN.jpg

5fxzIHg.jpg

j1v2Wpr.jpg

wLSmBD3.jpg

Love the pics JimJum, nice to hear from another Tidewaterian .... I do remember when Bender's was on Mellen, I love the little downtown Phoebus area with the quirky stores and pawn shops, haven't been in a few years.  Dave Weaver is a super nice guy and fun to talk comics with.  Amazing that you also remember Paul's, his original "coin shop" remains a warm memory from my past.  Such much in the world has changed, but its great that Bender's still exists in much of its original form and spirit!

On 1/12/2022 at 1:59 PM, kazoo said:

Love the pics JimJum, nice to hear from another Tidewaterian .... I do remember when Bender's was on Mellen, I love the little downtown Phoebus area with the quirky stores and pawn shops, haven't been in a few years.  Dave Weaver is a super nice guy and fun to talk comics with.  Amazing that you also remember Paul's, his original "coin shop" remains a warm memory from my past.  Such much in the world has changed, but its great that Bender's still exists in much of its original form and spirit!

Fertitta's was gone, but may have reincarnated. Fuller's is now a raw bar. There's a lot of avant-garde restaurants and nightspots there now. Dave still has a couple of "comic cats " lounging about. Mama Rosa's has new owners, but didn't skip a beat... fantastic food. GOD BLESS...

YJ94eyP.jpg

qkyZ5HV.jpg

gqg7GuJ.jpg

On 1/12/2022 at 1:18 PM, jimjum12 said:

Fertitta's was gone, but may have reincarnated. Fuller's is now a raw bar. There's a lot of avant-garde restaurants and nightspots there now. Dave still has a couple of "comic cats " lounging about. Mama Rosa's has new owners, but didn't skip a beat... fantastic food. GOD BLESS...

@kazoo

Phoebus is not the same as it was, I don't believe Fertitta's (the reincarnated) is still around, I will have to ask my dad.  Is Mama Rosa's back open?  I thought it had shut down due to COVID.  Last time I went into Bender's it was not like I remember in the 90s, so many years of shop cats on everything doing what they want have made that shop smell like a giant litterbox. (that is just my opinion)

I grew up off Mercury Blvd semi-near the Coliseum in the 80s when it still had access lanes, HATED those.  I didn't frequent Bender's but I did get comics from Atomic Comics Emporium (A.C.E.) that was originally on Mercury Blvd down near King St in a shopping center with Ames, they were right next to a Pizza place, this is important to my memory as the only reason I was able to go into the comic shop was because my dad was trying to drum up new paper business at the pizza place, he literally sold toilet paper (practically everybody needs it!).  It also had a High's Ice Cream right near it, my favorite of those was closer to Aberdeen Rd though.  A.C.E. is still around, they are now across the street from where they were originally have had up to 3 locations, now down to 2.  The owner and his wife are still around but they have passed to reigns down to their kids.

Every time I am in town I go back into A.C.E. and have lucked into running into the owner's son each time.  He remembers me by name, just like his parents did, and we talk about what is going on in each other's lives and comics.  They are also great at getting some stellar books into people's collections.

Here is one of the earliest comics I remember buying at A.C.E. while my dad did his sales thing next door.

668835745_InfinityGauntlet.thumb.jpg.8b2ae65c16d92d2af8e5e4c88af12d9d.jpg

**Land of the 757 (originally 804) 4tw!**

Edited by Crops068
Added a comment at the end

On 1/13/2022 at 3:12 AM, Crops068 said:

@kazoo

Phoebus is not the same as it was, I don't believe Fertitta's (the reincarnated) is still around, I will have to ask my dad.  Is Mama Rosa's back open?  I thought it had shut down due to COVID.  Last time I went into Bender's it was not like I remember in the 90s, so many years of shop cats on everything doing what they want have made that shop smell like a giant litterbox. (that is just my opinion)

I grew up off Mercury Blvd semi-near the Coliseum in the 80s when it still had access lanes, HATED those.  I didn't frequent Bender's but I did get comics from Atomic Comics Emporium (A.C.E.) that was originally on Mercury Blvd down near King St in a shopping center with Ames, they were right next to a Pizza place, this is important to my memory as the only reason I was able to go into the comic shop was because my dad was trying to drum up new paper business at the pizza place, he literally sold toilet paper (practically everybody needs it!).  It also had a High's Ice Cream right near it, my favorite of those was closer to Aberdeen Rd though.  A.C.E. is still around, they are now across the street from where they were originally have had up to 3 locations, now down to 2.  The owner and his wife are still around but they have passed to reigns down to their kids.

Every time I am in town I go back into A.C.E. and have lucked into running into the owner's son each time.  He remembers me by name, just like his parents did, and we talk about what is going on in each other's lives and comics.  They are also great at getting some stellar books into people's collections.

Here is one of the earliest comics I remember buying at A.C.E. while my dad did his sales thing next door.

668835745_InfinityGauntlet.thumb.jpg.8b2ae65c16d92d2af8e5e4c88af12d9d.jpg

**Land of the 757 (originally 804) 4tw!**

Scott and Amber are the names of the owner's kids at Atomic Comics. I probably visit them once a week or so. One of the best shops around (they have two). It's been a year or so since I ate at Mama Rosa's, as I live 45 minutes away. It is indeed open until 10:30 p.m. Sorry you don't like Bender's. I've been friends with Dave for 40 years, some of my best comic memories are there. Also Trilogy and Comic Kings (Joey is a member here). GOD BLESS...