• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC combo packs.. variants?

176 posts in this topic

BTW, I am TOTALLY not taking these out of their bags,, Again, just my own collectible preference

Don't know if the bags really matter. Might as well keep them for now but will it matter when others get them graded

In the long run, they will matter if these books pick up a larger collecting base. They will be much harder to find than the opened ones.

Good point. I am just thinking the condition of the book will be more valuable than the plastic it's wrapped in.

So I've been picking up the Batman combos since issue 29, and filling in the rest trying to complete the run. Some of the earlier issues I've received from eBay have come "sealed" in bags that were already crumbling. Has anyone else had a problem with disintegrating bags?

That's what led me to unbag all my others, btw.

BTW, I am TOTALLY not taking these out of their bags,, Again, just my own collectible preference

Don't know if the bags really matter. Might as well keep them for now but will it matter when others get them graded

In the long run, they will matter if these books pick up a larger collecting base. They will be much harder to find than the opened ones.

Good point. I am just thinking the condition of the book will be more valuable than the plastic it's wrapped in.

I have 3-packs from the 60's that are still sealed in the original bag. Condition is wonderful.

I have also opened some sealed 3-packs from the 60's there were not worth much ( king comics ) Pages still white, newsstand fresh, vibrant colors.

Plenty of sealed Spider-man # 1s and X-force 1's out there which are 25 years old now. Seem to be holding up fine.

So I've been picking up the Batman combos since issue 29, and filling in the rest trying to complete the run. Some of the earlier issues I've received from eBay have come "sealed" in bags that were already crumbling. Has anyone else had a problem with disintegrating bags?

That's what led me to unbag all my others, btw.

I have not noticed on the ones I own. It is possible that they used a highly degradable bag for them, I sort of doubt it however.

I've been doing some digging on Comichron for the print run ( total sales ) information on these books.

What I have noticed is they are not listing most of the combo packs at all. Typically after the top 300 comics by sales they start skipping numbers. I don't know why this is.

Just an example for Batman:

2013 No listings for Batman Combo packs on Comichron.

January 2014 : Batman 27 Combo pack 1,903

February 2014: Batman 28 Combo pack 1,802

March 2014 : No listing. Zombie Tramp Vol. 2 #3 listed at the bottom with 940

April 2014: No listing. ArchieDDD # 250 listed last with 1282

March 2014: Batman 31 Combo Pack 1,671

Then nothing else to date.

Something very telling about the missing information is this:

March 2012 Justice league # 7 Combo pack 4,739

March 2012 Batman # 7 combo pack 3,689

Then

April 2012 Justice League # 8 Combo pack 4,249

April 2012 Batman # 8 Combo Pack No listing. lowest book listed at 1,300 There is no way batman dropped off 2,300+ copies in a single month.

Something isn't right. There is missing, or omitted data on comichron for these combo packs. Either left off intentionally to shorten the list, or combined with their main titles the months they are missing. I am leaning towards being combined with the regular issues. Why? I have no idea, maybe its how Diamond reported the sales. Maybe they left it off the list to keep in manageable.

I've been doing some digging on Comichron for the print run ( total sales ) information on these books.

What I have noticed is they are not listing most of the combo packs at all. Typically after the top 300 comics by sales they start skipping numbers. I don't know why this is.

Then

April 2012 Batman # 8 Combo Pack No listing. lowest book listed at 1,300 There is no way batman dropped off 2,300+ copies in a single month.

Something isn't right. There is missing, or omitted data on comichron for these combo packs. Either left off intentionally to shorten the list, or combined with their main titles the months they are missing. I am leaning towards being combined with the regular issues. Why? I have no idea, maybe its how Diamond reported the sales. Maybe they left it off the list to keep in manageable.

If there were only 1671 combo packs for Batman 31, what was the total print run for that issue?

Then

If there were only 1671 combo packs for Batman 31, what was the total print run for that issue?

107,499 for batman 31

That puts the combo pack at a 1:65 ratio or 1.4 % of the regular issue. if the 1671 print run is correct.

The real question is this. If the ratio is similar or lower for all combo packs... How many Green lantern 31 combo packs were made?

Green lantern # 31 regular issue 43,769

Assuming a near 1:65 ratio there would be 673 copies of Green lantern 31 combo pack printed/sold. That number is extremely tiny for a mainstream DC book. Estimate at least half were open and read that leaves 375 unopened combo packs at best. Given the way these books were packed and handled. How many NM or better copies could there be?

If these ever picks up mainstream attention I believe the hardest to find books will be the winners. Just like the 30 and 35 cent variants of the past. Mainstream books, while still expensive have enough copies to fill demand, lowering the price. Weird world tales 30 cents? Western 30 and 35 cent variants? These command heavy premiums only because they are much more rare.

Then

107,499 for batman 31

That puts the combo pack at a 1:65 ratio or 1.4 % of the regular issue. if the 1671 print run is correct.

The real question is this. If the ratio is similar or lower for all combo packs... How many Green lantern 31 combo packs were made?

Assuming a near 1:65 ratio there would be 673 copies of Green lantern 31 combo pack printed/sold. That number is extremely tiny for a mainstream DC book. Estimate at least half were open and read that leaves 375 unopened combo packs at best. Given the way these books were packed and handled. How many NM or better copies could there be?

Is there a comprehensive list of combo packs? Sorry if I missed it

Is there a comprehensive list of combo packs? Sorry if I missed it

Not that I know of, it shouldn't be too hard to compile, they are just sporadic.

Consider a book like superman. They didn't make combo packs for that series until John Romita Jr. started doing the art. It's obvious they are paying attention to sales and only make the combo packs if they are worthwhile. Wonder Woman new 52 series has not had any combo packs at all.

Some series stopped making packs in the middle of the run too.

That may be true but I also think the demand for Batman and Superman will be huge relative to the lower tier characters. 2c

I really wasn't talking about demand. Saying there will be more demand for Batman and Superman over all other DC characters is obvious.

What Im saying is, if there are combo pack completests, the higher print run books will pop up for sale still. Some of the lower print books will disappear and not pop up.

Ask anyone that collects Marvel 35 cent variants. Which is more coveted Amazing Spiderman or Kid Colt ?

More people might want Amazing Spiderman, but there were more copies printed too. Those books were collected more as well, saved and taken care of. The Low print run books were typically purchased by readers , not for investment, so they are much harder to find not only because of the print run, but because they were not collected and saved.

Then

107,499 for batman 31

For Batman 31, there was a regular cover and a 1:25 variant.

So that would mean that the combo pack 1:65 variant would be the rarest of them all!

Well, I am a variant guy, and I bought most of these combo packs, but I just don't see them taking off. Maybe 10 years will prove me wrong.

Replace the words 'combo packs' with X-Force and you can see anything can happen!

Well, I am a variant guy, and I bought most of these combo packs, but I just don't see them taking off. Maybe 10 years will prove me wrong.

Low risk, high reward potential, compared to the exorbitant price asked for most variants. :gossip:

Wow. Sooooo THIS. An uninflated variant, which is mostly on the 1:50+ print run.

You just cant beat that

IMG_37181_zps548c4892.jpg

just got these two, submitting two more tomorrow... and cleaned out MCS of a rare potentially sought after one at cover...