• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Spider-Gwen #1 a sign of the bubble reaching its peak?

178 posts in this topic

Looking at the thread title makes me ask myself what is there about this book that is different from any other hot-right-now release in the past 6 - 12 months or even going forward? I got zip... (shrug)

Looks like people will buy plenty early making a little scarcity, flip plenty early and hope to catch the peak... then perhaps some will hold for too long and it's likely we will also see several lots of 5 or 10 being sold off at a time. Eventually interest will die down and drop off and it will be another top heavy release with #1 being the most common one you can get and plenty of variants to choose from. If it turns out that people like the book and it makes it past say 15 issues then I would guess that it will have already peaked by that time anyway, so it simply won't correct as hard.

There's no point in starting any... "Yeah but what if " ... because I'm not hating on a title that has only just been released. How dumb would that be? I'm just thinking (out loud) that there's no special or particular kind of insight into any bubble to be gained because it's the same as everything else when you strip back the passion for reading and collecting. Even the Phantom variants are all safe and samey with their somewhat regular homage style covers (doesn't mean they can't be amusing or eye catching at times).

No matter how I slice it when I look at a spider-verse or bat-family spin off they don't make me think of a bubble. Maybe someone is reading a bit too much into the fact that these will already have a pretty large built in fan base to help fuel things. Hype? Yes! Bubble? No.

Looking at the thread title makes me ask myself what is there about this book that is different from any other hot-right-now release in the past 6 - 12 months or even going forward? I got zip... (shrug)

Looks like people will buy plenty early making a little scarcity, flip plenty early and hope to catch the peak... then perhaps some will hold for too long and it's likely we will also see several lots of 5 or 10 being sold off at a time. Eventually interest will die down and drop off and it will be another top heavy release with #1 being the most common one you can get and plenty of variants to choose from. If it turns out that people like the book and it makes it past say 15 issues then I would guess that it will have already peaked by that time anyway, so it simply won't correct as hard.

There's no point in starting any... "Yeah but what if " ... because I'm not hating on a title that has only just been released. How dumb would that be? I'm just thinking (out loud) that there's no special or particular kind of insight into any bubble to be gained because it's the same as everything else when you strip back the passion for reading and collecting. Even the Phantom variants are all safe and samey with their somewhat regular homage style covers (doesn't mean they can't be amusing or eye catching at times).

No matter how I slice it when I look at a spider-verse or bat-family spin off they don't make me think of a bubble. Maybe someone is reading a bit too much into the fact that these will already have a pretty large built in fan base to help fuel things. Hype? Yes! Bubble? No.

As someone else stated in another thread, most if not all of the Modern (and Copper) Ages are most likely in "bubbles".

First rule of a bubble market is to say there is no bubble.

The OP'S original question is well taken, and I think this "spider-gwen" thing (a wholly un-original concept being highly touted by just a handful of boardies in multiple threads) and the star wars 1 hot topic mess have the potential to be a negative tipping point when it comes to two evidently essential components of the modern market.... front loading a #1 release, and multiple overkill amounts of unnecessary variant covers.

Yup. Kind of sounds like the '90's after all. And we all know how that turned out.

-J.

The short answer is that Spider Gwen is a money making machine. Literally.. Theres a printer out there now thats printing 5/10/20/50 dollar bills with spider gwen's face on it... And that printer is not running out of ink ANYTIME SOON

There's a reason why it happened to her and not to, say, Squirrel Girl.

Love her or hate her, she's in the forefront now. Thats it. Thats all you need to know.

And Bucky should be dead!

And the Green Goblin!

And this Image is full of upstarts that think art is more important than the story!

And we didn't need fire growing up!

We just chased dinosaurs away with our wooden spears tipped with stone heads of death!

Stuff evolves.

If you don't like it, don't read it. Simple as that.

No one sits Gwen in the corner. No one.

Seriously though.. Why bubble?

Superman 75 was a bubble because it was a hoax

X-Men #1 was a bubble because it was massively overprinted.

Spider-Gwen is the exact opposite of these 2.. Its an on going series based on a hit story.. and its print run is based on pre-orders.. Marvel is doing it right this time.

If the character slowly looses interest within current demographics (yeah right) then it will end, just like anything else in life.. That's not "bubble" thats just popularity for ya

:grin: no I don't think I am.

But this is kinda a real question. I have one set of spider verse 1-5 I guess .. I bought for $20. I think you pointed me to eBay on it and I thank you.

But I really am curious. Is this the Gwen in miles morals universe that met Peter Parker in spider-men??

But this is kinda a real question. I have one set of spider verse 1-5 I guess .. I bought for $20. I think you pointed me to eBay on it and I thank you.

But I really am curious. Is this the Gwen in miles morals universe that met Peter Parker in spider-men??

:applause: and :o you just bought one? Hold on to that set brother, you got a sweetheart of a deal

I honestly had hard time reading this story, it was waayy too soap operaish for me.. God bless these kids nowadays, they really love alot of Drama in their stories today..

And Bucky should be dead!

And the Green Goblin!

And this Image is full of upstarts that think art is more important than the story!

And we didn't need fire growing up!

We just chased dinosaurs away with our wooden spears tipped with stone heads of death!

Stuff evolves.

If you don't like it, don't read it. Simple as that.

No one sits Gwen in the corner. No one.

I do agree with what I think is at the heart of your comment. Ironically, too little meaningful change is why I rarely read anything by the Big Two anymore, however... bear with me as I try to explain this seemingly contradictory viewpoint that I hold.

To me, a living breathing Gwen Stacy is equivalent to you telling me that Bruce Wayne's parents are alive and well. What is the point of a character that exists in a sequential, shared world if some core part of that character can not be counted on to always be recognizable? The only worse thing they could have done, in my opinion, is to remove Peter's sense of responsibility for the death of his Uncle Ben.

So... sure, bring on the meaningful change, but of course there are areas that should be off limits with regards to the bigger picture. If you're talking about a story arc that is 'here and gone' and may well have never happened (the 'What If' nature of all of this that Spider Gwen smacks of to so many) then it probably doesn't matter, but if that is the sort of story they're really trying to tell here, then they may be going about it in a disingenuous way.

There are plenty of "Elseworlds" title where the Waynes are alive.

They did not bring back the Gwen that people grew up with, and watched her death shape Peter Parker.

Her name is Gwen Stacy, but she is NOT that Gwen Stacy.

The Peter Parker in her universe is dead.

You have to separate the two.

Different Gwen.

She is not from the regular 616 universe, or the Ultimate Universe, where Miles Morales is from.

Different Gwen.

She is not from the regular 616 universe, or the Ultimate Universe, where Miles Morales is from.

(thumbs u thanks. Didn't know this.

There are plenty of "Elseworlds" title where the Waynes are alive.

They did not bring back the Gwen that people grew up with, and watched her death shape Peter Parker.

Her name is Gwen Stacy, but she is NOT that Gwen Stacy.

The Peter Parker in her universe is dead.

You have to separate the two.

I'll probably never get on bored with that sort of stuff. I don't understand comic book readers who don't care (care much?) about continuity. I'm not sure what the point of this medium is without it, but I know that people find different forms of enjoyment in the same thing.

Anyway, I do know it isn't the 'same one', but if it actually becomes popular, I wouldn't be surprised if it were just a matter of time until it somehow was.

I'm glad people are enjoying it, but I can't get over my feeling that it is extraordinarily lazy and "wrong."