• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Spider-Gwen #1 a sign of the bubble reaching its peak?

178 posts in this topic

Fair enough.

I get it.

I do,

I was "mad" about the whole Bucky thing until I actually read the story, and realized it was terrific.

And that was THE Bucky.

This is just an offshoot, alternate universe, Gwen.

I mean its not like they made it to where Norman Osborn had relations with her and she bore his children.

Oh wait. They actually did that?!?!?!!

Fair enough.

I get it.

I do,

I was "mad" about the whole Bucky thing until I actually read the story, and realized it was terrific.

And that was THE Bucky.

I mean its not like they made it to where Norman Osborn had relations with her and she bore his children.

This infuriates me every time I think about it. When I read that storyline for the first time I felt like they spit on everything I loved about Spider-Man comics and Gwen in particular. And for what? They sold a few issues for one month? Im sure to them it was worth it.

Fair enough.

I get it.

I do,

And that was THE Bucky.

Maybe I'd feel differently if Brubaker was doing it, he can do little wrong in my book.... but it would still sure give me pause! Part of how I feel is probably due to how manufactured this entire thing feels, who knows.

Anyway, I've enjoyed the discussion so at least I have some positive associations with Spider-Gwen :P

Fair enough.

I get it.

I do,

And that was THE Bucky.

This infuriates me every time I think about it. When I read that storyline for the first time I felt like they spit on everything I loved about Spider-Man comics and Gwen in particular. And for what? They sold a few issues for one month? Im sure to them it was worth it.

Oh, I know...

Probably the worst storyline I've ever read.

Fair enough.

I get it.

I do,

And that was THE Bucky.

I think this is sugar coating it a little. Name the character "Fiona Wondwertits" and no one cares.

Name the character "Gwen Stacy" and you needlessly jack up decades of cannon just to sell a few books.

That's called "selling out". And I think that's the crux of most people's innate aversion to this "character".

The fact that marvel has jacked up other characters does not minimize them jacking up this character. The Gwen Stacy death story line hit a nerve and it shaped the number 3 character in the hobby for years. Decades of cannon now gone just to sell a cheap high concept to the sheeple. Ugh.

-J.

Why is it gone? (decades of canon)

Did Spider-man's canon get ruined when they released Ultimate Spider-man?

Of course not. People are intelligent enough to know the difference between the two separate entities of Peter Parker.

I regard your opinion in high regard, but I think you are overreacting about a Gwen from an alternate universe.

But maybe you are an uber big fan of Spider-man, and you are overly sensitive about this stuff.

I can understand if so. And maybe I am over simplifying the whole Gwen thing. But I really don't see why the introduction of her as a brand new person from a parallel world ruins anything.

Fair enough.

I get it.

I do,

And that was THE Bucky.

I think this is sugar coating it a little. Name the character "Fiona Wondwertits" and no one cares.

Name the character "Gwen Stacy" and you needlessly jack up decades of cannon just to sell a few books.

That's called "selling out". And I think that's the crux of most people's innate aversion to this "character".

The fact that marvel has jacked up other characters does not minimize them jacking up this character. The Gwen Stacy death story line hit a nerve and it shaped the number 3 character in the hobby for years. Decades of cannon now gone just to sell a cheap high concept to the sheeple. Ugh.

-J.

But the canon isn't gone (shrug) It's an alternative universe, just like all the other "What if" style series. If you don't like any of the alternative stories, I guess I understand your disgust, but I don't understand how this is any different other than all the attention it's getting.

Fair enough.

I get it.

I do,

And that was THE Bucky.

-J.

But the canon isn't gone (shrug) It's an alternative universe, just like all the other "What if" style series. If you don't like any of the alternative stories, I guess I understand your disgust, but I don't understand how this is any different other than all the attention it's getting.

I agree 100%.

It isn't the same character. They did not bring her back from the dead. She isn't THE Gwen Peter from 616 knew, and saw die in his arms.

Why is it gone? (decades of canon)

Did Spider-man's canon get ruined when they released Ultimate Spider-man?

Of course not. People are intelligent enough to know the difference between the two separate entities of Peter Parker.

I regard your opinion in high regard, but I think you are overreacting about a Gwen from an alternate universe.

But maybe you are an uber big fan of Spider-man, and you are overly sensitive about this stuff.

I can understand if so. And maybe I am over simplifying the whole Gwen thing. But I really don't see why the introduction of her as a brand new person from a parallel world ruins anything.

lol Yes I am a big time Spider-Fan, and no I don't think this stuff should necessarily be treated as biblical sacrament. And of course there's nothing wrong with a good "what if?" story, and that was obviously marvel's intent until the dollar signs started flowing. Now I'm not sure how they don't continue trying to milk the cow for as long as they can, and that (may) involve bringing the character "back to life" in the main universe. And again there just isn't any "reason" for this character to be called "Gwen Stacy" other than to cash in on a dead girl's memory (yes I am well aware she is not "real", yet it still seems oddly exploitative lol ).

The best similarly awkward analogy I can think of would be for Sony to now cast Emma stone as "spider-gwen" in a spin off movie, even though they just made a big deal out of killing her. Other than saying "well none of that actually counted, this is a different Gwen Stacy", how could they possibly justify such an abuse of artistic license without turning off even the non-comic nerd movie buying public ? Just a hypothetical question.

-J.

I'm all about honoring continuity. But at the same time it's been over 40 years since Gwen Stacy died. The new movies came out and this generation of readers and watchers had no Gwen Stacy in the books at all. If anything I think that Marvel is doing something great to service both sets of fans. They have honored continuity by not bringing back the original Gwen and taking away all meaning of her death. But by introducing Spider Gwen they are giving many fans what they want ny actually having her in a book. Marvel wasn't even looking to make this an ongoing series, it was the overwhelming response from the fan base online that convinced them to make an ongoing.

Variant wise, I am worried that a bubble is starting, but at the same time comics are more mainstream now than they ever were in the 90's. I think that the audience is here to stay and may only continue to grow. This is good for the future of comics and the speculators when all of those new readers come around looking for those hard to find covers.

Fair enough.

I get it.

I do,

And that was THE Bucky.

Yeah JMS opened up a big can of worms there. Being that I wasn't a 70s spider fan I didn't understand it then, but man the hate really came out on that.

I'm all about honoring continuity. But at the same time it's been over 40 years since Gwen Stacy died. The new movies came out and this generation of readers and watchers had no Gwen Stacy in the books at all. If anything I think that Marvel is doing something great to service both sets of fans. They have honored continuity by not bringing back the original Gwen and taking away all meaning of her death. But by introducing Spider Gwen they are giving many fans what they want ny actually having her in a book. Marvel wasn't even looking to make this an ongoing series, it was the overwhelming response from the fan base online that convinced them to make an ongoing.

Variant wise, I am worried that a bubble is starting, but at the same time comics are more mainstream now than they ever were in the 90's. I think that the audience is here to stay and may only continue to grow. This is good for the future of comics and the speculators when all of those new readers come around looking for those hard to find covers.

That is a positive way to view it, but I see it as trying to have their cake and eat it too. And like I'd referenced earlier... if the cake is really good, they'll want to have it every day. In other words, this 'other' Gwen will somehow show up in normal continuity if enough people buy the books.

I know it sounds like a slippery slope argument, but come on, this is comics.

That is a positive way to view it, but I see it as trying to have their cake and eat it too. And like I'd referenced earlier... if the cake is really good, they'll want to have it every day. In other words, this 'other' Gwen will somehow show up in normal continuity if enough people buy the books.

I know it sounds like a slippery slope argument, but come on, this is comics.

Orrr.. They will start making more books in her universe.. (i hope not) but if gweny ends up being marvel's front runner of the current all things femforce trend, they may very well adapt to "her" universe