• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Spider-Gwen #1 a sign of the bubble reaching its peak?

178 posts in this topic

Anything is possible once they spend enough time with the character - if nothing else, it'll be interesting to see what happens, but more to the point of this thread... ridiculous prices.

The industry doesn't really remind me too much of what went down in the 90s - for one thing, there's a thriving indie market with outstanding content - so if it is a sign of something about to pop, that something is a bit different, and it'll probably result in a shifting landscape, not a near complete industry collapse.

ANOTHER J SCOTT CAMPBELL COVER FOR SPIDER-GWEN #1 (and not from Midtown Comics)

http://ruppsworld.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17846

You're Welcome!

So 3000 of those and 1500 of the B&W... the real question that springs to my mind is seeing as they are a similar print run which do people prefer? The Midtown variant seems to have a lot more going on. In general when there are lots of variants flying around there always seems to be one that tends to be THE one to get above all the others, sometimes solely based on print run.

And Bucky should be dead!

And the Green Goblin!

And this Image is full of upstarts that think art is more important than the story!

And we didn't need fire growing up!

We just chased dinosaurs away with our wooden spears tipped with stone heads of death!

Stuff evolves.

If you don't like it, don't read it. Simple as that.

No one sits Gwen in the corner. No one.

This counts as evolution? How?

I couldn't care less about Gwen Stacy specifically, but I wish she had stayed dead - and that Green Goblin and everyone else had stayed dead - because I want to read new and innovative stories about characters moving forward, rather than rehashed old stories going over the same plots again and again that leave the characters stuck in the same rut without ever developing further.

Get some new ideas and stop beating a dead girlfriend.

You're Welcome!

So 3000 of those and 1500 of the B&W... the real question that springs to my mind is seeing as they are a similar print run which do people prefer? The Midtown variant seems to have a lot more going on. In general when there are lots of variants flying around there always seems to be one that tends to be THE one to get above all the others, sometimes solely based on print run.

I believe the ASM #300 swipe will be the one to get, over all the others.

Not sure on its print run, however.

I've seen the 1:100 Hughes offered at crazy prices, but the voices on here don't seem to like it a whole lot.

My personal "favorites" are the color #300 swipe, the color MTC JSC, and the 1:100 Hughes.

You're Welcome!

I believe the ASM #300 swipe will be the one to get, over all the others.

Not sure on its print run, however.

I've seen the 1:100 Hughes offered at crazy prices, but the voices on here don't seem to like it a whole lot.

My personal "favorites" are the color #300 swipe, the color MTC JSC, and the 1:100 Hughes.

The Phantom variant is the best of the bunch imo. After that, there are several I like including the Midtown variant. I think that maybe a few of these could do well because demand is pretty very high. We'll know soon when people outside of the blogs and boards do their thing on ebay. Money talks. :grin:

I agree the Phantom is my favorite out of the bunch. Timeless and a nice print run. I'm not familiar with Midtowns variants in the after market. Do they ever trend upwards in value?

A few have and I expect this will join them unless they printed 100,000 Midtown covers. lol

Larry has been putting together some sick Phantoms lately. The Enormous is one that has stayed sought after for quite some time and held a nice value. I love the Wytches and Nailbiter as well yet they have slowed down a bit as did those series.

I'm passing on Midtowns, as well as all the others outside of the Phantom. Not a completist and only the AH is one I'd like to own but not at the current prices.

I agree the Phantom is my favorite out of the bunch. Timeless and a nice print run. I'm not familiar with Midtowns variants in the after market. Do they ever trend upwards in value?

Of any of them the Phantom is the best ! the program is not rigged like the Marvel and Dc variants. Its good for retailers and their shop customers. Lower print runs, Great Covers and if you go to a location most are at cover price ! +100 the spider-Gwen #1 cover is a classic ! The other New one they have is a great homage cover to TMNT (squarriors)

There are seriously FOUR "spider-gwen" threads in the modern section alone now? Come on. :facepalm:

This character is already over-exposed and played out before the first issue has even been released.

And with over 250 copies in 9.8 already on the census combined in barely, what, four months (?) the book will have neither "rarity" nor importance to maintain its horrifically over-inflated price points once collector fatigue inevitably sets in.

-J.

Eh, your opinion.

Tell all that to Deadpool fans.

Sometimes lightning strikes. There are way more than 250 Gwen fans out there.

I will give it to issue 5 or 6 before I let you say, "I told you so!".

But to me, this is a fast moving train, my friend, so get on board.

Plus I know you love to argue, lol .

Eh, your opinion.

Tell all that to Deadpool fans.

Sometimes lightning strikes. There are way more than 250 Gwen fans out there.

I will give it to issue 5 or 6 before I let you say, "I told you so!".

But to me, this is a fast moving train, my friend, so get on board.

Plus I know you love to argue, lol .

The perception of scarcity is a significant driver of "value" in the collectibles market. There are undoubtedly several hundreds more dealer copies of these working their way through CGC's assembly line as we speak, and scores of other fidgety potential sellers wondering if/when they should throw their personal copies (back) on the market before the bubble pops.

Once the initial rush of speculators and bandwagon collectors have whetted their impulsive appetites there will need to be more than "neat costume" to sustain the book.

This book (or rather this character) may very well be the thing we look back on realize this is when "something changed" (or perhaps when speculative irrational exuberance overtook content and canon).

Whether that will be a good thing or bad thing, or in six months or six years is the question.

-J.

There are seriously FOUR "spider-gwen" threads in the modern section alone now? Come on. :facepalm:

This character is already over-exposed and played out before the first issue has even been released.

And with over 250 copies in 9.8 already on the census combined in barely, what, four months (?) the book will have neither "rarity" nor importance to maintain its horrifically over-inflated price points once collector fatigue inevitably sets in.

-J.

So don't start a "Miles and Gwen sitting in a tree" thread?

I'd like to have Todd McFarlane sign one of my Gwen 300 phantoms.

Question: Since he really didn't have anything to do with this book directly, could I have him sign it? I guess only Todd would decide on the spot, with the book in front of him, right? It's either "WTF? I didn't even write or draw this POS" or "Ah, whatever."

With that line of thinking, maybe even Stan would sign it.....

Or correct me if I'm wrong, maybe it's not even "allowed". (shrug)