• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Annual #14 - Proof of Gambit's 1st published appearance within
3 3

620 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2021 at 10:24 PM, Microchip said:

The old and new annotation for Annual 14.    A bit disappointing for that many panels of Gambit running around.

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 3.23.02 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 3.24.45 pm.png

Cameo...... 17 panels and only a cameo? Whatever!

On 9/17/2021 at 12:24 AM, Microchip said:

A bit disappointing Almost appropriate (still no such thing as a cameo of a new character) for that many panels of Gambit runnstanding around in the background scratching his butt.

Fixed.

On 9/18/2021 at 10:23 AM, Lazyboy said:
On 9/17/2021 at 3:24 PM, Microchip said:

A bit disappointing Almost appropriate (still no such thing as a cameo of a new character) for that many panels of Gambit runnstanding around in the background scratching his butt.

Fixed.

Deathlok has a new spirit animal disciple in you (thumbsu

On 9/20/2021 at 5:11 PM, waaaghboss said:
On 9/20/2021 at 1:24 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Yes…this page alone…

image.jpeg.cdde68590cdf38857224ef47a7b57267.jpeg

Expand  

Wait, cable predates gambit!?

storm too

On 9/21/2021 at 10:08 AM, Lazyboy said:

is where Gambit is actually relevant in the issue?

Lol, looking at the story points and applying a weighting to determine if he "appeared" or not.   Yeah, Arthur Adams drew Gambit into the book, before Claremont had even thought about creating the character :facepalm:

On 9/20/2021 at 7:34 PM, Microchip said:

Lol, looking at the story points and applying a weighting to determine if he "appeared" or not.   Yeah, Arthur Adams drew Gambit into the book, before Claremont had even thought about creating the character :facepalm:

I have NEVER said that Gambit does not appear in the issue. I'm not a brain-dead, drooling insufficiently_thoughtful_person. What I have said is that it is a brief appearance, not full, because that's what it is.

On 9/21/2021 at 10:41 AM, Lazyboy said:

I have NEVER said that Gambit does not appear in the issue. I'm not a brain-dead, drooling insufficiently_thoughtful_person. What I have said is that it is a brief appearance, not full, because that's what it is.

Yes, but your definition of what constitutes a full appearance is off by 16 drawings.   If he strolled through the background on the second to last page... that indeed would be a cameo.   But 17 panels kinda blows that notion out of the water.

On 9/20/2021 at 5:41 PM, Lazyboy said:

What would you call Darkseid's appearance in Jimmy Olsen 134?

On 9/20/2021 at 8:04 PM, oakman29 said:

What would you call Darkseid's appearance in Jimmy Olsen 134?

Brief, obviously (even for Darkseid). Pretty lame, too. Oh, and disappointing, since I bought the issue for Darkseid's appearance back when it was just called the first Darkseid and was expecting more.

The problem with UXA14 it is not 1st in continuity. It's not the panels or speaking panels. Continuity in story supersedes 1st published. 1st published is card lingo which does not apply. 266 was suppose to be published 1st, we all know it. This book is actually Gambit's third appearance in continuity and it is written like it and confirmed with the editorial message.

image.png.685953f0bbc7362bc1d41af1a38d2605.png

Edited by catch21

On 9/20/2021 at 7:20 PM, catch21 said:

The problem with UXA14 it is not 1st in continuity. It's not the panels or speaking panels. Continuity in story supersedes 1st published. 1st published is card lingo which does not apply. 266 was suppose to be published 1st, we all know it. This book is actually Gambit's third appearance in continuity and it is written like it and confirmed with the editorial message.

image.png.685953f0bbc7362bc1d41af1a38d2605.png

Well what’s the time limit on intention?  What if it was 2 months earlier, two years?  What if the editor had one intention and the writer had another intention?  

On 9/20/2021 at 7:51 PM, revat said:

Well what’s the time limit on intention?  What if it was 2 months earlier, two years?  What if the editor had one intention and the writer had another intention?  

6 months, Creator (determines 1st appearance) supersedes editor (determines 1st published). 

Edited by catch21

On 9/20/2021 at 8:11 PM, catch21 said:
On 9/20/2021 at 7:51 PM, revat said:

6 months, Creator (determines 1st appearance) supersedes editor (determines 1st published). 

Oh, wait a minute . . . you were serious. doh!

On 9/20/2021 at 8:24 PM, divad said:

Oh, wait a minute . . . you were serious. doh!

It makes logical sense. If you count 1st published, you have to go all in. That means previews should count in which case it shouldn't because it takes away sales (publisher to retailer) from the original creator.

Edited by catch21