• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Annual #14 - Proof of Gambit's 1st published appearance within
3 3

620 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2021 at 3:57 PM, Lazyboy said:

This is all of Gambit in the 40-page story, excluding the single page where he and Storm were outside/entering what was left of the mansion:

Gambit-UXMA14.thumb.jpg.5d4cd874c3af812d4f5077875f1859d5.jpg

He does not speak except on his first page with Storm. He does not act. He contributes nothing to the story. If you even want to see him you have to search.

WheresGambit.jpg.b2967e89bd20edf8cf44e3254b228eb9.jpg

That where's Waldo parody is the best thing I've seen in a while. I literally almost spat beer onto my phone lol

20 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:
On 6/9/2021 at 12:57 PM, Lazyboy said:

This is all of Gambit in the 40-page story, excluding the single page where he and Storm were outside/entering what was left of the mansion:

Gambit-UXMA14.thumb.jpg.5d4cd874c3af812d4f5077875f1859d5.jpg

He does not speak except on his first page with Storm. He does not act. He contributes nothing to the story. If you even want to see him you have to search.

WheresGambit.jpg.b2967e89bd20edf8cf44e3254b228eb9.jpg

Expand  

That where's Waldo parody is the best thing I've seen in a while. I literally almost spat beer onto my phone lol

Quite a bit more than Darkseid's . . . :whistle:

6 minutes ago, divad said:

It's funny, because Darkseid in SPJO134 (and his head on a monitor in a single panel) still has 100 times the presence and impact of Gambit in UXMA14 (and his one relevant page and handful of background shots). It's interesting how storytelling works.

On 6/13/2021 at 4:42 PM, divad said:

Exactly...that's just silly. He shows up in 13 panels, has 10 speaking parts and is named. 

45019088521_6f7a18c434_b.jpg

Edited by AGGIEZ

21 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

Exactly...that's just silly. He shows up in 13 panels, has 10 speaking parts and is named. 

Thank you for posting Gambit's only relevant page from the 40-page story. (thumbsu

I'm not sure about your math with 7 panels on 1 page supposedly equaling "10 speaking parts" but whatever.

27 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

I don’t mind calling this the 1st brief appearance (w/266 being 1st full) but Gambit does a lot here and they actually establish a decent amount of information about him in one page.

Actions taken:  

1. Breaks into x-mansion (a significant place)

2. speaks in 8 different panels

3.  Establishes Gambit knowledge of Storm history

4.  Is named

5.  Establishes that Storm knows he is a thief

6.  Has fashion AND name insulted by Storm

7. tries to establish nickname of storm.

8. 1st meeting with Cable of both Storm and Gambit.

9. Makes fun of Sinister’s name.

Of course he’s not the focus of the story, but that’s not actually a criteria for 1st appearance right?  This is A LOT MORE (especially when added to the other non-speaking/non-action Gambit panels in the book) than we count as first appearance for many many many other characters. 

of course I don’t care overall and it’s a fun thing for the comic homies to debate.

but I’d lean towards calling this the “1st Brief Appearance of Gambit” (not a cameo, I think it’s more than that)

and  X-men 266 can be the “first full appearance”

have a nice day

If you count separate speaking “bubbles”, Gambit has ten of those on the page.  I’m not sure what the technical definitions are that everyone is using, but that could be what was meant.

17 minutes ago, revat said:

Of course he’s not the focus of the story, but that’s not actually a criteria for 1st appearance right?

Of course not. Just appearing for the first time in a story is the criteria for a first appearance.

A character doesn't even have to be the focus in a first full appearance. But they do have to play a (relatively) significant part.

29 minutes ago, revat said:

This is A LOT MORE (especially when added to the other non-speaking/non-action Gambit panels in the book) than we count as first appearance for many many many other characters.

It's definitely not the briefest first appearance in comics history.

5 minutes ago, revat said:

If you count separate speaking “bubbles”, Gambit has ten of those on the page.  I’m not sure what the technical definitions are that everyone is using, but that could be what was meant.

Actually, it's 12 bubbles, with 3 being continuations. So 9 instances of uninterrupted speech. (shrug)

46 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Gambit does not speak on any other page in any of his other (background) panels. Well, there is one ambiguous panel that could be him, but that's it.

If you want to try to call me out, you had better read the book first and have even the slightest clue about the subject.

Try literacy.  It's groovy. (thumbsu

Read the book again...then come apologize. I'll wait

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Lazyboy literally has nothing to stand on, but he's built his house on Gambit-doesn't-matter-in-Annual-14 and he's ready to die in it, kicking and screaming.

Sad that making a few extra bucks would have him just throw away common sense... but that's why he's lazy... boy.

From what? I own multiple copies of the Annual that I'm quite willing to sell, in addition to the one in my collection. The only copy of UXM 266 I currently own is in my collection, with no plans for that to change.

I would love for people to start paying (even) higher amounts for the Annual so I could cash out. But I'm not going to lie about its contents in an attempt to make that happen.

Storm is there for a reason and actually plays a part in the story. Gambit is just the stray puppy that followed her.

I can stand on literacy, an understanding of storytelling, intelligence and many other things. It's a very, very solid footing.

Just now, AGGIEZ said:

Read the book again...then come apologize. I'll wait

I've read it. I have nothing to apologize for.

Now, you show us all these great, relevant Gambit panels. Please. I'll wait.

15 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

You're welcome. (see p.31)

And I've seen this movie before...some just like to stir the pot

Congratulations on contributing nothing. Try reading the thread first next time.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Gambit does not speak on any other page in any of his other (background) panels. Well, there is one ambiguous panel that could be him, but that's it.

So, is it your contention that Gambit somehow, for some reason, joined the X-Men and changed his clothing prior to the panel on page 31 or was Gambit just so irrelevant to the story that the artist couldn't even be bothered to attempt to draw him properly? :popcorn:

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Congratulations on contributing nothing. Try reading the thread first next time.

So, is it your contention that Gambit somehow, for some reason, joined the X-Men and changed his clothing prior to the panel on page 31 or was Gambit just so irrelevant to the story that the artist couldn't even be bothered to attempt to draw him properly? :popcorn:

Are you an abrasive in real life or just on message boards?  :roflmao:

I'm out...the book is what it is...and that obviously varies based on who you ask.

On 6/16/2021 at 2:42 PM, AGGIEZ said:
On 6/16/2021 at 2:39 PM, Lazyboy said:

Are you an abrasive in real life or just on message boards?

I apologize. Images of the full pages are definitely something, even if I did previously post the condensed version of Gambit's parts.

Gambit does make an appearance in Uncanny X-men Annual 14, not just a cameo, as shown by the page shots.

Chronologically, that appearance is before 266, as shown by the copyright information and other details shared; it was more than just a distribution timing anomaly.

Intended story continuity is the one aspect which could make 266 the official1st appearance.

Have the writers at the time advised what Gambit's first appearance is? Was 266 meant to be a flashback to the joining of this mysterious new character as has been suggested?

If the answer to that question was yes, then UXM Annual 14 is definitely his first appearance.

On 7/1/2021 at 8:34 PM, MattrixAlien said:

Gambit does make an appearance in Uncanny X-men Annual 14, not just a cameo, as shown by the page shots.

Chronologically, that appearance is before 266, as shown by the copyright information and other details shared; it was more than just a distribution timing anomaly.

Intended story continuity is the one aspect which could make 266 the official1st appearance.

Have the writers at the time advised what Gambit's first appearance is? Was 266 meant to be a flashback to the joining of this mysterious new character as has been suggested?

If the answer to that question was yes, then UXM Annual 14 is definitely his first appearance.

Unless a writer is also a collector, they probably don't care what book is considered the first appearance of a character.

Also, a flashback is a narrative device meant to fill in some information for the story being told. 266 isn't told as if the point is to fill in the missing info you need to understand and enjoy the Annual as a complete work.