• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the Affect of a "Signature" inside the front cover?

23 posts in this topic

I just bought a book online that the seller now tells me upon further inspection there is an unauthenticated signature by the artist inside the front cover on the first page. I had intended on getting the book graded, what would be the affect of such?

My first instinct is a green label, but I can also see it just being a detriment to the overall grade since it is not visible when slabbed. I'd appreciate input from anyone with similar experience or knowledge on the subject.

If its a neat clean signature in the margins than it will not affect a blue label grade. You can still get a 9.8.

+1. I've sent in a couple of TMNT 1, 2 & 3 with unwitnessed sigs on the inside that got 9.6 and 9.8. No real impact.

I am a big fan of old school inside cover sigs.

What is the book and sig?

IMHO a Kirby sig would actually add to the value.

Make sure to get good pics before encapsulation.

TF

I'm old school as well and prefer sigs on the inside of the book.

If its a neat clean signature in the margins than it will not affect a blue label grade. You can still get a 9.8.

+1. I've sent in a couple of TMNT 1, 2 & 3 with unwitnessed sigs on the inside that got 9.6 and 9.8. No real impact.

Whilst you can still get a 9.8 with an unverified interior sig, it usually designates that this is an absolutely spectacular & strong 9.8 copy. It's just not true that CGC ignores an unverified sig on the interior for grading purposes - it gets factored into the grade, but if it's a small, clean sig the impact will be minimal.

Here's the official explanation from the Ask CGC forum:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6606403#Post6606403

It would not matter who had signed the book, but signatures on the first page are nominally factored into the grade so they can prevent the book from getting the top grade. Therefore if more signatures are present, or if the signature(s) are large in size, they will affect the book's grade more.

I have a batman 219 with a small ink signature by Neal Adams on the front cover. It is in an unobtrusive spot. Will this be graded worse than an interior signature?

Cheers, Howard

Yes, an unverified cover signature means the book ends up in a Qualified label slab by default. You can ask for a Universal label slab, but you'll take a significant grade hit from doing so.

The book is an ASM 300 with Todd's sig (allegedly). I've asked the seller for a photo before making a decision. They stated the sig was "on the inside of the cover or the first page" which is why I want to see it, I don't know if they mean on the inside of the cover, or the first page (significant difference).

I'll post again when they reply and post a photo of the book if I choose to keep it when it arrives.

The book is an ASM 300 with Todd's sig (allegedly). I've asked the seller for a photo before making a decision. They stated the sig was "on the inside of the cover or the first page" which is why I want to see it, I don't know if they mean on the inside of the cover, or the first page (significant difference).

From a CGC grading point of view, there's no difference between a sig on the inside of the front cover or on the 1st page.

Even if the pressure of the pen point pokes through the front cover (as far as potentially affecting grade)?

If that much pressure had been applied and the sig was on the 1st page, it would affect all pages behind it as well - which would result in pretty much the same effect on the grade.

Covers are thinner and less flexible and a ball point sig with pressure will be visible on the obverse whereas with newsprint which is thicker and spongier not necessarily and it would take a lot of pressure to impact the next page of newsprint.

Covers are thinner and less flexible and a ball point sig with pressure will be visible on the obverse whereas with newsprint which is thicker and spongier not necessarily and it would take a lot of pressure to impact the next page of newsprint.

No.

No.

Yes

No worries, I quoted the original message in which the seller actually says both which is why I was asking for experience with each and any differences in potential grading detriments. The seller has since replied that it is on the first page and included a photo so I'm moving forward with the purchase.

Thanks to all who contributed.

152892.jpg.c813ff5f948fddadd40208b0f979b514.jpg