• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Sony reach deal

15 posts in this topic

The recent Sony iterations of Spiderman have been just awful IMO. They clearly don't know what makes the character or the fans tick.

It'll be a breath of fresh air to see him back in the Marvel/Disney fold for a bit....possibly even showing up with the Avengers :wishluck:

How about this for a bad business decision?

Sony has owned the feature rights to Spider-Man since 1999, when Marvel sold the character for $7 million.

Can anybody guess how much the 5 Spider-man movies have made worldwide? I'm guessing more than $7 million. doh!

Sony has owned the feature rights to Spider-Man since 1999, when Marvel sold the character for $7 million.

Can anybody guess how much the 5 Spider-man movies have made worldwide? Probably more than $7 million. doh!

What were they thinking? doh!

I believe it was something along the lines of "oh , we can't even pay rent this month because of how awful the comic business is, we gotta sell the filing cabinets & desks & maybe Spider-Man's movie rights (again) and do you think we could get something for this chair that Jack Kirby used to sit in?"

Can anybody guess how much the 5 Spider-man movies have made worldwide? Probably more than $7 million. doh!

There are a variety of articles on the subject here and there, the Spider-Man rights had been sold and re-sold throughout the 80's to companies that folded, etc. It's basically been tangled up in legalities until 1999 when Sony emerged as the one with Spidey. It's a very convoluted story that likely started out to be a good idea to expand into markets they didn't specialize in, but slowly became a major problem for the company.

Here's an article from 1999 that highlights what happened. There's TONS more out there if you're curious.

Please make a deal on galactus next :banana:

Fox and Marvel tried that back in 2012-2013. But when talks broke down over Daredevil's movie rights, supposedly any discussion about Silver Surfer and Galactus (the rumored two characters Marvel wanted back), they were off the table.

Please make a deal on galactus next :banana:

Fox and Marvel tried that back in 2012-2013. But when talks broke down over Daredevil's movie rights, supposedly any discussion about Silver Surfer and Galactus (the rumored two characters Marvel wanted back), they were off the table.

My one supervisor told me I had a lot of gripes today. I went into her office and started complaining about 20th Century Fox having FF and X-Men. It's funny because she knows everything I'm talking about. You can even talk wrestling with her.