• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Katee Sackhoff to play Ms. Marvel?

222 posts in this topic

emily blunt is a very very good actor, which is why its credible, as Marvel has a strong track record of focusing on quality acting skills, not just looks

but can you SELL a girl superhero movie with an actress without a history of box office success and a comic book character that very few people have heard of? She doesn't even have super critical success (Oscars/emmy's etc), or the nerd-props (katee sackoff), or the obvious physicality, although most agree she's pretty good. I would think you need an actress who is either hotter career-wise or physically hotter. Nothing wrong with the way she looks, but I don't she gets talked about as a 'hot' girl by anyone. Not that that's a pre-requisite or that actresses should be judged that way, but we can't ignore that its a factor in what movies people see and what movies get green lit.

I'm not really sure who that leaves...just saying there's a lot of things to consider before casting Emily Blunt. FYI it would actually get me pretty interested to watch the movie if they cast her, but I'm not sure the 'people' feel the same.

emily blunt is a very very good actor, which is why its credible, as Marvel has a strong track record of focusing on quality acting skills, not just looks

but can you SELL a girl superhero movie with an actress without a history of box office success and a comic book character that very few people have heard of?

Yes, absolutely. The first female super hero movie will be a monster, they need a high quality actress to helm it.

"Blunt made her professional debut in The Royal Family, a play opposite Judi Dench"

"In 2006, Blunt appeared opposite Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway"

"garnered her nominations for a BAFTA and a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress"

"That same year, Blunt co-starred with Susan Sarandon"

"She was director Jon Favreau's first choice to play the Black Widow in Iron Man 2 but scheduling conflicts with Gulliver's Travels forced her to cede the role to Scarlett Johansson."

"Blunt starred in the 2011 with Ewan McGregor "

"In January 2011, Blunt starred with Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt;"

"In 2014, she starred alongside Tom Cruise"

nerd credit is completely irrelevant, having a strong actress is what matters, and what Marvel time and again goes for...given her massive list of co-stars, and critical acclaim, its very plausible. She is the right age and acting ability for Marvel to chose, and they love going for people who are big but not huge yet, and turning them into super stars. (hemsworth, evans, hiddleston, renner, pratt, ruffalo, etc)

but can you SELL a girl superhero movie with an actress without a history of box office success and a comic book character that very few people have heard of? She doesn't even have super critical success (Oscars/emmy's etc), or the nerd-props (katee sackoff), or the obvious physicality, although most agree she's pretty good. I would think you need an actress who is either hotter career-wise or physically hotter. Nothing wrong with the way she looks, but I don't she gets talked about as a 'hot' girl by anyone. Not that that's a pre-requisite or that actresses should be judged that way, but we can't ignore that its a factor in what movies people see and what movies get green lit.

I'm not really sure who that leaves...just saying there's a lot of things to consider before casting Emily Blunt. FYI it would actually get me pretty interested to watch the movie if they cast her, but I'm not sure the 'people' feel the same.

I find your lack of faith in "the people" disturbing.

571648-darth_vader_23.jpg

but can you SELL a girl superhero movie with an actress without a history of box office success and a comic book character that very few people have heard of?

Yes, absolutely. The first female super hero movie will be a monster, they need a high quality actress to helm it.

"Blunt made her professional debut in The Royal Family, a play opposite Judi Dench"

"garnered her nominations for a BAFTA and a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress"

"She was director Jon Favreau's first choice to play the Black Widow in Iron Man 2 but scheduling conflicts with Gulliver's Travels forced her to cede the role to Scarlett Johansson."

nerd credit is completely irrelevant, having a strong actress is what matters, and what Marvel time and again goes for...given her massive list of co-stars, and critical acclaim, its very plausible. She is the right age and acting ability for Marvel to chose, and they love going for people who are big but not huge yet, and turning them into super stars. (hemsworth, evans, hiddleston, renner, pratt, ruffalo, etc)

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but I'm having a PREEETTTY tough time remembering ANY of the movies you listed above, with the exception of Looper (which I liked but wasn't like a super hit or anything, nor was she exceptionally memorable), and Edge of Tomorrow, which was critically acclaimed but generally considered a BUST at the box office. I'm not saying she doesn't have a LOT of the things Marvel is looking for, and I agree that having a strong actress is VERY important, but other things are important too, like getting people to come watch the movie. But I guess it depends on expectations and what they're going for too.

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but I'm having a PREEETTTY tough time remembering ANY of the movies you listed above, with the exception of Looper (which I liked but wasn't like a super hit or anything, nor was she exceptionally memorable), and Edge of Tomorrow, which was critically acclaimed but generally considered a BUST at the box office. I'm not saying she doesn't have a LOT of the things Marvel is looking for, and I agree that having a strong actress is VERY important, but other things are important too, like getting people to come watch the movie. But I guess it depends on expectations and what they're going for too.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that Blunt is more or less on the same level as several of Marvel's other leading men at the time they were cast? My knowledge of films is hazy at best but I was under the impression RDJ had also only been in a few "good" movies but nothing huge. He wound up nailing the part and being sexy enough to bring in repeat viewers - why not the same for Emily Blunt?

If I'm incorrect in the RDJ assumption, my apologies :foryou:

Wouldn't it be fair to say that Blunt is more or less on the same level as several of Marvel's other leading men at the time they were cast? My knowledge of films is hazy at best but I was under the impression RDJ had also only been in a few "good" movies but nothing huge. He wound up nailing the part and being sexy enough to bring in repeat viewers - why not the same for Emily Blunt?

If I'm incorrect in the RDJ assumption, my apologies :foryou:

I would say her 'pedigree' is actually better than Hemsworth, equal to Chris Evans (although he had a bit of superhero cred with FF), and not as good as RDJ before their solo Marvel movies.

But we're also dealing with current higher MARVEL expectations for a lesser known hero, who also happens to be a female. How many successful action movies feature women as the titular main character? Lucy? Gravity (FYI I'd be cool casting Sandra Bullock)? Its also a CAPTAIN MARVEL movie, who is still Carol Danvers, but not the Ms Marvel that fanboys have 'followed' for years.

I would think Marvel would go for a bit more of a 'splash'. I'd get it if they went with her, and I'd probably be happy about it, but I'd be a bit surprised if they did it, and I wouldn't be surprised if it opened even lower than Ant-Man (a movie I thoroughly enjoyed).

Wouldn't it be fair to say that Blunt is more or less on the same level as several of Marvel's other leading men at the time they were cast?

yup, exactly that. famous, but not a superstar, strong acting chops.

A lot of people on these forums forget that Marvel's success has come from the strength of their casting which was to NOT pick established names, and to NOT target the US domestic audience (aka one liners and hot babes)

Wouldn't it be fair to say that Blunt is more or less on the same level as several of Marvel's other leading men at the time they were cast?

A lot of people on these forums forget that Marvel's success has come from the strength of their casting which was to NOT pick established names, and to NOT target the US domestic audience (aka one liners and hot babes)

Although that plan developed over time, as at one point Marvel had Tom Cruise lined up as Tony Stark.

But let's ignore that fact.

:baiting:

Although that plan developed over time, as at one point Marvel had Tom Cruise lined up as Tony Stark.

But let's ignore that fact.

:baiting:

lol, when they cast RDJ, and both sides took a chance on the other, it was so perfect I remember going around trying to explain to people why it was such a perfect casting. Absolute superstar acting skills, and a guy who was a millionaire playboy alcoholic....

lol, when they cast RDJ, and both sides took a chance on the other, it was so perfect I remember going around trying to explain to people why it was such a perfect casting. Absolute superstar acting skills, and a guy who was a millionaire playboy alcoholic....

It was a perfect casting. He was made to play this role. And it has led to other movies he exceeded with outside of the Marvel Universe (e.g. Tropic Thunder, Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows).

Huh. I didn't see that coming.

Ronda Rousey wants the chance to play Captain Marvel

rousey-captain-marvel.jpg

During her recent Reddit AMA, Rousey was asked which superhero she would like to play. Obviously, since comic book adaptations are hot right now and Rousey is a massive nerd who loves Pokemon, Sailor Moon, and more, she had an answer.

“A lot of the good ones have been taken, but I’d like to vie for Miss Marvel!”

Now, this is likely going to be a divisive comment since Rousey is not exactly known for her acting ability. Aside from roles in THE EXPENDABLES 3, ENTOURAGE, FURIOUS 7, and an upcoming biopic about her own life, Rousey does not have much to her resume. Marvel Studios is definitely looking for someone who could embody a well-rounded take on Carol Danvers, but I am not sure if Ronda Rousey is quite that person.

Rhonda would be a monster as Carol. Plus, everyone in the theater would buy everything she did on screen. Tho I've been wishing for either Gina Carano or Anna Torv for a long time.

Rhonda would be a monster as Carol. Plus, everyone in the theater would buy everything she did on screen. Tho I've been wishing for either Gina Carano or Anna Torv for a long time.

She needs to fight a worthy competitor first like a TJ Dillashaw since no one in her gender is worth facing. As far as who shouls play Carol Danvers go with Emma Stone with dyed hair.

Big NO to Rousey portraying Captain Marvel.

Mega talented athlete, yes. Actor? Not so much.

The other problem is that, due to her "stardom" for me, it would be "Ronda Rousey Playing a Super Hero" as opposed to the focus being on the character herself. Other actors, say like Charlize Theron, can "transcend" their "name" to fit the role. I just don't see Rousey having that or the other necessary acting skills.

Even with GSP being in Captain America, it was the one part that "took me out" of the movie for a bit.

I would *think* Marvel would want someone with some experience and some name recognition but not a big a name as Rousey. Regardless, I don't think Marvel will have any difficulty filling the role with a talented actor.