• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Even ComicConnect Can't Tell the Difference

20 posts in this topic

I can read the label just fine. I'm sure most people can when buying a book of that multitude.

Maybe you can decipher it for me then ?

1) Is the resto moderate or extensive ? Because it can't be both.

2) Is the book graded as a restored book or as it would have been graded without the apparent restoration ?

3) Is the only reason it is considered restored and not "conserved" because it has a little colour touch?

4) Why do they use different label colours for signature books, but choose to confuse matters by using the same label for books that are restored and "conserved" (aka restored)? As if the presence of some random signature somewhere on the books is more important than restoration ?

The description for the book in the last paragraph seems rather geared to this book in particular. I just think someone needs to read all the fine print on that label.

hm

-J.

3) Is the only reason it is considered restored and not "conserved" because it has a little colour touch?

Good question - let me check the free, on-line grader's notes.

"many pieces added to cover"

No, it's considered restored because it has pieces added to the cover and color touch.

Hmm...and anyways I thought you could have a little color touch on an "unrestored" book? (shrug)

Clearly a listing description error. I can't imagine anyone bidding would assume it's unrestored, given the info is all there on the label and in the comments.

I have more issue with the apparent grade and the "professional" description of the restoration, as it looks like a pretty poor job just from the scans.

Clearly a listing description error. I can't imagine anyone bidding would assume it's unrestored, given the info is all there on the label and in the comments.

I have more issue with the apparent grade and the "professional" description of the restoration, as it looks like a pretty poor job just from the scans.

+1 :tonofbricks:

-J.

I can read the label just fine. I'm sure most people can when buying a book of that multitude.

Maybe you can decipher it for me then ?

1) Is the resto moderate or extensive ? Because it can't be both.

2) Is the book graded as a restored book or as it would have been graded without the apparent restoration ?

4) Why do they use different label colours for signature books, but choose to confuse matters by using the same label for books that are restored and "conserved" (aka restored)? As if the presence of some random signature somewhere on the books is more important than restoration ?

The description for the book in the last paragraph seems rather geared to this book in particular. I just think someone needs to read all the fine print on that label.

hm

-J.

I agree, I take that as " we are going to convince the unawhere buyer" that all books graded, whether restored or not, are the same and accepted in the hobby, so don't pay attention and bid as if unrestored.

IMHO

I gotta admit. That was a good one there. I like it and hope CGC makes a change on this soon...

"many pieces added to cover"

No, it's considered restored because it has pieces added to the cover and color touch.

Hmm...and anyways I thought you could have a little color touch on an "unrestored" book? (shrug)

...and can't you add pieces to the cover/spine to "reinforce" it and have it be called "conservation"? Does anyone really know the supposed differences? (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INCREDIBLE-HULK-1CBCS-5-0-OW-WHITE-PAGES-LIKE-CGC-/321649235929?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4ae3c9d7d9&nma=true&si=RgD8672UacyTR%252Bjk7ERwAehdhLc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

-J.

They made the same mistake it appears with this Cap 1 in the next auction BTW, anyone think this looks familiar to the one Tomorrows Treasures was selling for 29k (raw) with NO COLOR TOUCH (that some boardies thought they saw as having CT) Looks like the same book to me but that is just my opinion