• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hake's Auction Ending Tomorrow

44 posts in this topic

Some of the opening bids seem ridiculously high. As I mentioned in another thread, I love the America's Best #8 CGC 8.0, but 4x guide as an opening bid is unreasonable, even for the Pennsylvania Copy. I'll be very surprised if the book gets any bids at all.

Some of the opening bids seem ridiculously high. As I mentioned in another thread, I love the America's Best #8 CGC 8.0, but 4x guide as an opening bid is unreasonable, even for the Pennsylvania Copy. I'll be very surprised if the book gets any bids at all.

I just had a discussion with someone on this very subject. This is not an auction it is a price list. At least you do not have to start at a dollar and shilled all the way up making you scratch your head. If you want it, you have to pay that price. Simple as that. I may be in the minority on this one but, I prefer it this way.

If that Felix the Cat was English, I'd be all over it.

What you do in your own personal time is one thing, but you hardly need to broadcast to the boards that male English cats are what turn you on. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Actually that Felix is an aussie. He was created by an australian.... thumbsup2.gif

If that Felix the Cat was English, I'd be all over it.

What you do in your own personal time is one thing, but you hardly need to broadcast to the boards that male English cats are what turn you on. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Actually that Felix is an aussie. He was created by an australian.... thumbsup2.gif

Well that's all right then. tongue.gif

aussienohandsoutback2.jpg

I just had a discussion with someone on this very subject. This is not an auction it is a price list. At least you do not have to start at a dollar and shilled all the way up making you scratch your head. If you want it, you have to pay that price. Simple as that. I may be in the minority on this one but, I prefer it this way.

That doesn't make any sense. Of course it's an auction. If it were a price list, as you say, then the first person willing to meet the price would get the book. That's not the case. Anyone else can outbid until the auction ends tomorrow.

Hakes emailed me this morning to let me know that they'd adjusted the opening bid on the America's Best #8. Unfortunately, they'd only lowered it from 4x guide to 3x guide, still too much for an 8.0. As I said in my email to them, I recently picked up a Thrilling #15 CGC 8.0 from another auction house for just under guide and a half. Both books are Nedors with Schomburg covers, and both are CGC 8.0. Yes, the America's Best is the Pennsylvania copy, but the premium placed on a pedigree book diminshes substantially when it's only an 8.0.

I'd love to get the book. I just don't want to overpay.

Yes, the America's Best is the Pennsylvania copy, but the premium placed on a pedigree book diminshes substantially when it's only an 8.0.

Now if I made that comment, I would hear from several members that I'm a cheap [#@$%!!!]. blush.gif

But, I agree with your point 100%.

Yes, the America's Best is the Pennsylvania copy, but the premium placed on a pedigree book diminshes substantially when it's only an 8.0.

Now if I made that comment, I would hear from several members that I'm a cheap [#@$%!!!]. blush.gif

But, I agree with your point 100%.

But you ARE a cheap [#@$%!!!]. poke2.gif

Did you ever get that TTA#62? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That doesn't make any sense. Of course it's an auction. If it were a price list, as you say, then the first person willing to meet the price would get the book. That's not the case. Anyone else can outbid until the auction ends tomorrow.

Hakes emailed me this morning to let me know that they'd adjusted the opening bid on the America's Best #8. Unfortunately, they'd only lowered it from 4x guide to 3x guide, still too much for an 8.0. As I said in my email to them, I recently picked up a Thrilling #15 CGC 8.0 from another auction house for just under guide and a half. Both books are Nedors with Schomburg covers, and both are CGC 8.0. Yes, the America's Best is the Pennsylvania copy, but the premium placed on a pedigree book diminshes substantially when it's only an 8.0.

IMO an "auction" is a forum where the buyers dictate the selling price, not the seller saying you can not even bid on my book unless your willing to spend at least this amount. Thats just me I guess. As far as it not being a price list, well at those opening prices I would think more than half those books would be yours if you met the opening bid, so semanticly it might be an auction, it really is a price list just like any other dealer.

But you ARE a cheap [#@$%!!!].

Did you ever get that TTA#62?

Tuesday night-PedigreeComics

Northland copy!!!!!!!

I picked up four CGC 9.4 Strange Tales (pre issue #135) and six CGC 9.4/9.6 TTA's, in a 10 hour period. Definitely filled some nice holes in my runs (but now I have a hole in my checkbook). tongue.gif

Looking forward to Heritage's auction. Would like to get one SA key, maybe a few DC SA pedigree books and one or two GA books. That would be a nice trifecta.

Still need a dang TOS #52 in at least CGC 9.0. Christo_pull_hair.gif

But you ARE a cheap [#@$%!!!].

Did you ever get that TTA#62?

Tuesday night-PedigreeComics

Northland copy!!!!!!!

I picked up four CGC 9.4 Strange Tales (pre issue #135) and six CGC 9.4/9.6 TTA's, in a 10 hour period. Definitely filled some nice holes in my runs (but now I have a hole in my checkbook). tongue.gif

Looking forward to Heritage's auction. Would like to get one SA key, maybe a few DC SA pedigree books and one or two GA books. That would be a nice trifecta.

Still need a dang TOS #52 in at least CGC 9.0. Christo_pull_hair.gif

How much did you pay for the Northland?

I finally got a TOS#52 in CGC 9.0, but it's friggin slab damaged on the top edge. Christo_pull_hair.gif

How much did you pay for the Northland?

I finally got a TOS#52 in CGC 9.0, but it's friggin slab damaged on the top edge.

That stinks. I thought you bought Harry's copy? Is that the CGC 9.0?

TTA #62 CGC 9.4 Northland $490 (it's shown on Doug's site). Package deal with several other books. Didn't get a steal by any means, but felt that I got the prices down as low as he would go.

While this might sound like bragging (and it is), I only need three more issues between #59-101 to complete the entire Hulk run.

Brian,

regarding the Strange Tales, got them on a different site. I had been bidding on them for over a year. Made a package deal which seemed high. But now that this book just sold for this price (that's around 4.5 times guide and it's only 9.2), I feel that these were smart books to pick up now.

Strange Tales #123 CGC 9.2 Curator

Which issues did you purchase?

I wish I'd have bought that 123 off of John's website at the list price, was like 300 bucks and just sat there forever. I would've rather had that 9.2 Curator then my 9.4

Brian

#128,131,133,134.

Yes, the prices were high, but since I have almost a complete run from #135-168 in CGC 9.4/9.6, I now have a real shot at having all the issues from 1965 on (starts at #128) in CGC 9.4. I need #129,130,132,136,139,162.

If I could get #101-127 in CGC 9.0 or better, that would be just fine. cloud9.gif