• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hake's Auction Ending Tomorrow

44 posts in this topic

How much did you pay for the Northland?

I finally got a TOS#52 in CGC 9.0, but it's friggin slab damaged on the top edge.

That stinks. I thought you bought Harry's copy? Is that the CGC 9.0?

TTA #62 CGC 9.4 Northland $490 (it's shown on Doug's site). Package deal with several other books. Didn't get a steal by any means, but felt that I got the prices down as low as he would go.

While this might sound like bragging (and it is), I only need three more issues between #59-101 to complete the entire Hulk run.

Brian,

regarding the Strange Tales, got them on a different site. I had been bidding on them for over a year. Made a package deal which seemed high. But now that this book just sold for this price (that's around 4.5 times guide and it's only 9.2), I feel that these were smart books to pick up now.

Strange Tales #123 CGC 9.2 Curator

You got a great deal on the Northland then. I paid (choke) more for my 9.4 copy. frustrated.gif

I did buy Harry's copy. It is at CGC. I don't think it'll pull a 9.0 though. I think I graded it an 8.0 to 8.5 because of the Marvel pre-chipping tears along the top, minor spine wear, minor corner abrasions, a tiny Marvel chip out of the LRC, and a 1/4 inch ding near the bottom edge. It is still a great copy though, and I'll own it forever. cloud9.gif

The 9.0 I bought was from Jay Yoder, who bought it from Heritage. I posted scans of it before.

They look like nice books, realistically it's a sellers market on STT 9.4's so if you want them you have to pay the price. That's pretty much why I've strayed from buying many of them if they ever turn up.

How'd you do a package deal on that site, btw? Did you know who the seller was?

Brian

> Some of the opening bids seem ridiculously high. As I mentioned in another

> thread, I love the America's Best #8 CGC 8.0, but 4x guide as an opening bid

> is unreasonable, even for the Pennsylvania Copy. I'll be very surprised if

> the book gets any bids at all.

Geppi bought the FC 16 8.5 (from either Verzyl or Colabuono, I forget) for around $8K 2-3 years back. It was listed with an estimate of ~$20K at Hakes' (although a 9.2 has appeared in the census since then). I get the impression he isn't that keen on selling at least this book.

Geppi bought the FC 16 8.5 (from either Verzyl or Colabuono, I forget) for around $8K 2-3 years back. It was listed with an estimate of ~$20K at Hakes' (although a 9.2 has appeared in the census since then). I get the impression he isn't that keen on selling at least this book

Earlier this year Geppi bought another FC16 8.5 from Ebay for $14K. Fc16 in Hakes auction is not the ebay copy. I looked at the census when Hake's auction went online and there were two 8.5s back then... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Can't remember were there 9.2 at the time.

Scott:

The 9.0 I bought was from Jay Yoder, who bought it from Heritage. I posted scans of it before.

I think he offered it to me before you bought it (he had two copies). Glad I didn't buy it, but feel bad for you. frown.gif

Brian:

How'd you do a package deal on that site, btw? Did you know who the seller was?

Don't know who the seller was. Josh had emailed me about another book, and I said I would be interested in the four Strange Tales at this price, and Josh made it happen. I swear the list prices had actually increase over the past year. confused.gif

Have you guys bought anything good (or bad) lately?

Anyone get anything?

The comics were, IMO, overpriced.

Don't know that anyone here will give a rat's buttock, but these truly scarce (in once case, potentially unique) gems had to be mine.

703924-evasmall.jpg

The first is a very early version of Elmer Fudd on glass (I only know of 2 that exist, although I'd guess there are between 5-10) and a perhaps uniqueh Little Eva glass, featuring an obscure character from one of the "banned" racist Looney Tunes, "Uncle Tom's Cabin". I don't know of anyone who has seen this before.

703924-evasmall.jpg.e805d03a344334edcd073023aafe04d4.jpg

I emailed them after the auction was over about a book that I'm interested in that didn't receive any bids. They replied that they will not be offering unsold items for sale, and to check future auctions.

I don't know if they own this stuff, or some of it is on consignment, but if the owner of the America's Best #8 is interested in selling, I'm interested in buying, for a reasonable price.

I never understood their sale policy. If it didn't get a bid in the auction at the starting price, why would anyone pay that same price in their sale. I'm sure it happens occasionally, but not enough to warrant the effort, I would guess.

And they do sell comics in their remainder sale, just not the CGC books, which I'm guessing they feel they can hold onto until they get their price

Anyone get anything?

The comics were, IMO, overpriced.

Don't know that anyone here will give a rat's buttock, but these truly scarce (in once case, potentially unique) gems had to be mine.

703924-evasmall.jpg

The first is a very early version of Elmer Fudd on glass (I only know of 2 that exist, although I'd guess there are between 5-10) and a perhaps uniqueh Little Eva glass, featuring an obscure character from one of the "banned" racist Looney Tunes, "Uncle Tom's Cabin". I don't know of anyone who has seen this before.

Paul,

Congrats on the character glasses! Very cool. thumbsup2.gif

703924-evasmall.jpg

Paul, did you take a close look at the enlarged image they had on the site?

glasses.jpg

703924-evasmall.jpg

glasses.jpg

ROFL! 893applaud-thumb.gif

703924-evasmall.jpg

glasses.jpg

That is really sick! sign-funnypost.gif

703924-evasmall.jpg

glasses.jpg

Too freaking funny.. sign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I'll confess. Until I saw the pic, you had me worried for a second.