• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spectre ... does anyone care?

75 posts in this topic

A Spectre movie could be pretty cool. A supernatural noir.

Yes, if done well a Spectre movie would be just great. Spectre has always been a fave of mine. I had a couple or three More Fun books many years ago and have even held onto my BA Spectres from the New Adventures series because I like the guy so much. But if they make a movie they absolutely cannot pull a Spirit on the Spectre! Spirit was also a noir-ish character and what the heck happened THERE?! :o

Frank Miller.

People who say only Superman and Batman have mass appeal, and that a character like Spectre will always have a limited audience....they were saying the exact same thing about Aquaman and Green Arrow a few years ago.

The Spectre was a solid enough character to have tremendous potential. His Golden Age history is cemented. And of course it's extra rare. Long term, you can't go wrong by buying a comic with his first appearance.

People who say only Superman and Batman have mass appeal, and that a character like Spectre will always have a limited audience....they were saying the exact same thing about Aquaman and Green Arrow a few years ago.

The Spectre was a solid enough character to have tremendous potential. His Golden Age history is cemented. And of course it's extra rare. Long term, you can't go wrong by buying a comic with his first appearance.

No? The 9.2 Larson copy of More Fun 52 sold for $119,500 in 2006.

Then it sold for $89,625 in 2010.

Heritage takes 19.5 %, so unless he had a special deal in place, the seller of it netted $81,111—in 2010 dollars, which equates to roughly $78,200 in 2006 dollars.

$119,500

— $ 78,200

$41,300 (amount lost in 2006 $$)

($41,300/$119,500) X 100% = 34.56% loss

Heritage takes 19.5 %, so unless he had a special deal in place, the seller of it netted $81,111—in 2010 dollars, which equates to roughly $78,200 in 2006 dollars.

$119,500

— $ 78,200

And check out the more than 50% loss on a 6.0 that I noted back on page 2.

$119,500

— $ 78,200

I wonder what it would sell for today?

The Spectre has always been one of my favourite characters, ever since I read the Fleisher Adventure Comics run as a kid during the 70s. I can't really afford the actual More Fun Comics issues, but I have the first archive hardcover and I enjoy the earlier, darker storylines, along with those of Dr Fate, another favourite.

The stories do start losing their appeal later when The Spectre is progressively disempowered, and ends up being terribly mishandled and reduced effectively to ghostly sidekick status. Quite sad for such a great character.

2006 to 2010 is not a long-term investment. In that case, they bought a comic that was priced fairly reasonably; in other words it wasn't undervalued like some 1st appearances. And they sold too soon. People even lost money on More Fun 73 by selling too soon. They bought the Edgar Church copy for $57K and then sold for $33K or something. They sold too soon. Now even a 3.5 graded copy is worth more than that. Hopefully that seller reinvested in something else good.

I never understood why More Fun 52 was in the Top-10 most valuable comics. I don't know where it ranks now. But 10 years ago, when I was still new to the hobby, it was ranked in the Top 10. It was considered nearly as valuable as Flash 1, and more valuable or tied with Whiz 2(1). And I never understood why. He's not nearly as good a character as the Flash or Captain Marvel. And there are other non-top-10 characters that are better than Spectre too. So yes, MF 52 was overvalued comparatively.

Plus the fact that he appears in MF 51 is a downer for me on the MF 52. Notice how I worded my post by saying '1st appearance' instead of saying MF 52.

All I'm saying is that you can't go wrong with golden-age 1st appearances, long term. Spectre has a good enough history (Justice Society founding member) to rank highly. Take your top 30 or so golden-age heroes, put them in order of rank....and then price their 1st appearances. And wait for the movie to wake people up. Movies don't make the character. They just wake people up to characters that are already established and undervalued.

2006 to 2010 is not a long-term investment. In that case, they bought a comic that was priced fairly reasonably; in other words it wasn't undervalued like some 1st appearances. And they sold too soon. People even lost money on More Fun 73 by selling too soon. They bought the Edgar Church copy for $57K and then sold for $33K or something. They sold too soon. Now even a 3.5 graded copy is worth more than that. Hopefully that seller reinvested in something else good.

I never understood why More Fun 52 was in the Top-10 most valuable comics. I don't know where it ranks now. But 10 years ago, when I was still new to the hobby, it was ranked in the Top 10. It was considered nearly as valuable as Flash 1, and more valuable or tied with Whiz 2(1). And I never understood why. He's not nearly as good a character as the Flash or Captain Marvel. And there are other non-top-10 characters that are better than Spectre too. So yes, MF 52 was overvalued comparatively.

Plus the fact that he appears in MF 51 is a downer for me on the MF 52. Notice how I worded my post by saying '1st appearance' instead of saying MF 52.

All I'm saying is that you can't go wrong with golden-age 1st appearances, long term. Spectre has a good enough history (Justice Society founding member) to rank highly. Take your top 30 or so golden-age heroes, put them in order of rank....and then price their 1st appearances. And wait for the movie to wake people up. Movies don't make the character. They just wake people up to characters that are already established and undervalued.

Gotta humbly disagree with your statement about the Spectre not being as good as the Flash or Capt Marvel. He is WAY more bad than either of those characters. Maybe the most bad of all the DC universe. He has the powers of GOD. Can't think of too many characters that could take him. Very dark and well written stories until they gave him that stupid sidekick. Early Spectre and Batman are the best DCs! Check out the DC reprint volume. That, as well as Dr Fate, Aquaman and Green Arrow makes More Fun a great cover to cover read.

I don`t know about Aquaman, but Arrow became cool with mainstream because of the CW show.

So for the Spectre to finally get mass appeal by mainstream we will find Hollywood has to do it right just like they did with Arrow or another Green Lantern could happen instead.

I think he has one of the best origins in comics. It goes over two issues (#52 and #53). Check it out, it's a good one!

+1 It's pretty dark, even for early GA. One of my favorites!

+2 Those two issues stand out to me as one of the highlights of the DC Golden Age. Aside from horror, I don't recall a more shocking story from that era. If anyone knows of other, equally dark examples I'd very much like check them out.