• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

From RAW to a 4.5 to a 6.0

56 posts in this topic

Is that a chip on the bottom edge of the 4.0 that is gone on the 5.0?

Ken

that was the first page protrusion folded up over the edge of the cover, that was put in its place the second go-round and no longer covering a sliver of the bottom edge.

oh cool, another one. :banana: PQ bump too :whee:

ComicConnect last auction

30-2014-3750.jpg

ComicLink this auction

RAD8E7492015212_113453.jpg

I like that one. Book looks nicer without the spine roll, and they got rid of the tape. :applause:

That is nice work, presents so much better and I wouldn't mind paying for the grade bump. .

It looks like the spine realignment introduced a spine split at the bottom but otherwise I admit the book looks much better.

That's a good point.

oh cool, another one. :banana: PQ bump too :whee:

ComicConnect last auction

30-2014-3750.jpg

ComicLink this auction

RAD8E7492015212_113453.jpg

I like that one. Book looks nicer without the spine roll, and they got rid of the tape. :applause:

Agreed, Jeff. That restored book looks a whole lot better! :baiting:lol

y'all are missing the point; you're not supposed to appreciate the better aesthetics. the phenomenon you see has the hobby in the crapper.

Because this is so much more disturbing than the undisclosed restoration and grade inflation after changing hands, that one has always found with raw books.

too sensible a point; you need some "manufacured gold" inculcation. in a hurry.

Now that would be fun, BP. Just like old times! :D

I am no expert grader but does the 6.0 look 1.5 grades better than the 4.5? Or is that just due to the centerfold issue?

when I looked at it prior to the auction starting I thought "man that is one ugly 6.0". I figured it must be flat as a pancake, CGC loves books that have a very flat surface.

I am no expert grader but does the 6.0 look 1.5 grades better than the 4.5? Or is that just due to the centerfold issue?

when I looked at it prior to the auction starting I thought "man that is one ugly 6.0". I figured it must be flat as a pancake, CGC loves books that have a very flat surface.

Very good point.

Love this hobby at times ...

Book was sold raw on ebay for circa 7.5k.

Found its way on the auction block as a 4.5 with detached centerfold and sold for circa 13.7k.

Linky

Now it's back again as a 6.0

Linky

I'll be so happy if the con artist who had the centerfold tucked in takes a loss on the book!

So what are we arguing here?That an apparent purple HG equals a lower grade blue?

I think more relevant to the topic at hand would be to what degree(grade #) certain types of restoration should impact a book. Then what $ amount that grade change affects the book.

This is pretty significant to GA books. Modern not so much.

Looks like the top left corner of the Cap got pretty chewed up in the "reverstoration".

I would have left it alone, the buyer got a great deal on it as a slightly restored 4.5, and I'm not sure it would go for any less than it will as a blue 3.0 upon resale when you factor in the cost of reslabbing ( and any possible expense for work done).

The Action doesn't look too worse for wear, and the closer grade gap indicates the reversing of restoration may have been worth the effort.

The Daredevil looks like it was probably resubmitted until CGC missed the reglossing.

In my experience with GA one can usually get at least 60% of unrestored FMV for a slightly restored copy (no trimming) in the same grade at the 4.0-5.0 level, and frequently a little more, though it might take a bit more patience, so trading a 4.5 PLOD ( slight) for a 3.0 Blue may be close to a wash.

What do other board members think? Does CLink have an ethical or legal obligation to pull the book now that it's publicly known that CGC missed the re-glossing on the latest submission?