• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Indianapolis

72 posts in this topic

I just checked and pretty much the same celebrities are coming to the Cleveland Comic Con next weekend. Does not bode well for Cleveland if that show did not do well.

Conservative estimates for WW's Indy outing are 5k, total. Many hundreds of those were giveaways. The only box office line on Saturday was for the folks getting their radio listener promo passes.

Is it a commentary on the over-saturation of Wizard World shows? (seriously, how many of them are there now?)

Or maybe it says something about the viability of northern shows in the winter?

Or maybe there's just too many of them too close together in the same geographic area. Indy and Cleveland this close together? Kinda kills the appeal of drawing visitors from outside Indy if you have them that close together, doesn't it?

But that's just some really poor turn-out.

I think the over saturation of WW cons will be short lived.

From what I understand, the dealers didn't do all that well here in St. Louis, so I look for the number of quality dealers to dwindle, which it already did from year 1 to year 2.

I'm not into the guest list thing, but I looked at the celebrities and talent listed and it looks a little light. Although a guy I went to high school with is listed on their page as some sort of a featured guest creator, so I'm happy for him.

Who knows, maybe I'm way off.

Conservative estimates for WW's Indy outing are 5k, total. Many hundreds of those were giveaways. The only box office line on Saturday was for the folks getting their radio listener promo passes.

I took my girlfriend on Saturday to meet Karen Gillan. There was NO line for anything in the ticket room as you stated. The line for the press/etc. was halfway across the ticket room. Terrible show other than I got to see and talk to Stuart Sayger, Chris Hamer, and the CGC crew.

Not sure if anyone knew about Wizard being a publicly traded company or not. They touted it at various places around the show floor. Go check it out. It's a hoot.

We went on Saturday and yes it was sparse. Not much in offerings for comics and even less for graded comics. The other big dealer was Dave and Adams and Mr. Mike Carbonaro was there with them. I think ticket prices were what made it hard to swallow. Especially for Cosplay. Indy Comic Con was definitely better last year.

I don't understand this thread? You're reveling in their misfortune because ...? They're competition?

If one of your shows has a bad weekend, should we expect others to start thread laughing at that as well? I don't get the schadenfreude.

I for one, hate to see any show do bad. Comic cons have always been the back bone of this hobby. The best place to buy comics and to mingle with your friends and make new ones. In a lot of areas in this country, fans only get one a year.

I am not a fan of Wizard though. Insane ticket prices to only see cosplay and movie/TV people. I imagine dealer booths are priced high as well. That means a whole lot less dealers and collectors. The one in LA folded and there are tons of collectors in this town.

I don't understand this thread? You're reveling in their misfortune because ...? They're competition?

If one of your shows has a bad weekend, should we expect others to start thread laughing at that as well? I don't get the schadenfreude.

If Wizard wants to do an Indy show, it should do one in August, Sept or Oct. It probably would have done very well in that time frame. Instead, they tried to cut the legs out from the ICC. Cutthroat business tactic deserve schadenfreude, ridicule and negative energy. Our hobby/industry does not need them.

Mike I think his post was pretty obvious.

Attending these Wizard World shows are like a traveling circus that offers nothing if you see them at multiple cities nationally.

I would think WW will have short lived array of success of making money will all these cities, but come 2016 they will have to start doing less cities and just concentrate on the good cities. I assume 25% of their tour now will not be there in the coming years.

Mike I think his post was pretty obvious.

Attending these Wizard World shows are like a traveling circus that offers nothing if you see them at multiple cities nationally.

I would think WW will have short lived array of success of making money will all these cities, but come 2016 they will have to start doing less cities and just concentrate on the good cities. I assume 25% of their tour now will not be there in the coming years.

I don't argue with anything you say. Wizard is too spread out. Too many shows. Not enough variety between shows. I fully expect them to fail in a number of cities where they've expanded.

I set up there. Was dead friday, really dead. It was so dead, ww atlanta had more attendance on friday. Nobody was buying either. On saturday had a few people look at higher dollar books. One person asked what i had on a hulk 181 6.0 slab. Knowing he wasnt going to buy it i said $600, he said cool let me walk around the room and i might be back. Never came back. Another was for $600 worth of books. Told him i would take $300. Said he would think about it. lol. By sunday i stopped trying to give deals. Attendance was dead in indy all 3 days.