• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Article on buyer beware for comics

39 posts in this topic

Apparently, even after years of his complaining that conservation and restoration aren't the same, Mr. Tomorrows Treasures gets his way BUT still has books which he says are conserved, but which grade PLOD!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/clt/4891635110.html

all I can say is.........wait for it.................. :facepalm:

Apparently, even after years of his complaining that conservation and restoration aren't the same, Mr. Tomorrows Treasures gets his way BUT still has books which he says are conserved, but which grade PLOD!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/clt/4891635110.html

all I can say is.........wait for it.................. :facepalm:

The guy on CL says he got a green "restored" label. doh!

(shrug)

From your link

Mr "Muchin" assured me that his adding "rice paper" to some seals was only conservation to the vintage comic and not restoration.

From CGC new conservation policy July 1, 2014

ntroduction of the Conservation Scale

Specific repairs done to improve the structural integrity and long-term preservation of a comic book will now be classified as “conservation” and designated with a blue / purple label. These repairs include tear seals, support, staple replacement, piece reattachment and certain kinds of cleaning.

Because all conservation repairs must be professionally done and slight in nature (A-1), the label will simply say “Conservation” with no designation of quality or quantity on the label.

The guy got a purple label and of course Tomorrow's Treasures is selling restored books. He adds rice paper to the comics (basically leaf casting in some way) and says he is conserving them. Yada yada yada he's full of it. It's restored and that's why he hates CGC among other reasons that I made the mistake one time asking him for giggles

I don't believe the guy is a bad guy...he's socially awkward, weird and definitely from the 1970s on comics. I bought something from him once...returned it and avoid at all costs.

The guy got a purple label and of course Tomorrow's Treasures is selling restored books. He adds rice paper to the comics (basically leaf casting in some way) and says he is conserving them. Yada yada yada he's full of it. It's restored and that's why he hates CGC among other reasons that I made the mistake one time asking him for giggles

I don't believe the guy is a bad guy...he's socially awkward, weird and definitely from the 1970s on comics. I bought something from him once...returned it and avoid at all costs.

Well the OP clearly knows about the restored vs. conserved distinction - then offers us this 'buyer beware' thread that refers to a CL ad that gets just about everything wrong about the change. (like your post :baiting: )

If the point of this thread is to say Tomorrow's Treasures "won" by getting CGC to budge on policy but missed something other than the "conserved" tear seals?? This CL ad isn't a great way to prove the point he's trying to make, the guy whining on CL doesn't seem very credible to me. :screwy:

01212_7XcLhakjZTH_600x450.jpg

Mixing any mention of Richie and CGC is like oil and water.

He does his thing, has his belief behind it and that's pretty much it. I wouldn't fault him for that... it's just valuable knowledge to have if you're dealing with him.

Well the OP clearly knows about the restored vs. conserved distinction - then offers us this 'buyer beware' thread that refers to a CL ad that gets just about everything wrong about the change. (like your post :baiting: )

If the point of this thread is to say Tomorrow's Treasures "won" by getting CGC to budge on policy but missed something other than the "conserved" tear seals?? This CL ad isn't a great way to prove the point he's trying to make, the guy whining on CL doesn't seem very credible to me. :screwy:

What?

The CL ad showed a book he bought from TTs and it came back purple label. Not a blue purple label of conserved.

How am I wrong? Please explain

What?

The CL ad showed a book he bought from TTs and it came back purple label. Not a blue purple label of conserved.

How am I wrong? Please explain

OK let me try again.

I think if you're going to make the assertion that he sells restored books as conserved books, it would be stronger if something beyond a "conserved" process (tear seals) was clearly pointed out ie - visible on the label

My understanding from the link I posted earlier on CGC's policy is that the belief that "purple equals restored" has changed somewhat & the way I read it the things described or lower on the resto scale might get blue labels & be marked as "conserved" when it's like an A-1 resto.

Here's a possibly better link to the old/new restoration vs conservation policy.

I'm just rereading some of this again, because I don't want stuff with work done to it anyways. :sumo:

The work has to be professionally done to get the conserved label.

That's a whole 'nother can o' worms. :D

How valid is that restriction when there's an enforcement bias on the part of the grading company & the status of being a professional is not attached to something attained through specific achievement in education.

:shy:

How valid is that restriction when there's an enforcement bias on the part of the grading company & the status of being a professional is not attached to something attained through specific achievement in education.

Good point. Is it just certain companies that they recognize? Is there a list of these companies anywhere? Does the comic have to come directly from that company? Anyone know?

I think if part of your resume reads something like this, they will approve you.....

Assistant to the chief paper conservator at The Museum of Modern Art, Paris 1980

Restored 36 original drawings by Picasso which were on view at his centennial retrospective in Munich, 1981

Restoration of other key 19th and 20th century artists.

EDUCATION

L'Ecole du Louvre, Paris, France. 1979-1981

Art History diploma with a specialization in Islamic Art and Architecture.

Manhattanville College, Purchase, NY. 1976 -1978

Bachelor of Arts in Art History and French

University of MA, Amherst. 1974-1976

Sure, she's in & I'm not questioning anyone's specific credentials - I just don't know of any leaf casting classes at the local college.

So is it specific approved companies, persons?

Is it the report of work done being submitted with the book or is there a necessity for an exchange of services for money or can people do the work themselves & the "professional" aspect of it is judged by the quality of the work done on the book before the graders/resto detectors.

Wait, wasn't the lady that did THIS considered a legit art conservationist (or whatever the title is)

botchpainting.gif

I think quality and education have to be balanced in most cases. Even the best trained people might still suck.