• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Values in the Distant Future - Action #1 for $10M or $10?

43 posts in this topic

A friend of mine and I were talking this morning about old toy trains. (Lionel, Marklin you know...) Most of the people who collect these trains are older guys who saw monster steam engines in person when they were kids. It got me thinking about comics. A hundred years from now will someone pay over $3M for a copy of Action Comics #1? Will anyone care about Superman, Batman or the X-Men? Or will Action #1 sell for $10M?

What about "cheaper" books. Heritage sold this book last night, Animated Comics #nn, for almost a thousand bucks. Is that going to hold up?

Hulk 181, HOS 92, or, dare I say, Batman Adventures #12 in CGC 9.8?? ( $1475 recently for that one.) The list could go on and on.

Just curious what you all think. Me? I don't see these values holding up for the lesser stuff. For Superman, Spiderman and Batman...I could see it lasting...maybe. But it's a pretty murky crystal ball when sales of books in the thousands of dollars and up are so common place today. When all the older collectors are gone...so is the nostalgia. It will not be the same.

My two cents...

My crystal ball says:

100 yrs: comics like AC 1 and AF15 will still be pricey (even accounting for inflation) but there will be a decline in demand and thus price over the next 50yrs which will level off for the next 200 yrs. then, when most copies have been lost to decomposition and the elements in about 400 yrs, the few remaining copies will be priceless and museum pieces only possibly exceeded by the remaining OA. I think AF 15's OA is in the Library of Congress. I'm sure many final remaining copies will end up as Museum pieces as the preservation requirements will be extreme. Who knows, it might end up like antique furniture or 100 yr old scotch.

Comics like IH 181 might have staying power but only if the characters remain as iconic as Superman or Spider-man. BA 12 is going to crash and burn.

And comics with Stan Lee's autographs will be worth even less after he is dead and no longer relevant. While authenticated Ditko's and Kirby's may remain strong but they too will eventually lose their value.

The superhero movie bubble is going to burst at one point. When that happens, I think a lot of these killer books will lose some of their value. Action Comics 1, Tec 27, and AF 15 might retain a lot of their value because they inform more than just the hobby and have influenced culture itself.

However, I do believe a drop in value is coming to the hobby. Maybe not as severe as sports cards in the mid 1990s, but still a drop nonetheless.

Chances are that I won't be around in 200 years and I'm fairly confident my collection will have been sold off.

I'll have a punt on this as well.

A friend of mine and I were talking this morning about old toy trains. (Lionel, Marklin you know...) Most of the people who collect these trains are older guys who saw monster steam engines in person when they were kids. It got me thinking about comics. A hundred years from now will someone pay over $3M for a copy of Action Comics #1? Will anyone care about Superman, Batman or the X-Men? Or will Action #1 sell for $10M?

Like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I clicked on the Affiliate link and earned you a tenth of a cent. :censored:

And comics with Stan Lee's autographs will be worth even less after he is dead and no longer relevant. While authenticated Ditko's and Kirby's may remain strong but they too will eventually lose their value.

There are no authenticated Ditko's or Kirby's.

How do you figure that out?

How do you figure that out?

I was going to say.

Can PSA provide a COA for these too?

Like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I clicked on the Affiliate link and earned you a tenth of a cent. :censored:

eBay's Affiliate Program Frequently Asked Questions

I think Arch needs to add a new rule regarding Affiliate Links. This is nothing but spam.

Please be careful as you will be responsible for complying with all terms of use applicable to these third party sites if you share Links or Promotional Content on them.

Here's his game plan...pretty obvious by now...

What should I focus on to drive more earnings?

The websites and social pages that do the best with eBay Partner Network excel at creating a great user experience. Optimization tips include:

Develop relevant copy and regularly update it.

Encourage user-generated content, such as product reviews.

Integrate eBay listings into your site, as this generally performs better than static creative or text links by themselves, unless text links are embedded into relevant content. Use the data you have about your visitors' demographics and interests to showcase the most relevant listings.

Always inform a user they are going to eBay.

Use the geo-targeting functionality to ensure your traffic is directed to the most relevant eBay site.

Consider which landing page on eBay you direct your traffic to carefully; the eBay homepage is not always the best option.

Use Advanced Search options to further target your landing pages.

Target new users.

Continually measure, test, analyze and optimize.

What about "cheaper" books. Heritage sold this book last night, Animated Comics #nn, for almost a thousand bucks. Is that going to hold up?

Hulk 181, HOS 92, or, dare I say, Batman Adventures #12 in CGC 9.8?? ( $1475 recently for that one.) The list could go on and on.

Just curious what you all think. Me? I don't see these values holding up for the lesser stuff. For Superman, Spiderman and Batman...I could see it lasting...maybe. But it's a pretty murky crystal ball when sales of books in the thousands of dollars and up are so common place today. When all the older collectors are gone...so is the nostalgia. It will not be the same.

My two cents...

Well, they used to be Ebay's two cents before you affiliate click baited. :golfclap:meh

I will most likely be dead within the next sixty years. I won't care in the slightest what happens to the books, the people that take them or the hobby.

I will be worried whether or not I will be going up or down.