• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Values in the Distant Future - Action #1 for $10M or $10?

43 posts in this topic

Like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I clicked on the Affiliate link and earned you a tenth of a cent. :censored:

Actually, you earned me nothing, as in $0.00 when you clicked on the link. If you click on an affiliate link, then buy something...that's when someone *might* get a commission. It all depends when the transaction occurs after the click. How much extra does that cost you when a commission is paid? Once again, zero, nothing, nada, zip, $0.00.

As an aside - affiliate links and their cousins are what make the internet work. It's why Google has $60B in cash. It's also why I can read the news for free online, etc.

I try my best to add value to the discussion in my posts that have links in them (in all my posts actually)...if I fail to do that, that's on me. In this case, the question remains...will comic collecting go the way of stamp collecting, where the "guide" has prices in it that need to be divided by ten?

There is no doubt in my mind that by 2050 Action #1 will cost $10 mil.

The same as a cup of coffee.

Are we talking here about budget-priced, supermarket instant, or Starbucks, or the really expensive variety which was processed through the back end of a civet?

Like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I clicked on the Affiliate link and earned you a tenth of a cent. :censored:

Actually, you earned me nothing, as in $0.00 when you clicked on the link. If you click on an affiliate link, then buy something...that's when someone *might* get a commission. It all depends when the transaction occurs after the click. How much extra does that cost you when a commission is paid? Once again, zero, nothing, nada, zip, $0.00.

As an aside - affiliate links and their cousins are what make the internet work. It's why Google has $60B in cash. It's also why I can read the news for free online, etc.

I try my best to add value to the discussion in my posts that have links in them (in all my posts actually)...if I fail to do that, that's on me. In this case, the question remains...will comic collecting go the way of stamp collecting, where the "guide" has prices in it that need to be divided by ten?

You obviously have come here, not as a friend or fellow collector. You have been outed as a sneaky deceitful individual who will continue to bait us to click ebay links to benefit your agenda. If you insist, please make your spammy posts on Fridays so at least we all can benefit.

My take has always been that unless there is an apocalyptic war that breaks out, most comic books will continue to rise in value. It doesn't even matter If the "old collectors" aren't around anymore. There are plenty of young collectors who will keep the hobby well and alive, and who will also contribute to rising prices on books.

Why don't you go somewhere else with this nonsense? :eyeroll:

So basically, you're actually a bit like Jesus...you're actually helping us, but most of us are too blind to see it?

Who knew...

So basically, you're actually a bit like Jesus...you're actually helping us, but most of us are too blind to see it?

Who knew...

hrzzv.jpg

I fear that since comic collecting is based on nostalgia, and kids can't buy comics at the corner store any more, nor are comics aimed at kids, that eventually all the true comic lovers will just die off. Then the values will shift dramatically.

I'm sure many final remaining copies will end up as Museum pieces as the preservation requirements will be extreme.

I have some long term concerns about this myself. It's the pulp paper that's going to start doing us in.

I've got old paper from the 1840s (when it was still made of cotton rag) that looks far better than my comic interior pages from the 1940s. But when they started moving to pulp in the late 1870s... different story entirely. That stuff can get VERY brown and brittle even when moderate care was taken.

I think we're likely to have a very different view on conservation within the next decade than we do now.

I'm sure many final remaining copies will end up as Museum pieces as the preservation requirements will be extreme.

I have some long term concerns about this myself. It's the pulp paper that's going to start doing us in.

I've got old paper from the 1840s (when it was still made of cotton rag) that looks far better than my comic interior pages from the 1940s. But when they started moving to pulp in the late 1870s... different story entirely. That stuff can get VERY brown and brittle even when moderate care was taken.

I think we're likely to have a very different view on conservation within the next decade than we do now.

Without oxygen the process is minute. Remember the books at the bottoms of the mile high stacks sat for 40 years and still had brilliant white pages. I think I read you could still smell the ink.

Without oxygen the process is minute.

No. This is untrue.

"The role of oxidative degradation appears limited compared with acid hydrolysis, except in the presence of nitrogen oxide pollutants."

See:

http://www.loc.gov/preservation/care/deterioratebrochure.html

Look at bound volumes of newspapers from the 1880s-1920s which were stored airtight in libraries for decades. You will be surprised.

That's not to say that it's impossible to find nice old newsprint, but there are plenty of environmental factors involved.

Maybe in your next post you could just put a direct PayPal link where we could each give you $0.50 to thank you for getting a discussion going. As you can tell by the lack of activity in these forums, we desperately need "value adding" folks such as yourself.

I don't think comics will still be printed in 200 yrs. Technology keeps making things more convenient and easily accessible. Any books at your fingertips. I think print will become more and more of a collector's item. Maybe AC#1 may be a museum piece? I honestly wonder what will happen when the superhero movie is over. How many people who jumped onboard will still have interest. If people buy less, they print less, and focus more on digital print. Over time I can't see print sustaining itself. But that's just me and I can't sleep and it's 3:30am here.... So have at it.

I don't think comics will still be printed in 200 yrs. Technology keeps making things more convenient and easily accessible. Any books at your fingertips. I think print will become more and more of a collector's item. Maybe AC#1 may be a museum piece? I honestly wonder what will happen when the superhero movie is over. How many people who jumped onboard will still have interest. If people buy less, they print less, and focus more on digital print. Over time I can't see print sustaining itself. But that's just me and I can't sleep and it's 3:30am here.... So have at it.
I don't think comics will be printed after the next 20 years much less 200. lol

I don't think comics will be printed after the next 20 years much less 200. lol

Quite possible.

It may answer the question as to what to call the modern age of comics when it is no longer modern.

Perhaps the "Last Age". :(

Excluding major economical catastrophe or some global natural disaster, print still has more than 20 years in it. It may not be the predominant format, but there will definitely be comics. And books. And magazines. Unless a supervolcano explodes or the Earth gets struck by a comet or the global market enters a severe depression unlike the modern world has ever seen.

Excluding major economical catastrophe or some global natural disaster, print still has more than 20 years in it. It may not be the predominant format, but there will definitely be comics. And books. And magazines.

I'd be willing to bet that print growth outpaced digital growth in 2014 for many and perhaps most comic publishers.

I've got no idea on the actual time frame (nobody does), and I'm certainly not saying it won't happen, but digital overtaking print is in general farther away than people think it is. There's going to be a lot more futzing with the format before it happens.

Who knew...

Isn't that a Manfred Mann's Earth Band song ?