• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

But, Silver Age keys have always climbed in price. Go look at a 1980 price guide and see what Hulk 1 was valued at....see what it is today. See what it was in 1990. It has always climbed.

You are incorrect.

No sir you are incorrect. Show me where a SA mega key has declined in value since 1980. Instead of sweeping blanket statements...back it up with data. Every year OSPG would increase the price of keys like hulk 1, TOS 39, JIM 83, etc.ive not see

I showed earlier that since 2002 Hulk 181 has increased in value.

You love to tell people they are wrong but how about some substance behind your posting?

:baiting:

There is no SA mega key that has declined in value over 35 years. Or even 10 years. Probly not even 1 year.

I love a good gratuitous absolute sweeping statement as much as the next guy who loves to argue but this simply can't be true if you include all grades over all time.

I definitely agree the books are worth more over 5, 10, 20 , etc years, but there have been declines in there. It isn't a complete upward trend in all grades in all "mega" keys...

My only other thought would be that the term "key" (mega or otherwise) has changed over the last several decades as characters have come in and out of popularity. Especially when you extend the timeline beyond 15 years. Of course this isn't central to the argument but is worth noting.

Example of a decline?

The burden of proof really should be on you, but....

GPA on Incredible Hulk 1 2.5

2008 High = $2,225

2009 High = $2,050

2010 High = $2,000

2011 High = $1,912

Noted

But if the best example is a 4 year span with a like 15% decline I'm saying that's not very very very very very etc risky as an investment....

:shrug:

I don't disagree in principle. However this was the first book I checked and the second grade I viewed. I am sure there are many more examples.

Either way as safe as comic investment can be, Silver Mega Keys are blue chip.

Silver Mega Keys are maybe some of the safest picks in all the collectibles field.

I`m in about 10 hobbies, and have done extensive research in over 100 collectible fields. I did the extensive research to find out what would be a hot field to collect in like comic books.

The silver age Marvel chips look to be the best bet with long-term growth. They are getting discovered now by the mainstream masses.

They did go down in prices in the 1980s,but that was when just pure niche comic book guys collected, now the audience is bigger because of CGC,Ebay and the blockbuster movies.

What`s going on now is comics are being introduced to a newer,bigger and different kind of audience compared to the small 80s collector fan base

I`m sure in 5 years the Marvel Silver Age keys will be even more sought after, even the low and mid-graded ones.

Get any of the Silver Age keys you can now before more and more people find out about them.

Think of the Original 12 back Star Wars action figures.

5 years ago you could have got them for a song and dance.

If your trying to get them now you will pay double for what they were in 2009.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

In 5 years I've been here I have one small warning PM from a mod, and ZERO strikes.

Lucky.

Now I'm no innocent angel, but c'mon - after 5 years, nothing?

Very lucky.

How is that someone just looking to fight?

Sucker punch.

Invest heavily in Magic the gathering

If you know what you`re doing Magic and Lego will get you quick profits! :)

Don't know about Lego but I could definitely see MTG being this generations comics (at least as far as collectibles go.) My son (and a bunch of other nerdy sons) are playing and talking Magic now like I talked and traded comics when I was his age. When they grow up and have disposable income I could see the old cards picking up. The only issue is that the cards are "collected" now so there will be many high grade examples. So I guess maybe not.

Lego is huge now. I mean huge! Up there with coins as one of the most collected hobbies.

LEGOS as investments.

Magic`s getting there, but think of Magic on steroids when talking Lego participation of fan base.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Don't know about Lego but I could definitely see MTG being this generations comics (at least as far as collectibles go.) My son (and a bunch of other nerdy sons) are playing and talking Magic now like I talked and traded comics when I was his age. When they grow up and have disposable income I could see the old cards picking up. The only issue is that the cards are "collected" now so there will be many high grade examples. So I guess maybe not.

Lego is huge now. I mean huge! Up there with coins as one of the most collected hobbies.

LEGOS as investments.

Magic`s getting there, but think of Magic on steroids when talking Lego participation of fan base.

That my friends is so true. Legos are crazy priced. I don't go near them lol As far as what you said about 12 back SW carded figures, again true! I sold off my collection 3 years ago to put that money into comics. Cause I'd rather hold the loose figures then have them in a bubble. Comics at least I can get a TPB or other form and re-read them, and still have my Keys in a nice shiny slab. I still collect loose SW figures, and they are just as expensive as some minor/major keys.

LEGOS as investments.

I collect Lego vehicles and everything that has been "discontinued" has sky rocketed in price.

I am now to the point where I am considering buying two of everything when it comes out because you can flip most of it for >30% profit in a year.

I think they should make real vehicles out of legos that way after a crack up you just put it back together and drive off after round-kicking the guy who ran stop sign.

In 5 years I've been here I have one small warning PM from a mod, and ZERO strikes.

Lucky.

Very lucky.

Sucker punch.

You have nearly 5 times as many posts as me... this is MEGA Bullying!

Lucky.

Very lucky.

Sucker punch.

Aware bullying?

hm

Lucky.

Very lucky.

Sucker punch.

Aware bullying?

hm

You're a "Tiger" ;)