• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

I would guess this is where the differing views on if this is bullying would come from. rfoiii feels a power imbalance with RMA for some reason (join date?, number of posts?, raw intellect?). Whereas RMA just views it as two people posting on a chat board.

rfoii also sees bullying where nobody else does.

Isn't that kind of the point though? To some extent, isn't the most important thing how I feel about the situation (at least to me)? Or do my feelings not matter at all?

Side note - I am not sure "nobody" else does.

Perhaps he feels the use of sentence deconstruction (the method where these guys single out each sentence and respond to it) or his lack of having an ability to do so puts him at a tactical disadvantage when it comes to chat board disagreements? It's not easy to pull off, especially from a mobile device. I've tried it a few times and after half an hour I eventually just decided to go with an emoticon instead.

I would guess this is where the differing views on if this is bullying would come from. rfoiii feels a power imbalance with RMA for some reason (join date?, number of posts?, raw intellect?). Whereas RMA just views it as two people posting on a chat board.

Isn't that kind of the point though? To some extent, isn't the most important thing how I feel about the situation (at least to me)? Or do my feelings not matter at all?

How you feel is valid to you but perspective is important.

If you are used to feeling a certain way every time a certain word is used or a physical action is repeated but nobody else feels that way, that doesn't make how you feel any less valid but it does question whether or not those people are doing it to be personal or not.

Personally, I don't think CG was bullying. I just think he was internet debating.

Just look at some of the back and forth in other threads between people - same sort of thing.

Some people are just long winded and methodical and enjoy debating. It's not personal.

I've been a member of several forums and even spent yyears building my own.

While bullying can be used as a case of people interacting, i am going to agree with RMA.

Most people claiming cyber bullying are whining buttholes who need to stop and take a look at their thought process and what they are actually taking a stance on

That simply isn't true. People handle things differently, but that doesn't make bullying not exist. If anything it is worse online because people have no fear of repercussions due to the anonymous nature and physical separation of the Internet.

What you call "bullying" is simply people being people. You are abusing the word by applying it to people being "mean."

If one can readily confront, walk away from, or avoid the situation, they are not, under ANY circumstances, being "bullied."

I agree that you can argue about my interpretation of another's behavior and whether or not I should have feeled bullied. While ultimately it is about how the person feels about a situation that is important, it is subjective to outside parties.

However, being able to leave or avoid a situation or not has nothing to do with qualifying said situation as bullying. The act does not require a captive audience. That is your interpretation of "bullying" not an accurate definition or a fact.

straight out of wikipedia

If I said quoting a source which anyone can edit at any time, and which is legendary for fostering specific views while vociferously claiming not to, is the surest way to lose an argument, would that be bullying...?

hm

But yes, it does, in fact, require a captive audience. If someone calls me an individual_without_enough_empathy on the street, am I being bullied? No. I have complete control over the situation, regardless of the behavior of the other person.

If I am 8 years old, and the person calling me an individual_without_enough_empathy is a parent/guardian/authority figure...that's a completely different story.

You are misusing the words "bully", "bullying", and "bullied."

Teddy Roosevelt would not be pleased.

Stop, pick a source - they are all consistent.

Dictionary.com

The Free Dictionary

Bullying does not require a captive audience.

You are making personal opinion statements and trying to pass them off as if they are facts

I am not misusing or misinterpreting a word, you are. Plain and simple you are incorrect.

Look at those definitions you linked. Usage and meaning can, and does change over time. You are picking a point in time to try to prove your point. At one time, the word 'bully' meant a 'pimp'. At another time, it meant 'good fellow'

Who knew?

Read all the other definitions I used in the thread, including the numerous ones about "Internet Bullying."

I agree that if we are discussing my original accusation, there is interpretation to whether or not I am justified. I personal feel I was, but at this point that is irrelevant to the current discussion.

My discussion back and forth with RMA is that bullying does not require a captive audience and the fact that people can walk away from a conversation or their computer does not mean they were not or cannot be bullied in those situations. I am not picking a loose definition to meet my needs, I am stating that all cited materials (from the entire thread, not just the last few posts) confirm that bullying does not require a captive audience.

If you do something to me that would meet your definition of bullying (either face to face or over the internet) and I don't feel bullied as a result, is it bullying?

If you are used to feeling a certain way every time a certain word is used or a physical action is repeated but nobody else feels that way, that doesn't make how you feel any less valid but it does question whether or not those people are doing it to be personal or not.

Personally, I don't think CG was bullying. I just think he was internet debating.

Just look at some of the back and forth in other threads between people - same sort of thing.

Some people are just long winded and methodical and enjoy debating. It's not personal.

No fing kidding.

What's interesting is I've seen this type of stuff happen on other boards. Somebody types out a long post and then one or more people will parse out that post and make responses paragraph by paragraph. I've seen it go back and forth for a few posts and then it's not unusual for one of the two debaters to flip out and get offended.

I truly think some people aren't meant for the internet

No fing kidding.

+1

And somehow the glory of GSX 1 got lost in the shuffle. Therein lies the tragedy.

hm

Ignoring the discussion in this specific thread, adult cyber bullying is real.

stuff to read

more stuff to read

linky reading

reading linky

read link read

for link reading

Nonsense. Total tripe.

"Bullying" occurs when people are in abusive situations which they cannot, due to circumstance, readily escape. As a result, the vast, vast majority of actual victims of actual bullying are children, young teens, or the impaired, people who aren't capable of taking control of a situation by confronting it, walking away from it, or avoiding it altogether.

Calling people who are mean on the internet "bullies" does actual harm to actual victims of actual bullying, due to the Chicken Little syndrome. The word has been completely watered down, to the point where those who are really being bullied are eventually ignored due to wide scale overuse.

Now, we're raising vast swaths of people who think that anyone who challenges them in any conceivable way, whether the challenges is legitimate or not, is "bullying."

And that way lies madness.

If someone doesn't want to be "cyber bullied", the answers are simple: up one's rhetorical game, grow thicker skin, learn how to handle a challenge, don't let one's emotions get the upper hand, and if all else fails, go outside and enjoy real life for a while. Problem very effectively solved.

Do you feel better now?

I like to remain internally and externally consistent, so, no, because I don't let my feelings override my ability to reason.

Seriously, I can't think of a worse way to view a situation then to state that people who are feeling bullied should "toughen-up," "effectively learn how to better argue" or "leave." That point of view seems to be fueled by a sense of superiority and a "cull the weak" mentality. I don't know you well enough to actually guess at your motivations, but your last statement is extraordinarily elitist.

You've identified the problem in your first sentence right there: "FEELING bullied" (emphasis mine.)

You are misusing the word "bully." That's the sum of it completely. In addition, you want people to think about what they are feeling, rather than what actually is. Relying on feelings, which vary with the wind, and can change on a dime, is a very frustrating way to go through life.

If you want to be popular, tell people what they want to hear. If you want to be hated, tell them the truth.

As true now as it has ever been.

Regardless, besides the occasional chide at the discussion, most have let this go. What do you feel the need to come back and comment?

Here's some perspective: I didn't read this thread for the entire time between my last post, and about 40 minutes ago. So, the responses posted today are all new to me, and don't I have the right to respond as well...?

By the way...telling people to "let it go" is a passive/aggressive attempt to "win" the conversation, implying that anyone continuing to discuss the issue clearly has some sort of "hangup."

In effect: "Everyone else has moved on, what's wrong with you that you need to carry on the conversation (even though that didn't stop me from making my own responses, which I'll never admit to openly)?"

Everyone should be free to discuss whatever they wish, as long as they wish, with whomever they wish, within the limitations of the board guidelines, without fear of others trying to manipulate them into silence.

Don't you agree...?

You were complaining about "bullying", but then employing standard psychological manipulation to shame me into shutting up...?

Interesting.

hm

I wasn't try to shame you and you are just attempting to twist my words in a manner to frustrate me.

Look, I simply was stating the fact that the discussion had passed and you commented many hours later. Sure, you are free to do so, but you are clearly smart enough to see that most had moved on. If anything, someone should be reading into your motivations in knowingly stirring the pot hours after it settles.

I don't know what your true motivation is, but the things you are claiming about bullying and my interpretation are false. You are saying things that are untrue and using distraction tactics to discredit what I say and generally being difficult just for the sake of it.

We don't need to discuss this further unless you want, but at this point I do not see a need as we are clearly at an impasse.

OR what he could be trying to show you, if you look at it carefully from outside your own perspective, is that, using your rationale for what constitutes 'bullying', I could easily say that it was YOU who were bullying ME in this whole thing. And that it is YOU who are bullying RMA by using shaming manipulation to stop talking about it.

Or really, using the method you are employing to describe it, anytime anyone disagrees with someone's point on the internet, it's bullying. :eek:

Psychology teaches us that we can NEVER discount how someone FEELS, but, and this is the part that most people leave out, that doesn't mean it's VALID. There are people that hear voices, and it causes them REAL fear - it doesn't mean the voices are actually real.

You seem like an intelligent, sensitive person. I don't discount your feelings. If you feel intimidated by my posting style - so be it. I think you're mistaken, but, how you feel is how you feel. In the part of my heritage that is British, I will politely and sincerely say, "I apologize if my posting style makes you feel uneasy". I won't CHANGE it (that's the Irish side of me), but I certainly would feel remiss if I didn't recognize that it can at times rub some people the wrong way.

“The clash of ideas is not weakness.Truth reaches its place when tussling with error.”

― Richard Henry Pratt

"Just Gimme Some Truth"

― John Lennon

Nonsense. Total tripe.

"Bullying" occurs when people are in abusive situations which they cannot, due to circumstance, readily escape. As a result, the vast, vast majority of actual victims of actual bullying are children, young teens, or the impaired, people who aren't capable of taking control of a situation by confronting it, walking away from it, or avoiding it altogether.

Calling people who are mean on the internet "bullies" does actual harm to actual victims of actual bullying, due to the Chicken Little syndrome. The word has been completely watered down, to the point where those who are really being bullied are eventually ignored due to wide scale overuse.

Now, we're raising vast swaths of people who think that anyone who challenges them in any conceivable way, whether the challenge is legitimate or not, is "bullying."

If someone doesn't want to be "cyber bullied", the answers are simple: up one's rhetorical game, grow thicker skin, learn how to handle a challenge, don't let one's emotions get the upper hand, and if all else fails, go outside and enjoy real life for a while. Problem very effectively solved.

ortizgrand.gif

I applaud your choice of home run gif :applause:

I as well. David Ortiz rises to the challenge!

:cloud9:

I'm a Cardinals fan, but... I have to say.... Ortiz is a monster. The guy is amazing.

I will say this. As a kid, growing up being bullied, I'm glad their is this spotlight on bullying these days. I think that there should be a mechanism for people to turn to, if they feel they are being bullied, especially children. It's not fun at all being in that position.

The problem in this thread is the interpretation of what constitutes bullying.

Actually, I guess the problem in this thread is that we aren't talking about Giant Size X-Men #1 anymore :P

Edited by Jeffro™

No fing kidding.

+1

And somehow the glory of GSX 1 got lost in the shuffle. Therein lies the tragedy.

I know. I feel I still have more chastising coming my way for wanting one in 9.8 right now and how it wont be worth anything in 30 years, when I am probably dead and don't care

Nonsense. Total tripe.

Now, we're raising vast swaths of people who think that anyone who challenges them in any conceivable way, whether the challenge is legitimate or not, is "bullying."

ortizgrand.gif

I applaud your choice of home run gif :applause:

I as well. David Ortiz rises to the challenge!

:cloud9:

That Tigers series was so incredibly frustrating. I'm still amazed the Sox beat them.

Perhaps he feels the use of sentence deconstruction (the method where these guys single out each sentence and respond to it) or his lack of having an ability to do so puts him at a tactical disadvantage when it comes to chat board disagreements? It's not easy to pull off, especially from a mobile device. I've tried it a few times and after half an hour I eventually just decided to go with an emoticon instead.

Practice! Practice! Practice! lol

'long winded', hunh? hmlol

There really is only two choices right? You either quote the entire post on one block and respond or parse it out in blocks, responding to each piece as you go. The latter method would seem to make for a clearer discussion. (shrug)

'long winded', hunh? hmlol

Go Go Gower Power!

What's interesting is I've seen this type of stuff happen on other boards. Somebody types out a long post and then one or more people will parse out that post and make responses paragraph by paragraph. I've seen it go back and forth for a few posts and then it's not unusual for one of the two debaters to flip out and get offended.

I truly think some people aren't meant for the internet

To me, what's a zillion (and I mean a ZILLION) times worse, is when someone types out a long paragraph of something and then someone pulls out one small part of it to harp on for next 10 pages that has like 0.25% to do with the topic and totally messes up the whole conversation.

That's why nesting is the best form of discussion, amongst cunning linguists and master debaters.

You, Sir, have a way with words. Your writing is some of the best on these boards, and this is coming from a guy with a degree in English Lit (full disclosure: took me 5 1/2 years :insane:). It's probably a little intimadating to be staring down those carefully worded prose on the opposing side of a discussion. Bullying? Nah! Sometimes you just have to know when you're outmatched and move onto a different thread. Unless you know you're in the right. That's when you bust out the bourbon and dig in the trenches.

You, Sir, have a way with words. Your writing is some of the best on these boards, and this is comics from a guy with a degree in English Lit (full disclosure: took me 5 1/2 years :insane:). It's probably a little intimadating to be staring down those carefully worded prose on the opposing side of a discussion. Bullying? Nah! Sometimes you just have to know when you're outmatched and move onto a different thread. Unless you know you're in the right. That's when you bust out the bourbon and dig in the trenches.

Did someone say Bourbon? :D