• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

Perhaps he feels the use of sentence deconstruction (the method where these guys single out each sentence and respond to it) or his lack of having an ability to do so puts him at a tactical disadvantage when it comes to chat board disagreements? It's not easy to pull off, especially from a mobile device. I've tried it a few times and after half an hour I eventually just decided to go with an emoticon instead.

Practice! Practice! Practice! lol

allen-iverson.jpg

So moving on,

What is a fair price for a GXM in 9.8 these days? I noticed the eBay auction I was watching, the seller lowered his/her price by $250. Not a small drop.

So that makes me wonder just how inflated this particular book could be.

Perhaps he feels the use of sentence deconstruction (the method where these guys single out each sentence and respond to it) or his lack of having an ability to do so puts him at a tactical disadvantage when it comes to chat board disagreements? It's not easy to pull off, especially from a mobile device. I've tried it a few times and after half an hour I eventually just decided to go with an emoticon instead.

Practice! Practice! Practice! lol

allen-iverson.jpg

153411.jpg.6901a991539214ae7330fd148f70223d.jpg

Bullying doesn't necessarily require an audience. Often it does, where the abuser seeks empowerment by being seen to be dominant in front of an acquiescent crowd of their peers or subordinates, employing that to pressurise the victim into compliance with their demands, but it can often continue, one-on-one, at an isolated location where further abuse can't be observed or criticised by others. Playground versus staircase, for example.

I've experienced a lot of this behaviour.

hm

Ignoring the discussion in this specific thread, adult cyber bullying is real.

stuff to read

more stuff to read

linky reading

reading linky

read link read

for link reading

Nonsense. Total tripe.

"Bullying" occurs when people are in abusive situations which they cannot, due to circumstance, readily escape. As a result, the vast, vast majority of actual victims of actual bullying are children, young teens, or the impaired, people who aren't capable of taking control of a situation by confronting it, walking away from it, or avoiding it altogether.

Calling people who are mean on the internet "bullies" does actual harm to actual victims of actual bullying, due to the Chicken Little syndrome. The word has been completely watered down, to the point where those who are really being bullied are eventually ignored due to wide scale overuse.

Now, we're raising vast swaths of people who think that anyone who challenges them in any conceivable way, whether the challenges is legitimate or not, is "bullying."

And that way lies madness.

If someone doesn't want to be "cyber bullied", the answers are simple: up one's rhetorical game, grow thicker skin, learn how to handle a challenge, don't let one's emotions get the upper hand, and if all else fails, go outside and enjoy real life for a while. Problem very effectively solved.

Do you feel better now?

I like to remain internally and externally consistent, so, no, because I don't let my feelings override my ability to reason.

Seriously, I can't think of a worse way to view a situation then to state that people who are feeling bullied should "toughen-up," "effectively learn how to better argue" or "leave." That point of view seems to be fueled by a sense of superiority and a "cull the weak" mentality. I don't know you well enough to actually guess at your motivations, but your last statement is extraordinarily elitist.

You've identified the problem in your first sentence right there: "FEELING bullied" (emphasis mine.)

You are misusing the word "bully." That's the sum of it completely. In addition, you want people to think about what they are feeling, rather than what actually is. Relying on feelings, which vary with the wind, and can change on a dime, is a very frustrating way to go through life.

If you want to be popular, tell people what they want to hear. If you want to be hated, tell them the truth.

As true now as it has ever been.

Regardless, besides the occasional chide at the discussion, most have let this go. What do you feel the need to come back and comment?

Here's some perspective: I didn't read this thread for the entire time between my last post, and about 40 minutes ago. So, the responses posted today are all new to me, and don't I have the right to respond as well...?

By the way...telling people to "let it go" is a passive/aggressive attempt to "win" the conversation, implying that anyone continuing to discuss the issue clearly has some sort of "hangup."

In effect: "Everyone else has moved on, what's wrong with you that you need to carry on the conversation (even though that didn't stop me from making my own responses, which I'll never admit to openly)?"

Everyone should be free to discuss whatever they wish, as long as they wish, with whomever they wish, within the limitations of the board guidelines, without fear of others trying to manipulate them into silence.

Don't you agree...?

You were complaining about "bullying", but then employing standard psychological manipulation to shame me into shutting up...?

Interesting.

hm

I wasn't try to shame you and you are just attempting to twist my words in a manner to frustrate me.

Look, I simply was stating the fact that the discussion had passed and you commented many hours later. Sure, you are free to do so, but you are clearly smart enough to see that most had moved on. If anything, someone should be reading into your motivations in knowingly stirring the pot hours after it settles.

I don't know what your true motivation is, but the things you are claiming about bullying and my interpretation are false. You are saying things that are untrue and using distraction tactics to discredit what I say and generally being difficult just for the sake of it.

We don't need to discuss this further unless you want, but at this point I do not see a need as we are clearly at an impasse.

OR what he could be trying to show you, if you look at it carefully from outside your own perspective, is that, using your rationale for what constitutes 'bullying', I could easily say that it was YOU who were bullying ME in this whole thing. And that it is YOU who are bullying RMA by using shaming manipulation to stop talking about it.

Or really, using the method you are employing to describe it, anytime anyone disagrees with someone's point on the internet, it's bullying. :eek:

Psychology teaches us that we can NEVER discount how someone FEELS, but, and this is the part that most people leave out, that doesn't mean it's VALID. There are people that hear voices, and it causes them REAL fear - it doesn't mean the voices are actually real.

You seem like an intelligent, sensitive person. I don't discount your feelings. If you feel intimidated by my posting style - so be it. I think you're mistaken, but, how you feel is how you feel. In the part of my heritage that is British, I will politely and sincerely say, "I apologize if my posting style makes you feel uneasy". I won't CHANGE it (that's the Irish side of me), but I certainly would feel remiss if I didn't recognize that it can at times rub some people the wrong way.

“The clash of ideas is not weakness.Truth reaches its place when tussling with error.”

― Richard Henry Pratt

"Just Gimme Some Truth"

― John Lennon

I appreciate the recognition of my feelings and the apology in relation to my feelings. This was a well thought, well articulated post that did make me think. Thank you for that.

Perhaps I have been too quick to judge or throw terms out there and I too sincerely apologize for that.

Bullying doesn't necessarily require an audience. Often it does, where the abuser seeks empowerment by being seen to be dominant in front of an acquiescent crowd of their peers or subordinates, employing that to pressurise the victim into compliance with their demands, but it can often continue, one-on-one, at an isolated location where further abuse can't be observed or criticised by others. Playground versus staircase, for example.

Thank goodness that it's become a topic that's being addressed nationally, all the way down to a local level. As comic book fans, I'll bet there's a high percentage of people here that have been bullied in their lives, and I think we all are happy to see it get the attention that it deserves.

hm

Ignoring the discussion in this specific thread, adult cyber bullying is real.

stuff to read

more stuff to read

linky reading

reading linky

read link read

for link reading

Nonsense. Total tripe.

"Bullying" occurs when people are in abusive situations which they cannot, due to circumstance, readily escape. As a result, the vast, vast majority of actual victims of actual bullying are children, young teens, or the impaired, people who aren't capable of taking control of a situation by confronting it, walking away from it, or avoiding it altogether.

Calling people who are mean on the internet "bullies" does actual harm to actual victims of actual bullying, due to the Chicken Little syndrome. The word has been completely watered down, to the point where those who are really being bullied are eventually ignored due to wide scale overuse.

Now, we're raising vast swaths of people who think that anyone who challenges them in any conceivable way, whether the challenges is legitimate or not, is "bullying."

And that way lies madness.

If someone doesn't want to be "cyber bullied", the answers are simple: up one's rhetorical game, grow thicker skin, learn how to handle a challenge, don't let one's emotions get the upper hand, and if all else fails, go outside and enjoy real life for a while. Problem very effectively solved.

Do you feel better now?

I like to remain internally and externally consistent, so, no, because I don't let my feelings override my ability to reason.

Seriously, I can't think of a worse way to view a situation then to state that people who are feeling bullied should "toughen-up," "effectively learn how to better argue" or "leave." That point of view seems to be fueled by a sense of superiority and a "cull the weak" mentality. I don't know you well enough to actually guess at your motivations, but your last statement is extraordinarily elitist.

You've identified the problem in your first sentence right there: "FEELING bullied" (emphasis mine.)

You are misusing the word "bully." That's the sum of it completely. In addition, you want people to think about what they are feeling, rather than what actually is. Relying on feelings, which vary with the wind, and can change on a dime, is a very frustrating way to go through life.

If you want to be popular, tell people what they want to hear. If you want to be hated, tell them the truth.

As true now as it has ever been.

Regardless, besides the occasional chide at the discussion, most have let this go. What do you feel the need to come back and comment?

Here's some perspective: I didn't read this thread for the entire time between my last post, and about 40 minutes ago. So, the responses posted today are all new to me, and don't I have the right to respond as well...?

By the way...telling people to "let it go" is a passive/aggressive attempt to "win" the conversation, implying that anyone continuing to discuss the issue clearly has some sort of "hangup."

In effect: "Everyone else has moved on, what's wrong with you that you need to carry on the conversation (even though that didn't stop me from making my own responses, which I'll never admit to openly)?"

Everyone should be free to discuss whatever they wish, as long as they wish, with whomever they wish, within the limitations of the board guidelines, without fear of others trying to manipulate them into silence.

Don't you agree...?

You were complaining about "bullying", but then employing standard psychological manipulation to shame me into shutting up...?

Interesting.

hm

I wasn't try to shame you and you are just attempting to twist my words in a manner to frustrate me.

Look, I simply was stating the fact that the discussion had passed and you commented many hours later. Sure, you are free to do so, but you are clearly smart enough to see that most had moved on. If anything, someone should be reading into your motivations in knowingly stirring the pot hours after it settles.

I don't know what your true motivation is, but the things you are claiming about bullying and my interpretation are false. You are saying things that are untrue and using distraction tactics to discredit what I say and generally being difficult just for the sake of it.

We don't need to discuss this further unless you want, but at this point I do not see a need as we are clearly at an impasse.

OR what he could be trying to show you, if you look at it carefully from outside your own perspective, is that, using your rationale for what constitutes 'bullying', I could easily say that it was YOU who were bullying ME in this whole thing. And that it is YOU who are bullying RMA by using shaming manipulation to stop talking about it.

Or really, using the method you are employing to describe it, anytime anyone disagrees with someone's point on the internet, it's bullying. :eek:

Psychology teaches us that we can NEVER discount how someone FEELS, but, and this is the part that most people leave out, that doesn't mean it's VALID. There are people that hear voices, and it causes them REAL fear - it doesn't mean the voices are actually real.

You seem like an intelligent, sensitive person. I don't discount your feelings. If you feel intimidated by my posting style - so be it. I think you're mistaken, but, how you feel is how you feel. In the part of my heritage that is British, I will politely and sincerely say, "I apologize if my posting style makes you feel uneasy". I won't CHANGE it (that's the Irish side of me), but I certainly would feel remiss if I didn't recognize that it can at times rub some people the wrong way.

“The clash of ideas is not weakness.Truth reaches its place when tussling with error.”

― Richard Henry Pratt

"Just Gimme Some Truth"

― John Lennon

I appreciate the recognition of my feelings and the apology in relation to my feelings. This was a well thought, well articulated post that did make me think. Thank you for that.

Perhaps I have been too quick to judge or throw terms out there and I too sincerely apologize for that.

Cool.

See! Conversation and debate led us here!

Thank goodness that it's become a topic that's being addressed nationally, all the way down to a local level. As comic book fans, I'll bet there's a high percentage of people here that have been bullied in their lives, and I think we all are happy to see it get the attention that it deserves.

And this may bring up bad memories when someone feels attacked on a message board. Emotions are complex things to sort out, and if someone experiences similar internal reactions to different circumstances it is easy to see how one (being bullied in real life) could color one's perceptions in a different realm like an internet chatboard.

(tsk)

(tsk)

:sumo:

I can't believe we can say butthole.Great days.

I just spit water all over my screen. 1:36pm today you were excited that we could say butthole. Then 6 and half hours later your still excited. I'm sorry but that just cracks me up.

You're so excited about it. I love it.

butthole butthole

:roflmao:lol

Still quite excited.

And titmouse....heeheehee...