• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

I dont see variants sketch or otherwise as holding up long term. The market is flooded with them.

+1

Even if they are "rare" that does not make them valuable, particularly long term. Current comic collecting has been flooded with a large number of speculators who will drop out of collecting as soon as the movie "age of superheroes" is over. Variants, sketch covers and the like are set for far more of a price correction than key first appearances. Flipping short term for cash is great, but I wouldn't put them in the class of mutual funds...

Additionally, depending on the the book and where you have your IRA - one can greatly outpace the other in terms of ROI. It really is too broad of a generalization on either side to be accurate.

:hi:

The huge difference between comics and corporations as an investment is that corporations have earnings that add to their value as an investment over the years. Stocks tend to go up in value over the years due to those added earnings.

Buying stocks at an all time high when corporate earnings are also at an all time high is not as dangerous as buying a commodity at an all time high.

It may not be an awesome time to buy stocks, but those corporate earnings tend to bail out the long term stock investor. An AF15 doesn't have an earnings stream to do the same.

So your argument is buy low and sell high, then you go on to suggest buying mutual funds while the stock market is at an all time high?

If you like GSX 1, a 9.0 would be a great book to buy. You could easily get a copy with excellent eye appeal and a small flaw on the back cover. And to earlier posts, a much more stable pricing track record.

(thumbs u

I have a 9.0 that presents brilliantly, no observable flaws. Dave / Oakman has an excellent 9.0, as well.

DEFINITION OF 'INVESTMENT'

An asset or item that is purchased with the hope that it will generate income or appreciate in the future. In an economic sense, an investment is the purchase of goods that are not consumed today but are used in the future to create wealth. In finance, an investment is a monetary asset purchased with the idea that the asset will provide income in the future or appreciate and be sold at a higher price.

This argument is frustrating... Regardless of whether or not you feel comics are a good investment, they are an investment. You can argue that for you personally, as someone who is a purist and is planning on dying and being buried with your comics, that to you they are merely an emotionally valued object, they are not an investment. You can in no way argue that comics are not an investment for someone else.

Beanie Babies were an investment for some in the 90s. Yes a stupid, ill conceived investment, much like Penny stocks, but an investment nevertheless. Comics may either hold their value or not, depending upon the book, the market's appetite for the medium, the age, whatever, but they ARE an investment. I personally would invest heavily in pig lard...

I can't believe that such a simple question and topic has become such a convoluted controversy with attacks and counter attacks, accusations and personal vendettas. This thread became so stupidly off track with enough dumb psychology to fill several volumes.

I think there are several people here that should apologize for idiotic behaviour I haven't seen since grade school.

This is a forum where opinions are aired fair enough and differences can take place. I learned the hard way by being overly sensitive to comments made to me as a newbie. I've called people bullies here. But that was just me not being used to the culture. This is a tough forum no question. It can be very blunt in nature and sometimes insensitivity rules but I've found that to take things personally is silly. Hold your own and you will do ok. In the end you can always walk away.

I chose to stay.

Cheers, Howard

DEFINITION OF 'INVESTMENT'

An asset or item that is purchased with the hope that it will generate income or appreciate in the future. In an economic sense, an investment is the purchase of goods that are not consumed today but are used in the future to create wealth. In finance, an investment is a monetary asset purchased with the idea that the asset will provide income in the future or appreciate and be sold at a higher price.

This argument is frustrating... Regardless of whether or not you feel comics are a good investment, they are an investment. You can argue that for you personally, as someone who is a purist and is planning on dying and being buried with your comics, that to you they are merely an emotionally valued object, they are not an investment. You can in no way argue that comics are not an investment for someone else.

Beanie Babies were an investment for some in the 90s. Yes a stupid, ill conceived investment, much like Penny stocks, but an investment nevertheless. Comics may either hold their value or not, depending upon the book, the market's appetite for the medium, the age, whatever, but they ARE an investment. I personally would invest heavily in pig lard...

You just want to use it for mustache wax!

In a serious vein (yes,shocking,I know) MetalPSI,I wouldn't say a 9.8 is a great long term investment.With all the monkeying around(pressing,ect). That goes into making many of these,and really the tiniest difference in eye appeal it involves,the fact that a 9.6,9.4 ect can magically receive on a re sub,I have to agree with KenAldred and others...get one that looks great to you,save some bucks,and get another book you love with the savings.It is just a label after all.

Try and get a 9.6 with a notation that says 9.8? ..... ;)

Jimmers

I can't believe that such a simple question and topic has become such a convoluted controversy with attacks and counter attacks, accusations and personal vendettas. This thread became so stupidly off track with enough dumb psychology to fill several volumes.

I think there are several people here that should apologize for idiotic behaviour I haven't seen since grade school.

This is a forum where opinions are aired fair enough and differences can take place. I learned the hard way by being overly sensitive to comments made to me as a newbie. I've called people bullies here. But that was just me not being used to the culture. This is a tough forum no question. It can be very blunt in nature and sometimes insensitivity rules but I've found that to take things personally is silly. Hold your own and you will do ok. In the end you can always walk away.

I chose to stay.

Cheers, Howard

Stop being a bully,butthole! :baiting:

The thread has definitely highlighted significant shortcomings, Jimmers. For me, personally, it's the lack of stringency in the board's filter system, which still allows words such as 'vole' through. This can't go on, and I really should contact the moderators.

For the official record anything I have said (stupid or smart) has been of my own thoughtful or thoughtless creation. I really haven't been getting any advice, but I would be curious as to who your are referring.

Fair enough. It's been a common occurrence, so it wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure you are curious, but such information shared would only violate board rules, so I'll refrain at this time.

To the first point: "captive audience" or "readily escape" buzz words or not, I disagree with your opinion. Internet Bullying is a widely recognized problem that obviously allows for someone to "readily escape."

1. "Widely recognized problem" by whom? Who are these people that are widely recognizing it? Why are their opinions the valid ones? Most of Western civilization, including the elite, believed the world was a flat disc around which the sun, moon, and stars rotated a mere 600 years ago. Certainly, "wide recognition" isn't criteria for the validity of any position, no?

2. If one can readily escape the circumstances of unwanted behavior by others, then it is not, by definition, bullying. You're still missing this, even though several have said it: unpleasantness is not bullying. Meanness is not bullying. Criticism is not bullying. Challenging people's opinions is not bullying. Being a jerk is not bullying. Being a dooshbag is not bullying.

Yet, all those things are, and have been, classified as "bullying", by people who abuse the definition of the word.

3. This board is managed, on some levels, to within an inch of our lives. If a moderator gets even a whiff, a slight sniff, of what they think is "bullying", they will shut it down in a heartbeat. That makes all overt examples of aggressiveness or hostility a no go zone. That relegates most aggressive behavior to the covert, passive kind, which usually flies over the heads of most. To suggest someone is being bullied HERE, then, is a tremendous stretch. The only real, actual bullies on this board are those with real power and abuse it which, while fairly rare, does happen.

People are bullied when they are harassed by those who have power over them, and which they cannot confront, avoid, or readily escape. There MUST be a power dynamic involved, and there MUST be an inability, on some level, to get away from it.

That necessarily excludes the vast majority of adults, and it automatically excludes adult interactions on the internet.

I maintain that a person's ability to avoid a situation is not directly linked to whether or not they are or will be bullied.

How do you bully someone you can't get to...? That's contrary to how bullying works. It's not possible to bully someone who isn't there.

To the second point: of course there are opinions in debate. What I was stating was that your point of view ("readily escape") was not included in any modern definition of bullying I have read and that you were passing it off as fact.

Who makes up definitions? People. Am I not a person? Do you not accept my definition, because it doesn't agree with what you claim others have said? What makes those definitions "correct", and others wrong?

"Passing off your opinion as fact" sounds impressive, but it has no meaning. What you call "passing off your opinion as fact" is what everyone does in a discussion. They just don't call it that. They call it "having a discussion."

What you are claiming doesn't exist.

Did I say "This is my opinion, and it is also a fact"?

If not, and I didn't, how can you make the claim otherwise?

I am "passing my opinion off as fact", if that can even be claimed, because I believe my opinion is correct...as you do, yours. Again: does that mean you're passing YOUR opinion off "as fact"? The question is compelling, is it not...? A fact is demonstrable, it is observable; it is not dependent on "consensus", regardless of the status of the members of that consensus.

We don't need to argue semantics, clearly I am stating that I disagree with your claim and I am supporting my position with outside references - you are not.

The presence of outside references doesn't necessarily prove or disprove any position. I have had several others in this very thread support my position. Are they wrong, because they don't have the pedigree of your references? I don't need outside references to support my position; A. I've supported it sufficiently by itself. I don't need others to agree with me, to validate what I'm saying, and B. we're not discussing anything that's quantifiable.

To the last point: I am citing outside materials as basis of a statement of fact (bullying and situational physical restraint are not directly linked).

I didn't say anything about "physical restraint." You can't make things up, attribute them to me, and then argue against those made up points.

If what I have provided isn't enough to support it as fact, I am not sure what is. I am fallible as I am human, but I do try to delineate between fact (or what is accepted as fact by public consensus and science/observation based evidence) and opinion.

Facts are observable, they exist, they are not dependent on opinion. Definitions are, by definition, opinion. Definitions change over time and space. The very definition of the word "bully" has changed over the last 100 years. And as I said earlier, consensus does not a fact make.

And none of that has to do with "presenting one's opinions as fact."

Either way we can clearly agree to disagree on this one. However, I do hope you reconsider your POV on the subject, even if it is privately.

And I, you. Encouraging people to think of themselves as victims may seem "compassionate", but it eventually cripples them.

And while I love a good session in the weeds, we have gone very far afield from the original topic, so now's as good a time as any to bow out for now. This has been a GREAT conversation, bringing up important issues that impact a lot of people. Whether we agree or not, much of the benefit comes from the discussion itself, regardless of the conclusion.

:)

"unpleasantness is not bullying. Meanness is not bullying. Criticism is not bullying. Challenging people's opinions is not bullying. Being a jerk is not bullying. Being a dooshbag is not bullying."

Unless it's like 10 guys doing it-especially if to a new guy-then it's bullying.

I chose to stay.

Cheers, Howard

:D