• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

So your argument is buy low and sell high, then you go on to suggest buying mutual funds while the stock market is at an all time high?

I suggested spending money in better ways, you attacked me. I made a point on how I look at things. You getting upset and name calling on a message board suggests that I may have made a valid point. I am going to take this no further, so please continue to name call and chat on this matter. You will only be talking with yourself.

Planning on going to Comic Con? We can meet and chat then if you would like?

PS. My Metals went to all time high in 2011-2013

2013 was an awful year to be in metals, but I'm sure you meant you made money by buying put options on all of the precious metal ETFs.

Look, I have no problem with stocks. But if you are going to come to a comic book chat forum and tell everyone how stupid they are for buying comics and how brilliant you are for buying stocks at least have the cajones to name one stock or one mutual fund that you think can outperform my stack of FP 1's.

I Never called anyone stupid. What are you talking about? When it comes to financial, you have to do your own DD. At no time did I offer any advice. I just stated a person can put money in other things. I gave a few examples,

You guys love your comics. I love the ones that I buy for myself. I treasure them as much as the next guy. I only collect one comic line. So I only know whats worth of what I have. I made money in other revenues to pay for my books, and to have nice books. I am not turning this into a "Spoon" size competition.

I will live my life, you and everyone else can live theirs. I think its wonderful you have such nice books. Things you treasure and your right to enjoy them.

Seriously, please hope you have a good day and enjoy.

So your argument is buy low and sell high, then you go on to suggest buying mutual funds while the stock market is at an all time high?

I suggested spending money in better ways, you attacked me. I made a point on how I look at things. You getting upset and name calling on a message board suggests that I may have made a valid point. I am going to take this no further, so please continue to name call and chat on this matter. You will only be talking with yourself.

2013 was an awful year to be in metals, but I'm sure you meant you made money by buying put options on all of the precious metal ETFs.

Look, I have no problem with stocks. But if you are going to come to a comic book chat forum and tell everyone how stupid they are for buying comics and how brilliant you are for buying stocks at least have the cajones to name one stock or one mutual fund that you think can outperform my stack of FP 1's.

I Never called anyone stupid. What are you talking about? When it comes to financial, you have to do your own DD. At no time did I offer any advice. I just stated a person can put money in other things. I gave a few examples,

You guys love your comics. I love the ones that I buy for myself. I treasure them as much as the next guy. I only collect one comic line. So I only know whats worth of what I have. I made money in other revenues to pay for my books, and to have nice books. I am not turning this into a "Spoon" size competition.

I will live my life, you and everyone else can live theirs. I think its wonderful you have such nice books. Things you treasure and your right to enjoy them.

....you've been on here for 5 years now.... haven't you realized yet that logic and common sense are not welcome 'round these parts :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Mutual funds are long term. Yes market is high. But would put my mutual funds against what ever comic collection you have anyday. Let's see who gets money

Put your money where your mouth is, windbag!

Gauntlet thrown!

where is the 9.8 blazer .? Nice hoard.

Mutual funds are long term. Yes market is high. But would put my mutual funds against what ever comic collection you have anyday. Let's see who gets money

Put your money where your mouth is, windbag!

Gauntlet thrown!

where is the 9.8 blazer .? Nice hoard.

I was asleep at the wheel a couple Comiclink auctions ago, my man, or else I would have one. I also tried to CPR a 9.2 I thought had a shot, but it came back lower than the original grade :(

I've got maybe another 4 raws but the nicest is 9.0 at best. I really like the character. For his prominence in the DC universe Darkseid has yet to really go mainstream.

What would the starting valuation of the FP 1's be? It doesn't appear to be a book that has a locked in value quite like a IH181 or a GSX1. The last GPA on the 9.6's was $741, but there was one in Comiclink recently that went for $550.

If market value is between those two, I'll take SPY to outperform them over the next 10 years.

What would the starting valuation of the FP 1's be? It doesn't appear to be a book that has a locked in value quite like a IH181 or a GSX1. The last GPA on the 9.6's was $741, but there was one in Comiclink recently that went for $550.

If market value is between those two, I'll take SPY to outperform them over the next 10 years.

I'll take $650 cost basis on 9.6 vs SPY for 24 months. Name the stakes.

How about we each donate $100 to charity of the winners choice?

http://investmentwatchblog.com/many-of-the-largest-charities-in-america-are-giant-money-making-scams/

According to the investigation mentioned above, the following are the ten worst charities in America and the percentage of money that is donated to those organizations that actually goes to help people…

1. Kids Wish Network (2.5%)

2. Cancer Fund of America (0.9%)

3. Children’s Wish Foundation International (10.8%)

4. American Breast Cancer Foundation (5.3%)

5. Firefighters Charitable Foundation (8.4%)

6. Breast Cancer Relief Foundation (2.2%)

7. International Union of Police Associations (0.5%)

8. National Veterans Service Fund (7.8%)

9. American Association of State Troopers (8.6%)

10. Children’s Cancer Fund of America (5.3%)

Read more at http://investmentwatchblog.com/many-of-the-largest-charities-in-america-are-giant-money-making-scams/#AWJYs5QMhR9YDBkl.99

http://investmentwatchblog.com/many-of-the-largest-charities-in-america-are-giant-money-making-scams/

According to the investigation mentioned above, the following are the ten worst charities in America and the percentage of money that is donated to those organizations that actually goes to help people…

1. Kids Wish Network (2.5%)

2. Cancer Fund of America (0.9%)

3. Children’s Wish Foundation International (10.8%)

4. American Breast Cancer Foundation (5.3%)

5. Firefighters Charitable Foundation (8.4%)

6. Breast Cancer Relief Foundation (2.2%)

7. International Union of Police Associations (0.5%)

8. National Veterans Service Fund (7.8%)

9. American Association of State Troopers (8.6%)

10. Children’s Cancer Fund of America (5.3%)

Read more at http://investmentwatchblog.com/many-of-the-largest-charities-in-america-are-giant-money-making-scams/#AWJYs5QMhR9YDBkl.99

That's why after I win I'm going to either pick my local church or NORML.

....you've been on here for 5 years now.... haven't you realized yet that logic and common sense are not welcome 'round these parts :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+1

Deaf ears...

Edited by Mr. Hog

The problem is that I don't consider 24 months to be a meaningful amount of time from an investment standpoint. Five years is about the shortest timeframe I consider investments in.

How would we determine the end value for the 9.6?

The problem is that I don't consider 24 months to be a meaningful amount of time from an investment standpoint. Five years is about the shortest timeframe I consider investments in.

How would we determine the end value for the 9.6?

It's $100 for charity, man. I'd do mean, 12 month GPA sale (the sale closest to the middle of the range in 9.6, higher of the 2 middle sales in the event of an even number of sales) as of 3/1/17.

Fair enough. I think you just described the median sale, though, not the mean. Given that there aren't generally a ton of sales, the mean might be better though. It also has the advantage of being calculated right in GPA. So we could just take the 12 month GPA average on 3/1/17. Does that sound good?

My reluctance is not the stakes. My reluctance to the shorter bet is that it becomes more speculation than investment. I'm trying to show that comics are not a great long-term investment. They happen to be a great vehicle for speculation, though. The shorter the time frame, the less likely it is that my point will be made.

So our bet will be $100 to the charity of the winner's choice, to be settled on 3/1/17.

My side-

SPY, current quote 210.66

Yours-

Forever People #1, CGC 9.6, current value stipulated as $650

Don't forget, I'll have two years of dividends to add in if it is close :)

It's $100 for charity, man. I'd do mean, 12 month GPA sale (the sale closest to the middle of the range in 9.6, higher of the 2 middle sales in the event of an even number of sales) as of 3/1/17.

Fair enough. I think you just described the median sale, though, not the mean. Given that there aren't generally a ton of sales, the mean might be better though. It also has the advantage of being calculated right in GPA. So we could just take the 12 month GPA average on 3/1/17. Does that sound good?

My reluctance is not the stakes. My reluctance to the shorter bet is that it becomes more speculation than investment. I'm trying to show that comics are not a great long-term investment. They happen to be a great vehicle for speculation, though. The shorter the time frame, the less likely it is that my point will be made.

So our bet will be $100 to the charity of the winner's choice, to be settled on 3/1/17.

My side-

SPY, current quote 210.66

Yours-

Forever People #1, CGC 9.6, current value stipulated as $650

Don't forget, I'll have two years of dividends to add in if it is close :)

Since its for charity I'm down with whatever, and you are correct. I meant the median sale. It's been a while since 8th grade. :insane:

But for arguments sake, why don't we just do the most recent gpa sale of the book prior to 3/1/17? That's the most similar calculation to the closing price of SPY on 3/1/17. Both prices are based on the closest data to the end of the contest.

I'm not sure I'd bet against Sean, Kav. He's pretty sharp. I do love me some Walking Dead though. And it's nice that Carl finally got laid.

As for my wager with Hamlet, I'm going to cut out of this thread and start a new thread for it. That way I can update it periodically with stats, rants and what not. Anyone with any thoughts, opinions, insults, etc is welcome to chime in.

I just can't see collectors going I don't want this key book anymore-the show's over....