• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, the blob said:

Just remembering this thread and how I mostly got out of the stock market in September 2018 thinking we'd be in for a 30-50% crash. I know we were down at the end of 2018, but I kept on waiting thinking all the madness in Washington would surely tank the market, at which time I would get back in. Meanwhile I lost the opportunity to pick up about 30% on my 401K in 2019. Not going to say how much $ that would have been, but let's say I am depressed. Probably sets my retirement planning back 2-3 years, possibly worse.

At the risk of crossing the dreaded political line - The mistake people will continue to make until the end of time is believing political "theater" will negatively affect economic performance. The two are almost completely divorced from one another. Only in the very very rare event of a leadership shakeup like in '74 could  be an exception. But that outcome requires certain political circumstances (that I can't get into here) which don't currently exist. So that being the case what you're left with is a whole lot of theater.

That being said the economic lesson of 2006 should never fade but inevitably human nature will allow it to. The same pitfalls are as present today as were then. Maybe worse. Any investment decision I make has very little to do with Washington. Has everything to do with cautious assessments of both the stock itself along with macro economic factors positive AND negative. Just my view but I never get too exuberant (get all in) or too gloomy (sell everything no matter what). Slow diversified and steady wins the race 2c

This is why I like comics more than stocks. When emotional attachment is involved I think it can serve as a hedge against economic perils.

On 9/21/2018 at 4:12 PM, delekkerste said:

my one CGC 9.6 copy that I picked up probably around 2002 or 2003 (I paid $3K...it hasn't even doubled in price since then, has it?)

Yes

5 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:
On 9/21/2018 at 1:12 PM, delekkerste said:

my one CGC 9.6 copy that I picked up probably around 2002 or 2003 (I paid $3K...it hasn't even doubled in price since then, has it?)

Yes

Yes, it has or Yes, it hasn't?  (shrug)

9 hours ago, the blob said:

Just remembering this thread and how I mostly got out of the stock market in September 2018 thinking we'd be in for a 30-50% crash. I know we were down at the end of 2018, but I kept on waiting thinking all the madness in Washington would surely tank the market, at which time I would get back in. Meanwhile I lost the opportunity to pick up about 30% on my 401K in 2019. Not going to say how much $ that would have been, but let's say I am depressed. Probably sets my retirement planning back 2-3 years, possibly worse.

The only thing you should take away from the experience is 1. Don't listen to internet experts and make decisions about things you read or hear from any one particular person and 2. Nobody knows what the future holds except the few 1% that manipulate the markets lol

As a funny aside to the 'investing in GSX1' topic above someone bought a CGC 9.6 , there is an average sale price for that today of $6,750.   I bought a 9.4 copy only two years ago and it also has doubled in that time period.  Like the stock market example above, it's less about how long you hold and more about when you entered the market.  Those who bought in with their GSX1 right before the disney/x-men merger announcement bought at the perfect time.  

Edited by 90sChild

Well, it looks like Gene was correct that it hadn't yet doubled since he made his comment back in 2018 when the average realized price was only at $4,838.  :gossip:

Looks like most of the action to take the prices up to and past the $6K target took place in 2019 due probably to Disney reacquiring back the movie rights for X-Men. (shrug)

6 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

At the risk of crossing the dreaded political line - The mistake people will continue to make until the end of time is believing political "theater" will negatively affect economic performance. The two are almost completely divorced from one another. Only in the very very rare event of a leadership shakeup like in '74 could  be an exception. But that outcome requires certain political circumstances (that I can't get into here) which don't currently exist. So that being the case what you're left with is a whole lot of theater.

That being said the economic lesson of 2006 should never fade but inevitably human nature will allow it to. The same pitfalls are as present today as were then. Maybe worse. Any investment decision I make has very little to do with Washington. Has everything to do with cautious assessments of both the stock itself along with macro economic factors positive AND negative. Just my view but I never get too exuberant (get all in) or too gloomy (sell everything no matter what). Slow diversified and steady wins the race 2c

This is why I like comics more than stocks. When emotional attachment is involved I think it can serve as a hedge against economic perils.

Yes

Politics definitely affects the economy.  I guarantee you that with the middle east turmoil overnight, gas will spike tomorrow and the Dow will drop. 

37 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Politics definitely affects the economy.  I guarantee you that with the middle east turmoil overnight, gas will spike tomorrow and the Dow will drop. 

I meant that in terms of Washington political squabbling not geopolitical turmoil that can impact markets. When's the last time a Washington political dispute really hurt the market or the economy?

Dow takes a dive one day then a certain someone winks at China and presto!... Back to the surge. By no means am I saying that makes sense just that it's been the pattern. Market gyrations over middle east problems are short lived. Btw, the market does not = the economy imo.

Anyway I hope GSXM continues heading north!

Edited by MGsimba77

Someone got pretty lucky with the last 9.8 sale of ~3k below recent FMV. I think 9.8 maybe 9.6 are low enough consus to be able to absorb a major economic shock without too much damage. Census is 179 & 364 for total unrestored copies currently. 

The us economy is so huge it can immunize itself from almost any headwind. Two potential threats it cannot withstand is the national debt which just crossed 23 trillion (~70k per citizen) at some point that number will be too much to bear. The debt clock in NYC is going to run out of room on the billboard. Another hazard is the possibility of another Lehman Brothers style bankruptcy circa 2008 triggering another "great recession" or worse! If it triggers a run on the banks it could turn into a depression overnight! At such point I don't even think comics would be immune 😥.

I'm not buying these rosy econ numbers for a moment! Imo it's a house of cards. This is why I take the most cautious approach I can when it comes to investing. I'm young enough where I can play the long game which means heavier on commodities (precious metals) lighter on paper. It requires discipline but I think it's a better safer long run strategy 

If only @BITCOINSWAMI was around to advise you in your venture... 

But what do I know... for all I know he might not be able to offer any sound advice on GSXM1 and just hand out advice on Funko Pops...

Nah... that would be silly.

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

If only @BITCOINSWAMI was around to advise you in your venture... 

But what do I know... for all I know he might not be able to offer any sound advice on GSXM1 and just hand out advice on Funko Pops...

Nah... that would be silly.

GSX 1 doesn’t feature an appearance by Carnage.  Ergo...drek.